Support Shen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nightmare956

06-19-2012

Surely it's possible; but is it viable? He has a lot of utility AND he has no mana issues. On paper it seems like a great idea, he can even dish out a decent amount of damage. It almost seems like he would make a great kill lane style support like Blitz or Ali.

Thoughts?

Saolue

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-19-2012

I've tried it, whenever I do, my AD doesn't understand the fact that he gets health back by attacking the minion or champion with the floating dagger over their head...

Nightmare956

06-19-2012

But that's another reason I feel it would work. It's almost like free sustain for your AD

midillusion

06-19-2012

Yes, Shen can be used as a support, but his short range makes him much less viable than either Blitz or Leona in a kill lane. Shen's range with his taunt is only 600 yards, compared to the 700 of Leona's Zenith Blade (not to mention the even longer range on her ulti) and the 925 of Blitz's rocket grab. This means that if Shen wants to initiate the enemy AD carry, he has to get much closer than the others and is therefore more at risk to being kited and harassed.

XCodes

06-19-2012

I've been experimenting with this on occasion on normals. The biggest issue that I come across is that you'll push your lane and take CS if you level Q like the typical Shen builds do. As such, I've tried leveling E first and the overall difference isn't very noticeable. There are pros and cons to each skill setup.

As a support, you're going to want Gold/10 items. Kage's Lucky Pick and Heart of Gold are the only ones that really do you any good, and the former doesn't turn into anything particularly useful for you. As such, just buy these two and hold on to Kage's Lucky Pick. Chances are the game will end before you need the item slot, so it's decent enough.

XCodes

06-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by midillusion View Post
Yes, Shen can be used as a support, but his short range makes him much less viable than either Blitz or Leona in a kill lane. Shen's range with his taunt is only 600 yards, compared to the 700 of Leona's Zenith Blade (not to mention the even longer range on her ulti) and the 925 of Blitz's rocket grab. This means that if Shen wants to initiate the enemy AD carry, he has to get much closer than the others and is therefore more at risk to being kited and harassed.
Shen's E is also much harder to dodge than either of those two abilities you mentioned.

midillusion

06-19-2012

It doesn't matter how hard a skill is to dodge if you are too far away to use it on someone XCodes.

XCodes

06-19-2012

Quote:
It doesn't matter how hard a skill is to dodge if you are too far away to use it on someone XCodes.
The range of a skill doesn't matter if it doesn't hit. Yes, Blitz's hook has a max range of 925, but you learn to dodge a 925 range skillshot at level 1 against easy bots.

midillusion

06-19-2012

Unless you are already moving or have the reactions of a fly, Blitz will grab you if you are out in the open.

XCodes

06-19-2012

Quote:
Unless you are already moving or have the reactions of a fly, Blitz will grab you if you are out in the open.
Please, I suck and even I can dodge Blitz's Q.