Kennen. AP, ASPD/DMG or Hybrid?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SoundTribe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmrush View Post
I main Kennen. I've been playing Kennen for awhile now. I played him shortly after release, and then I picked him back up about a month ago. I have experience with a variety of builds pre and post buff. So here are my thoughts:

Recently, I've been using an AP build. I've noticed this is quite effective. Now, his AP ratios are not great, so I try to focus more on magic penetration (guise, sorc boots, abyssal, runes) and this allows him to do considerable damage especially if you can pull off the old 1, 2, 3, stun.

Before the patch I played an AS build with Madred's Bloodrazor as the prime source of damage. This was highly effective due to chain stunning, but the problem is that they have altered his passive so that subsequent stuns are no longer as effective. I am not saying an AS build is inviable, but perhaps there is more room for an AS/AP hybrid now than an almost pure AS build.

AD builds can pump out a lot of damage, but I never found myself quite as effective as my AS build was or my AP build currently is. It's almost like I hit a ceiling and just can't keep up with the damage output of other characters late game. I'd normally fall back and rely on my stuns to really help the team, but I'm unsure how this will fair with the rework of his passive.

On the other hand, Ken now has an ult which is good for everyone. I'd like to work more with AP/AS hybrids. I think there's potential here that could cover for his declining usefulness in fights that last longer than a few seconds. Kennen tends to run out of energy fast and then has to step out for a bit.

If you're just starting Kennen, or are a little unsure, I'd probably begin with a pure AP build.

Hope this helps.
This is what i do, build sorcerers, haunting then go ap + as items like hextech and then grab a trinity and finnaly usually get a madreds or whatever i need for the other team.

Sc3ptor

08-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voosham View Post
What Items would you take?
I use:

-Boots of Swiftness (I'd occasionally switch it out for Mercury Threads if the team has more than one CC champion)

-Rylai's Crystal Sceptor

-Void Staff

-Wit's End or The Black Cleaver

-Nashor's Tooth

-Stark's Fervor

These are the items I usually use but just note that I do not build these items in the order shown here. I build them according to the current game I'm in so these items may go in any order depending on what your opposing team is like.

Enjo

08-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmrush View Post
I main Kennen. I've been playing Kennen for awhile now. I played him shortly after release, and then I picked him back up about a month ago. I have experience with a variety of builds pre and post buff. So here are my thoughts:

Recently, I've been using an AP build. I've noticed this is quite effective. Now, his AP ratios are not great, so I try to focus more on magic penetration (guise, sorc boots, abyssal, runes) and this allows him to do considerable damage especially if you can pull off the old 1, 2, 3, stun.

Before the patch I played an AS build with Madred's Bloodrazor as the prime source of damage. This was highly effective due to chain stunning, but the problem is that they have altered his passive so that subsequent stuns are no longer as effective. I am not saying an AS build is inviable, but perhaps there is more room for an AS/AP hybrid now than an almost pure AS build.

AD builds can pump out a lot of damage, but I never found myself quite as effective as my AS build was or my AP build currently is. It's almost like I hit a ceiling and just can't keep up with the damage output of other characters late game. I'd normally fall back and rely on my stuns to really help the team, but I'm unsure how this will fair with the rework of his passive.

On the other hand, Ken now has an ult which is good for everyone. I'd like to work more with AP/AS hybrids. I think there's potential here that could cover for his declining usefulness in fights that last longer than a few seconds. Kennen tends to run out of energy fast and then has to step out for a bit.

If you're just starting Kennen, or are a little unsure, I'd probably begin with a pure AP build.

Hope this helps.
And what sort of masteries set would you take with this?

hu4rollz

08-28-2010

Another vote for Haunting Guise > Rylai's (or Abyssal) > Zhonya's

Level Q last for serious AE damage. Also makes farming and pushing easy. I like 9/21/0 with this.

LunarisDream

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-28-2010

Kennen + R = Crowstorm with AP Kennen. Nuff said.

hu4rollz

08-28-2010

Also to those saying his AP ratios suck: his whole combo does 2.3 * AP to everyone in an area not including Q (ratio of .66). Granted his spells aren't as spammy as other AP heroes, but that's still a ton of AE damage. None of his skills individually stand out as AP stars (except maybe his ult), but that's made up for by the fact that every single one of his abilities is an AP nuke.

zzbzq

08-28-2010

I don't consider AD or AS to be valid options. His only benefit to those stats is the passive of his W, which is negligible.

Characters who build AD usually get like 75% use out of it than just their autoattack. Kennen gets like 16% more use out of it.