Carrying as a support.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lythicos Ra

06-21-2012

I main support. I love playing it, and I prefer it. But, a support generally can't carry.
AD/AP carries? Yeah, damage and stuff. Tanks? Yeah, pro initiates and stuff. Support? Ye-Wait. Nevermind, my carry is very passive/unskilled, gimping me of assists and gold(A support cannot do much by themselves)

Not looking for "Pick another role; Fk noob uninstall;"

And I'm speaking of solo queue, not ranked.
Disclaimer:Not necessarily saying my carries suck. Just that I am helpless if they are.

Tl;dr I main support, but not at a skill level needed(or just bad luck?) to carry, but I cannot carry consistently as other roles. How can I fix that?

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-21-2012

Well honestly, you are indirectly hozed if ANY of your roles are baddies. A terrible jungler will just feed, or afkfarm and never put any pressure on your bottom, even if you are pushed to your own tower.

Mid losing ensures enemy mid comes bot and ganks you periodically, whereas a good mid helps you out by ganking.

Top losing doesnt impact you for a while, but eventually in teamfights will show. Plus the enemy fed Riven/Irelia/etc will start bending everyone over.

So its not just having a bad AD carry that messes you up.
-----------------------------------------------

You might consider playing more aggressively with your support and/or playing different ones. A blitzcrank for example can get a Grab/Knockup/Ult and do a ton of damage to the enemy...after they have burned their first flash that is.

Even the most retarded AD carry will know to rightclick them when you do this and hopefully do other stuff.

A lulu can really wear down the enemy with her constant poking and brush control.
A soroka can max her Infuse instead of heal and do a Free 700 range nuke/silence every 10 sec or so.
Alistar can look for opportunities to piledrive the enemy into a wall to ministun, then Pulverize.

But yeah, other than Blitzcrank it is difficult for a support to really 'carry' the team and have a huge impact directly.

Boomstick II

06-21-2012

If you ward up everywhere that will help too (and ping warnings). A lot of people are dumb in this game, but most of them should know that if they see 2 people coming in to gank they should get back.

Strill

06-21-2012

It depends on what kind of support you're playing as. If you're a passive sustain support like Soraka, I don't know that there's much you can do, but if you're an aggressive support like Alistar, Blitzcrank, or Leona, you can take Teleport just incase your laning partner is bad, so you can at least protect the other lanes who hopefully have more competent people. Teleport ganks are no joke, especially if the people there are smart enough to ward the river brush, since that lets you teleport in hidden, and hopefully behind the people you're attacking.

Starfyre7

06-21-2012

If you play as Lux, (Lux is considered a support due to her w but is often played as mid), you can be a good ap carry. However, I don't know whether you mean that you want to play a support character or play as a support on bot. If it is the former, then just play a champion like Lux or Soraka at mid. The latter is much harder, as supports are generally lower leveled and have much less gold than carries (if played correctly).

Kavurcen

06-21-2012

Also keep in mind that a lot of characters can 'support' in lane. If you're playing Garen laning with Miss Fortune, if you just keep to the bushes and concentrate on zoning and on occasion poking while MF farms, maybe spending a good amount on sight wards, you're 'supporting' her, regardless of kit. So you're not necessarily a support character, but you're lending a hand to your carry without taking what they need to be effective later in the game, and come that time you're effective as well since hopefully you've picked up some assists, and maybe even a kill or two if the circumstances are right, considering a tank hopefully doesn't need much farm.
No, you won't be nearly as effective as a Soraka or even an Alistar, but the role you've taken regardless of ability is very much 'supporting'.