Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Farming Emphasis = bad, LoL's farming = worse

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SlyGoat

11-01-2009

It struck me today that this game has a lot of resources which promote ganking that DotA didn't have; the neutral buffs, the dragon, baron nashor being incredibly powerful.

However, I feel like the main resource in DotA does not even exist in LoL: Lanes.

In DotA, having control of all 3 lanes gave your team free and easy farming, taking control of lanes was vital so you could farm, which meant ganking out the hero(es) in that lane.

This led to passive play; because that was just about the only resource. Grabbing roshan was never a big deal, for example. No neutral buffs or dragon. Just the secret shop.

Thus a greater emphasis on farming would not lead to passive play in LoL, I think. Basically in LoL this is what you do; maybe lane til level 4, or 6 for some heroes, or skip it altogether and start grabbing neutral buffs and ganking from level 1. The only time you really visit a lane is if a big creep wave has built up that you can AoE to death from a quick... maybe 200 gold, whereas in DotA you'd get that much from just a few last hits.

Lanes should exist, and should be more beneficial. Farming should be a part of the game past the 5 minute mark. Because when it isn't, it does lead to passive play; I.E. 5 man roaming gank squads all hiding in bushes rather than doing anything.

Farming in LoL does not generate much income or experience, and basically just invites the other team to come and gank/destroy you. It's high risk, low reward. Bumping up gold income (and maybe ramping up experience gain over time? So later in the game you level up faster from creep kills) from killing creeps couldn't possibly hurt, I think.

Even the most farmed carries in LoL can't wipe out full teams, and most have trouble against 2 underfarmed enemies at once if there's any kind of disable between them. It seems very silly to me that the biggest emphasis on the game is supposed to be pushing to the enemy's base, controling the lanes and destroying towers without being killed yourself, and really lanes are the most trivial thing you can do. You'd be better off farming non-buffing neutrals than staying in your lane most of the time.

I apologize that most of this post is ranting, there's a point in there somewhere, if you can find it.

Kingreaper

11-01-2009

I'm currently spinning around an idea that might help balance out the creep kill moneys:

Making the money gained from a creep kill LARGER the closer you are to the enemy base. Would mean that creep kill moneys could be boosted a bit over the course of the game, and not make AoEing a creep wave uber-money-maker.

Would also give more reward for "living dangerously" and pushing to, and past, the enemy tower.

Diogenes

11-01-2009

i agree but was farming in dota fun? not for me boring shit and one of the reasons i played carrys very very rarely...
i also think in a team game it shouldn't be able to whipe out whole teams alone- lol simply has another concept here u farm heroes and no creeps xD

but kingreaper's idea is interesting- would also make trying to push towers against roaming teams more affordable 'cause of the extra money u could get

greetz

SlyGoat

11-01-2009

That's the point of having the lane as an actual resource; when you've already secured the rest of the resources on the map (dragon, buffs, any hero kills you got along the way), if farming is actually worth it, you can do that while you wait for stuff to respawn/something to happen. Rather than just, you know... Sit in brush for the entire game.

That's basically the point I should've made in my first post.

nope

11-01-2009

Quote:
Kingreaper:
I'm currently spinning around an idea that might help balance out the creep kill moneys:

Making the money gained from a creep kill LARGER the closer you are to the enemy base. Would mean that creep kill moneys could be boosted a bit over the course of the game, and not make AoEing a creep wave uber-money-maker.

Would also give more reward for "living dangerously" and pushing to, and past, the enemy tower.

"This idea has some form of potential" -me

Smolder

Recruiter

11-01-2009

But how do you strengthen the importance of lanes, without making jungling pointless? I don't really like jungling at all so someone else will need to defend it.

The first solution that comes to my mind is making lane creeps give a significantly larger amount of gold and exp.

weizur

11-01-2009

Try farming a lane for a while undisturbed and see how greatly powerful you get. If done right with the right champions who can get all the creep kills you can really get some money flowing.

SlyGoat

11-01-2009

Quote:
Smolder:
But how do you strengthen the importance of lanes, without making jungling pointless? I don't really like jungling at all so someone else will need to defend it.

The first solution that comes to my mind is making lane creeps give a significantly larger amount of gold and exp.

Jungling is pretty much as useless as farming anyway. The only reason for the jungle is the buff creeps, and those will never be useless.

SlyGoat

11-01-2009

Quote:
weizur:
Try farming a lane for a while undisturbed and see how greatly powerful you get. If done right with the right champions who can get all the creep kills you can really get some money flowing.

Point being this is impossible unless you're scraping the bottom of the ELO barrel. Even decent solo queuers know to gank the hell out of anyone farming a lane because they're completely vulnerable.

Armored

11-01-2009

As you level up, make the creeps harder to kill, deal more dmg and give more exp at higher levels. Make more skins for the creeps too.

On a side note, allow us to upgrade our creeps some how.