"Core Build" Order and Discussion (Nasus, and others)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

svartingr

08-27-2010

Let's say I'm playing Nasus.

The "core build" as suggested by Hyfe is Aegis, Sheen, and Merc Treads. (I follow this build.)

However, my question is, are "core builds" something that need to be rushed, or does it depend on the situation, where maybe a Banshee's Veil or Randuin's or whatever is more important?

In my almost-full premade with some friends, I usually end up tanking as Nasus, and by the time I get my core build built, I'm too squishy to be tanking.

This could just be a problem with Nasus and my character choice, but the question still stands.

The Drippy Sink

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-27-2010

Even core builds can change based on the game. If you're finding yourself to be too squishy, sacrifice building Sheen and go for something to increase your survivability. While having the offensive boost from Sheen is nice, you just said that you're providing a tank for your team. So, naturally, if things aren't going well enough to support you having that tiny bit of offense, then scrap it and make yourself harder to kill instead.

Being more supportive and fulfilling your role as a tank is often more valuable than having the extra attack power from something like Sheen. It all really depends on the game. I play Warwick, and a lot of people will laugh at me for this, but as the core of the offensive build I'm testing with him I build:
Madred's Bloodrazor, Sorcerer's Shoes, and Malady.

But depending on how the game is going, I will frequently find myself building Thornmail or Banshee's Veil before Malady to increase my survivability in fights rather than getting Malady's bonuses. So, even though Malady is in my core three items, I adapt to the current fighting, as I recommend everyone learn to do.

Learning where you can and can't make changes to your build, or when you need to put off upgrading an offensive item so you can grab a slightly defensive one, is a huge part of the strategy of this game, and while building your items to counter one specific hero is bad, it can be beneficial to consider what kind of damage is going to be more prevalent, what kind of abilities are going to be getting tossed around frequently, and how much crowd control your opponents have.

This is just general, for the sake of saying it kind of knowledge, and I'm sure most players already have a pretty good grasp on this concept, but no matter how long or hard you sit down and iron out the perfect build concept that you want to use for your champion, always keep in mind that there should be room for adaptation and change.

Personally, I rarely plan my builds much farther than my fourth item. I take comfort in knowing that I can have two slots available for adapting to the opposing team and still have room for everything I planned for my character to purchase.

This is my input on this matter, and if you feel the above was too much, then read below.

Tl;dr: Allow yourself to adapt to the opposing team. Don't always stick yourself in a build, and think "I HAVE to buy this, then this, then this". Change things up based on how the game is playing out. If everything's going just swimmingly and you can build your core and additional items, then great. Otherwise, be prepared to make changes and adjustments, Every. Single. Game.

Good luck to you all. Good night.

AMonkeyCourier

08-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisaang View Post
Malady's bonuses
What bonuses?

El Hebrew Hammer

08-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkeyCourier View Post
What bonuses?
this

Hyfe

08-28-2010

If you want pure tank and don't care about dmg output just drop the sheen. Grab the Aegis and then rush situational tank items.

A core build is is like saying "with my playstyle I will typically get at least these items almost every game". Doesn't mean there is no room for variation or improvement.

For example, if someone else on your team is getting Aegis, you are the main tank, and the enemy team is almost entirely physical... you aren't going to get ANY of that core build. Instead you should probably grab Ninja Tabi and rush Randuins/Frozen Heart/Thornmail/Sunfires.

Be flexible.