Help me pick an ideal champion?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

In Circles

06-20-2012

Looking at our repetoire of bursty champions LeBlanc really does come to mind. Your reckless head-first charging would work well with her blink, huge burst, get in and get out. You can also look at Ahri, who can be built fairly tanky while still dealing a large amount of damage.

For some melee, take a look at Irelia.Her early game is meh, but with a combination of items, her true damage, gap closers, stuns, and her near immunity to CC, you can really charge into a full team and destroy any single person in a matter of seconds.

DemonicUtensil

06-20-2012

My main advice would be to stop looking for champions you'd be good at with your current skillset and find champions that you want to play. Then, figure out what you're doing wrong and improve it.

To me it looks like your main problem is running at things when you shouldn't be.

Anyway, maybe pick some champions that have good escapes? Corki and Tristana are ranged AD carries (much like MF) that can jump away when needed. Just make sure to be extremely careful when using rocket jump on Tristana. You shouldn't use it in a team fight unless you know you're going to get a kill or assist (which will let you jump out again)...

Caitlyn is another option. She is a ranged AD carry with only one escape (compared to two on Trist), but has higher base range and doesn't rely so much at jumping on top of things.

Nidalee is a relatively complicated champion but between her passive (15% extra move speed for 2 seconds after entering a bush) and her cougar form (W in cougar form is a dash with a low cooldown) she's rather hard to pin down. Also, if using her spear primarily, you don't need to really get close.

Tryndamere's ult makes him unkillable for a little while, as well as a spin which acts like a dash to get away or over walls.

Most tank champions (Malphite, Rammus, etc) tend to excel at running at things and not exploding instantly. They can die if the entire team focuses them for a long period, but it's often a pain in the ass...and in a teamfight, if everyone's jumping on you, then you're doing your job.

toir thatswhatsh

Recruiter

06-20-2012

miss fortune has great damage output and good lain sustain so thats who i would pick she is also a very good ad range carry

Fall Out Braum

06-20-2012

Judging from you wanting someone you can be sort of reckless with but still get some kills, I would reccommend Dr. Mundo or Sion. Both of their ultis can keep them alive through some of the craziest situations. Mundo is melee, but he can throw cleavers extremely quickly that slow and do decent damage. Sion is also melee, but he has a ranged stun, and if you go AD and pop ulti, you can 1v1 fisticuffs with just about anyone. I'm sure you'll find a champion you like, just might take a little while. Get some practice with ones you like too. There's a difference between being good with a specific champ and being good at league; once you get a bit more experienced at LoL you'll be able to pick up new champions really quick. Good luck!

BradmasterB

06-20-2012

I feel like I have the same type of playstyle based on what you have said. One thing that I've been learning to do is reign myself back a bit instead of always charging in like I did when I first started. That's really the most important skill I've learned from this game, lol. Anyways, my favorite character, and the only character that I've really done well with overall is "Gangplank". Read some guides on him if you're interested in learning more, but as a basic rundown, he has a passive slow on attack, up to 21% with a DoT, a Q that is ranged and applies "on hit" effects, a W that self heals and removes CC abilities, an E that provides a passive attack speed and movement speed bonus and activates to double them and apply half to your team, and an Ultimate ability that is an area of effect DoT and slow that can target anywhere on the map. You can build him super tanky if you want and still have pretty good kill ability, otherwise you can build as a glass cannon with tons of crit and attack damage that can 2-3 hit anything that's not a tank end-game. Give him a try

Angeleno

06-20-2012

Ranged carries are fun to play because they pump out amazing damage and rack up an enviable body count, earning them all the glory at the end of a match. However, that awesome offensive power needs to come at a cost, and that cost is defense. As Miss Fortune or a similar champion, you will be easy to kill, so you need to exercise caution when engaging and keep an escape route open at all times.

If you truly enjoy this role, then my suggestion is that you continue playing it and simply work on playing a tighter game so that you take less heat. The benefits to doing this are that you can continue playing your favorite champions and the role that you love, and you will become a better player by forcing yourself to learn and improve your game instead of just switching to a champion that will be more forgiving of your mistakes.

However, if it is your desire and preferred playstyle to be aggressive and get into as many fights (and come out the victor) as possible, my recommendation is to try out a tank.

Like you, I started out playing ranged carries. I didn't do very well with them because I like to play aggressively, and so I died a lot and didn't get the level lead that a carry needs to wipe the floor with the enemy team. My more experienced friends suggested I play a tank, but I didn't want to for the longest time because tanks don't get the glory that carries do. They usually get assists instead of kills, since their role is to protect teammates by taking aggro for them, not killing things.

However, I have taken up tanking and found that tanks can be a lot of fun, because they have high sustainability (i.e. the ability to keep playing without dying or having to return to base to heal/shop) and can play very aggressively. Many of them have very fun abilities as well. I have been playing Shen and love using his ultimate to turn the tide of a battle. I don't know if Alistar is a true tank, since I don't play him, but he is at the very least a bruiser and excellent lane pusher (his heal will heal nearby minions, too!) and can be built tanky, which allows you to play aggressively. If you don't already have him, you can get Alistar (and a cool skin for him) completely free by subscribing to Riot's YouTube channel. Since you don't have to spend RP or IP to get him, it's totally risk free to try him out, so you might want to for that reason alone!

The thing about tanks that you won't like is that their damage output is very low compared to what you're used to playing as a ranged carry. However, that doesn't mean you can't thrash your enemies if you play your cards right. I've gotten 11 kills, <3 deaths, and >10 assists in a match with Shen, and saved teammates' butts with my ult on multiple occasions. I might not get recognition from them for it, but if I have a good game like that with Shen, I always walk out feeling awesome.

Ultimately, you should play what you want to play and focus on being good not just at playing the champs you love, but at playing the game in general. Farming, map awareness, positioning, and other basic concepts like these are essential to victory at high level play, and the earlier you start focusing on these things, the better off you will be in the long run.

Eeagleagle

06-20-2012

you want a bruiser.
Jax is easy, versatile, and fun. and overpowered!

his q is a jump attack that damages an enemy or can be used to hop to an ally/minion to escape.
his w makes his next attack do bonus magic damage
his e causes you to dodge all auto attacks for 2 seconds, and then it stuns enemies around you after reactivation or the end of the 2 seconds
his ultimate has two parts. passively, every third auto attack in a row will deal a large amount of magic damage. the active is a defensive steroid.

The best part about Jax is that he does a large amount of physical damage, magical damage, and he gets pretty tanky. He has good sustained damage and very good burst damage. And he has defensive cooldowns to keep you alive for a long time.

Riot SeitanBBQ

Software Engineer

06-20-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Hi Dratini17 - welcome back to the League!

Another fun option you might like would be Singed. When his ult is on, you can build him quite tanky - you can be pretty reckless and have a great time running around disrupting the other team. He's pretty forgiving, and if you're lucky you can get people to chase you.

Apocalypse619

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by seisgatos View Post
Hi Dratini17 - welcome back to the League!

Another fun option you might like would be Singed. When his ult is on, you can build him quite tanky - you can be pretty reckless and have a great time running around disrupting the other team. He's pretty forgiving, and if you're lucky you can get people to chase you.
You have said to much... D: now they know my secret..

I know you said you like ranged but i think you would really like Poppy. Her Ult allows you to be reckless for a few secs and pound some face in...

Apollinarius

06-20-2012

Alistar or Malphite sound like they would be perfect for you.

Alistar loves to dive. You don't have to build him very tanky because he has so many disables and an awesome ultimate. Learning to pull off his W-Q combo is lots of fun, and once you master it, you will have a blast. For damage, a Trinity Force is all you need. You dive into a fight and basically sit around casting spells and doing damage from your passive and Trinity procs.

Malphite is a bit different. You pick him against AD heavy teams and then stack armor. His core items are Philo Stone and Heart of Gold. From there, build a Sunfire cape, Frozen heart, and then you can either upgrade your Philo or your HoG into Shurelia's or Randouin's respectively. You hit your W, and towers will only tickle. He is so much fun to play, and free this week so you can try him out.