Kennen. AP, ASPD/DMG or Hybrid?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Enjo

08-28-2010

I recently bought him and want to know the communities view on the best build for him. Ty in advance

AdorableSatan

08-28-2010

He was buffed recently so building AP is pretty **** effective. I've seen some good Vlad-like builds on him, too.

Enjo

08-28-2010

I saw his buffs but the ratios weren't boosted huge like.
I been building him Majority AP with minor hybrid included but iunno what to do really. One guide tells me AP, the other hybrid, the other Aspd. I need more people to guide me tbh.

RedCarmine

08-28-2010

I have never seen an effective dps Kennen. Take that how you will.

GODZEEERAAAAAAAA

08-28-2010

See what works best for you. I played Kennen alot as ASPD and it worked well for me. Hybrid worked better and I can't stand pure AP so do what you prefer and play the best and it should work.

Edit - can also depend on the team, pure AP will give you more survivability if there is a massive amount of dps on the other team

Sc3ptor

08-28-2010

I tend to go a hybrid of AP and DPS with kennen

Enjo

08-28-2010

What items would a Hybrid Kennen go for?

Squee Goblin Nabob

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-28-2010

AP survivability is the way to go.
Doran's shield
Ruby crystal
Boots
Giants Belt
Haunting Guise
Rylai's
Zhonya's

Upgrade the boots to sorc somewhere in there. By that time the game is usually over. After that you're going to want to get a stinger and then a frozen heart. You're not going to be doing wtfdps but you will be dealing a good amount and you'll be able to survive the fight as well as stun everybody a couple of times. Runes are pretty typical, magic pen and health/movespeed quints as for blues and yellows are up to you. 9/21/0 masteries.

Kennen takes a lot of skill and timing to be effective, and he takes practice.

AwwGasm

08-28-2010

AP or hybrid. AS/AD is pretty lackluster and only AS synergises with Surge to an extent

If you go AP with him you would be banking on his Lightning Rush and Ult combo, and pile on AP items that come with survivability (Rylai, Abyssal are great, also gives utility) since you'll be in the middle of the teamfight to land your skills and want to live past that.

For a hybrid build Guinsoos and Nashors come to mind for AS synergy with Surge with sustained damage along with a very spammable Shuriken, and still having good AP values to be able to dish out some damage when you Lightning Rush and Maelstrom into fights after your tank. If I do go hybrid though I usually skip Nashors for a Lichbane then get it after Lich.

Farmrush

08-28-2010

I main Kennen. I've been playing Kennen for awhile now. I played him shortly after release, and then I picked him back up about a month ago. I have experience with a variety of builds pre and post buff. So here are my thoughts:

Recently, I've been using an AP build. I've noticed this is quite effective. Now, his AP ratios are not great, so I try to focus more on magic penetration (guise, sorc boots, abyssal, runes) and this allows him to do considerable damage especially if you can pull off the old 1, 2, 3, stun.

Before the patch I played an AS build with Madred's Bloodrazor as the prime source of damage. This was highly effective due to chain stunning, but the problem is that they have altered his passive so that subsequent stuns are no longer as effective. I am not saying an AS build is inviable, but perhaps there is more room for an AS/AP hybrid now than an almost pure AS build.

AD builds can pump out a lot of damage, but I never found myself quite as effective as my AS build was or my AP build currently is. It's almost like I hit a ceiling and just can't keep up with the damage output of other characters late game. I'd normally fall back and rely on my stuns to really help the team, but I'm unsure how this will fair with the rework of his passive.

On the other hand, Ken now has an ult which is good for everyone. I'd like to work more with AP/AS hybrids. I think there's potential here that could cover for his declining usefulness in fights that last longer than a few seconds. Kennen tends to run out of energy fast and then has to step out for a bit.

If you're just starting Kennen, or are a little unsure, I'd probably begin with a pure AP build.

Hope this helps.