New map concept: Void Invasion

1234511 ... 48
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Katsuni

06-20-2012

League of Legends is a pretty potent PvP game, with some really awesome concepts to it, of this there's no doubt!

That being said, however, the popularity of things such as Co-op VS AI have shown that people also like a bit of a mixture, as well. Sometimes it's nice to relax with a game where you're still playing with friends or a team, but you don't want to deal with the regular PvP stuff.

So, since a few concepts have been suggested before, I've considered merging them together into a greater whole design, with the intent of team play being valuable, and expanding upon the IP to add some of the plot elements which have been hinted at for some time now.

The Void has been a threat since the game was released, with Cho'gath being the first of a suggested many, though Kog'maw's our only other real taste of the void. Malzahar and Kassadin are related to such, but aren't truly Void creatures, and essentially fail to really expand upon the concept other than to say "rawr yeah it sure is scary stuff, we've seen it, even though you haven't!"

So, here's what I suggest:

New map: Void Invasion (can also have a second version for the Shadow Isles)
Name / Location: Icathia (Thanks to SonsofaBastages for pointing out it's an ideal rift =3 )
5 player Co-op map vs AI

Four lanes in the cardinal directions (North, East, South, West) and one nexus in the middle. (Previously this was 3 lanes, but I've since decided it's a minor enough risk that it'd likely work. There's no need for a long distance from the center with this set up)

The normal minions are replaced with void spawn, which every new wave, grow a little bit stronger. They start pretty simple, but each new spawn they gain a little damage and a little health, as well as slightly increased stats.

You start out taking your lanes like normal, killing off the minions, but at some point, they start to overwhelm your own forces of minions. Soon, it becomes an unending tide of gradually stronger enemies, with larger and larger minions pushing you back to your base.

Every 5 minutes, a miniboss spawns in a random lane, which has a number of abilities similar to a raid boss, like you'd find in an MMO or Diablo 3 or something else of the sort. They have a variety of attacks which can be avoided, and require a tank to be present to chew through the harshest of blows while your team focuses them down.

There are a few different minibosses, and the game progresses steadily over time until the 30 minute mark when the final boss spawns, which is considerably stronger than anything faced before, with some un-dodgable abilities (require QSS, cleanse, or Veil, etc), and the void spawn all become larger brutes, overwhelming your defenses if you don't have your AoE casters keeping them at bay while you fight off the boss.

NOTE: Bosses and Minibosses will be targetable as if they were champions by flagging them as such, otherwise many champions would be severely underpowered, or practically useless. There's also the matter that these bosses are a single large unit, instead of multiple smaller ones, so will tend to need those "champion-only" abilities to target them which tend to be specialized in killing single big targets. (Thanks NecroWolf for the reminder of this point! )

Additionally, your own minions can be upgraded, as can your defenses such as towers, by purchasing extra items from a special option available on this map's shop only, which allows for your base defenses to fight back, by adding additional buildings. Purchasing an upgrade can allow for a lane to get minions with more damage, more defense, or upgrading the towers in that lane to AoE attacks and such, to help stave off the endless hordes of Void Spawn.

In the end, it's possible to win, but it's a difficult task that will require a well coordinated team, able to both fight back constant waves of enemy minions which are steadily growing in size, as well as beating back bosses as well.

There's the possibility to drive into enemy territory, and attempt to defeat a guardian of a Void Portal, where the Void Spawn pour out from, and if the guardian is defeated, it'll make that lane a fair bit easier to fight off for a bit, until a new guardian appears a few minutes later. The guardians get stronger each time they die, however, meaning you have to really consider and weigh the timing on when to send a group in to kill them, especially since their lanes may be weakened while they're busy fighting a guardian instead of holding back the swarm of void spawn beating at your base.

Buffs will be placed as strategic locations on the map that need to be controlled. For example, the four corners, NE, NW, SE, SW, will each have a global buff attached to them, which include a bonus to AD (about 10 +5/level), a bonus to AP (about 20 +10/level), increased mana / energy regeneration and cool down (same as current blue buff), and a bonus to health regeneration (1.5% of max per second).

Capturing one of these buffs requires fighting, and defeating, a potent jungle minion, and the buff stays on globally until it respawns after 3 minutes. This means every 3 minutes, you have to kill 4 enemies in the jungle to help your entire team out by a considerable amount. It also means you're stuck leaving base, and will require some coordination on your team's part. (EDIT: The buffs section is completely new; I'd been considering holding back on putting this into the main post, but have since changed my mind as I consider it a core concept that probably will be fine even after play testing. )

IP will be awarded based on how far into the level you managed to progress, with each new miniboss defeated being worth an additional value.

The nice part about all of this, is that it's relatively easy to program in, the map would be fully possible to make with a minimal timeframe, would not affect PvP at all, and would teach people about dodging skillshots, lane control, when to backdoor, and other tricks related to learning the PvP game.

This would also pull in a much larger audience and would give people the chance to get their friends who may not like PvP games to join in on them. I know I have a half dozen friends who I flat out simply can't convince to play LoL, even though it's free, because they don't like PvP. Giving an additional option would really help out the company as a whole, as you'd now have players that don't play MOBA's at all joining in, similar to how WoW grabbed people that didn't even play that market previously, by providing as much as possible to every category of gamer.

Overall, I feel it'd be a great addition to the game, and may be just the ticket you need to get your foot in the door with people who would otherwise not play at all, and may be able to draw them into the main part of the game once they've started playing.

It would be fun, relatively low budget to create due to lower balancing issues, and would be awesome to further emphasize the concept of the lore increasing.

You've already got my resume, and I assure you I can make this into a reality, and vastly increase your player base. Even if you decide to decline that offer, I'd still like to see the concept given considerable thought, as I feel it would greatly enhance your player base and the game itself, as a whole, for significantly lower budget than other options may present.

Adding new champions and skins helps a fair bit, but the real way to make profit is to get more people into the game who wouldn't have played at all previously, who now have the full list of champions and skins with which to purchase.

Expanding in this manner is an ideal solution, which is elegant, and nicely wraps up lore, gameplay, and new markets, while still appealing to the current user base.

Thanks for your time, and I hope you consider this seriously! ^.^

EDIT: As a demonstration... I've decided to actually build the map myself in the Warcraft 3 campaign editor. Assuming I can get a small handful of basic champions and make it provide an overlay effect denoting dangerous spots to stand during a boss fight, it should be ready within a few days to a week of continual labour. This map will not, however (Probably! I may change my mind on that =3 ), be available for public release, and will be sent directly to Riot themselves.

Though this was originally going to run on the SC2 engine, I realized that I probably don't need it. Just doing simple effects was taking too long to learn, and if I had a month to work on the project, sure, that'd be fine, but I'm kind of rapidly running out of time here as I have some rather strict deadlines that are outside of my control (mostly financially based ones ;_; ). As such, I've opted to go back to the WC3 engine which I'm more familiar with for now, since I can get a very close approximation of the LoL engine running within a day or two, instead of several weeks.

Updates shall be provided over time as they occur. So far I have Soraka halfway finished, and have managed to successfully implement both CDR and Ability Power ratios into the map. Once I have a fully operational champion and framework for the engine to mimic LoL, I hope to begin work on implementing the level design.

While I'm at it, I'm thinking for the "tank" champion, I may actually program in my own champion design, Nemhain, into the map ^.~ I'm not sure how well it'll work, since she's a 0 cooldown champion that doesn't use mana, and may require some really complex programming to pull her off properly, but it'd be pretty awesome to have a working model of her ^.^ I may not have the time to finish implementing her and may have rely on another champion, such as Amumu instead, but we'll see what I can do!

Anyway, if you're interested in Nemhain, she can be found here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...d.php?t=718392 (consider it a patch notes spoiler ^.~ )

Katsuni

06-20-2012

Rawr bump I guess, knew server down time was a bad time to post this XD

Everyone's so busy complaining they're ignoring all else :O

Magik

06-20-2012

bump

seems like a good idea

NecroWolf

06-20-2012

omg I actually love this idea

ShadyElf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-20-2012

Cool a nice thread in the middle of this ****storm

Good idea I'd definitely play it. Gameplay sounds fun and it involves the void which is my favorite aspect of League lore but sadly one that Riot has neglected.
+1

NecroWolf

06-20-2012

bump for this amazing idea ^^

oh also I would suggest you can choose the game mode during creation like different timers (30 min, 45, hour games or more) and also be able to have bosses be targeted be abilities that normally go at champions

Katsuni

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroWolf View Post
bump for this amazing idea ^^

oh also I would suggest you can choose the game mode during creation like different timers (30 min, 45, hour games or more) and also be able to have bosses be targeted be abilities that normally go at champions
I'd honestly actually suggest that the 30 and 45 minute versions be actually separate maps, that way there can be distinctions between the Void version and a Shadow Isles version, or other variations as they're offered.

Having too many queue options generally leads to one type simply being ignored and hard to find players for, so it's typically better to focus on a specific time frame per map.

In this case, 30 minutes is about average for a game, and you can be pretty much guaranteed you'll be done before 40 minutes in, win or lose.

Also, the thing on the "targeting bosses as if they were champions" was kind of a given, but I should have been clear on that! I'll go back and fix it ^.^

For everyone else's support, thanks. It took a few ninja bumps to get any attention to it at all, due to the constant bickering of white/black knighting going on right now, but hopefully it can be turned into a profitable concept which will be great in the end for lots of people to play ^.^

Haeundae

06-20-2012

Bump

Ornan

06-20-2012

It would be like those moments where all three of your inhibitors down and you have three waves worth of creeps coming in from each direction.

NecroWolf

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ornan View Post
It would be like those moments where all three of your inhibitors down and you have three waves worth of creeps coming in from each direction.

Then you would have one heck of a epic last stand like one of those do or die moments xD

1234511 ... 48