If I Mute

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EyeHearShapes

06-20-2012

So lately i noticed i little button called the mute button and i've decided to use it to its full power, so if someone says one think that offends me that can be as simple as saying noob and i mute them does that make me a poor sport.

KaliChosen

06-20-2012

So this is a real old discussion. On one side, the "if you're offended, it's your problem, hit mute" crowd, and the "muting screws the team further after a d-bag has already ruined morale" crowd.

What it comes down to is that, look, if your personal boundaries are crossed by this language, it hurts your fun time and your performance in game, and you need to just not be exposed, then totally mute. It carries risks, but at least it guarantees you won't hear the ****.

Others'll say toughen up, which, you know, would be great advice if it came with anything practical. There's no toughen up "plan", just the hope that the more you're abused you'll eventually grow desensitized. It's hard to believe a healthy, happy person would actually recommend that. It isn't like striking your shins to toughen them up for kicks in martial arts, it's a corrosive ****bucket that will drown out your capacity for happiness of any kind and the ability to empathize.

But we can be more productive than just muting. We can actively seek the company of groups to play with that take lines against trash. We can bring friends in, make it a group thing, support them while they learn, all that.

Basically it doesn't make you a poor sport, does have a chance of making the game harder to win, but weighed against having to hear an ****** word vomit everywhere it might not be that big a risk. It's whatever, you do your thing.

phatback

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeHearShapes View Post
So lately i noticed i little button called the mute button and i've decided to use it to its full power, so if someone says one think that offends me that can be as simple as saying noob and i mute them does that make me a poor sport.
If a supervisor/manager at worked called you an idiot for screwing something up, would you ignore them for the rest of your time there?

EyeHearShapes

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatback View Post
If a supervisor/manager at worked called you an idiot for screwing something up, would you ignore them for the rest of your time there?
lol thats true work is a bit more serious though

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatback View Post
Yes.