Okay, so, how do I counter Garen ? Needing help.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shin101

08-27-2010

I have mained garen for quite some time and he is rather simple to shut down, stun. Period. He looks like an idiot spinning in place like that and feel free to laugh at him. Garen is an early game champ and is also powerful midgame with a youmuus however, most garens go tank due to the insane survivability. This is wrong and you should laugh at them as soon as you hit the mid game as if you stacked a bit of armor the only relatively threatening about a tank garen is his ultimate. So just stun him if he's DPS/crit or ignore him like the pesky fly he is if he's tank.

Cat or Serpe

08-27-2010

in a 1vs1 hit when hs judgment is on CD then run away as he spins trying to avoid damage, having a stun helps.
in teamfights force him in the middle of your team by keeping all the squishies away from him.
Obviusly garen has his natural counter. the 3 demacian army people are perfect to kill one another:
as Xin gets facemelted by garen, he's easily destroyed by Poppy 1vs1 and in teamfights she can just charge him where he doesn't want to be.

JungleHunter

08-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashky View Post
Well, long story made short, there has been a Garen in my last 10 out of 15 matches.
He's hard to kill, a real pain. I've tried everything. Here's how it went.

Tried to out-dps him with a caster. No chance. His silence is way too long for any caster to survive until you can cast a spell again. In the laning phase he would just outrun me with Boots of Swiftness + Q and destroy my squishy champion with his E. Later, when I would do more damage with skills, his Q's silence disables me too much and I can die easily, even when he's not fed. Survival items didn't help much, not even Banshee's Veil.

Tried to outlast him with a tank. Everything was okay in the laning phase. He would still outrun me with Boots of Swiftness and Q, but I don't die to his E because I'm a tank. Later I make a kill on him, fair and square, 1 on 1. Guess what. He returns with Youmuu's Ghostblade and grinds my face. When I revive, a little time passes and he grinds my face again. My 200 armor not affecting his damage output around level 12. Banshee's Veil was decent, but not enough.

I've never seen Garen lose, except for the dumb ones that were always on my team.
Squishy champions are rolled by his silence and high damage from E. Tanks are rolled by his E and R. Fighters stand a small chance against him, but it's not enough.
But I've seen him do more damage with his E than Ryze's 3-skill nuke, I've seen him pop-up his W and then solo 3 enemies, I've seen him getting away with Q+E.
People say he's not OP. No, I'm not QQing. But if he's not OP, then he can be countered.

So, my question is: how do I stop this unstoppable meatgrinder of doom ? He has long silence (Q), good damage reduction (W), high damage (E,R).
And, please, don't reply with "stop QQ he's not op", "l2p noob" or "you can't stop him".
Whatever you do just don't pick Urgot.. or you'll be in two again.

Ashky

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleHunter View Post
Whatever you do just don't pick Urgot.. or you'll be in two again.
Hahahaha, good one dude !

Anyways, thanks for the quick replies. I'll solo queue once more and follow your advices. It's sure to be a Garen on the enemy team, it's like a friggin' invasion !

Cheers !

Lee Wang

08-28-2010

I'm sorry but this is gonna be a post that can be summed up as l2p.

Garen is pretty effective early on, needing no mana having good dps skills and a squishie killer ult. However he very far from being impossible to beat. For one, everything garen does Cho'gath does better. And secondly, you shouldn't target garen anyway he doesnt do any dmg beyond the laning phase except for his ult. For super squishie casters this is a bit different, but he is made to counter these characters and you will have far larger problems with a good yi or shaco(not anymore).

Maybe you can tell us what you played for characters? And item builds.

MulletPower

08-28-2010

Also if you want a good counter pick, Olaf is a great counter imo. His E goes right through all of Garen's armor/courage. Also Olaf should be just as tanky but deal more damage.

VoiceofTreason

08-28-2010

I roll with an exhaust on my Garen, silence the mage, exhaust the dps, all while spinning on them. I would say the best Garen gets early dps then switches to tank quickly after or during mid game. A Garen that farms his W early also has 100mr/100 armor by lvl 18 without items, it is important to get magic pen or armor pen when rolling against him and a main tank.

Snares and stuns are what make Garens have bad games, it makes it very hard. If you see a Garen pick morg/ryze and make sure they lane against him, they both can keep him off off minions if he wants to regen with harass, and can snare him while he tries to close the gap...take out his early kills and he cant be as much dps or tank later in game. Also a lot of people push in lanes versus Garen for some reason...the more space for him to pop ghost or ghostblade and spin you down, keep the minions on your turret.

0Wolfheart0

08-28-2010

His entire damage output relies on his E. While it does a great amount of damage early and mid-game, it will scale poorly late game, leaving him without anything to do for an entire teamfight except silence someone for 2 sec and finish an already dying enemy with R (since his autoattacks are ****). If he's built full dps with no survivability to boost his E chances are that not only he's a bad garen, but his W won't be enough to survive a good focusing. The only time when Garen is a terrible threat for an entire team is when he gets heavily fed early on, so he can build dps and survivability and faceroll without being squishy. He's like a Pantheon. He's a threat early on, but don't feed him and he will become almost useless lategame. Unfortunately, you play casters, so you'll have an hard time, but just remember that a Garen with E in cd is an useless Garen =p

Dimensionist

08-28-2010

*reads topic*

ezreal

as an alternative: pick garen or ban garen

/thread

p.s. also Nasus