How to keep a level head?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ihatebikeshorts

Senior Member

06-18-2012

So I've run across this problem where I can analyze any given situation in LoL and understand the options accordingly when spectating but when I'm in the actual game it's just full derp mode

Example: A game I was just in as Irelia we had a team comp with fairly weak initiation. What had happened was that we would siege under tower forever and nothing would happen. Now what I should have done the first time that happened was say "Oh we have bad initiation, I need to upgrade my philo into a shurelya's to make it a little bit better". But what actually happened was I started panicing thinking "We need to go- initiate- gogogo-why aren't we going- maybe if I tell my team to they wi- **** enemy kennen ult crapcrapcrapcrap *dead*". I eventually wised up and got the Shurelya's and that certainly did help(that and telling the alistair how to initiate with alistair) but that problem kind of encompasses a lot of my games: I get way too in the moment to think things through logically. Does anyone else here have/had that problem? If so, are there any kind of mental processes I should be going through to avoid that immediate immersion into the very small perspective I get?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FaerellG

Senior Member

06-18-2012

So, that's something I've been trying to work on too. The current solution I have is to try to buy myself time to think. If I'm constantly putting my champion in initiation range of the opponent, I don't have time to look at the big picture for long. So I'll auto path my champion to a safe location and hit B while I think. That way if I need to B I'm already doing it, but I can cancel it if I need to stay. So for me at least the trick is finding time to think in game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ihatebikeshorts

Senior Member

06-18-2012

Yeah that sounds like a good method. Just had another game and I was able to think much more clearly while playing Fiora versus Wu. Realized that most of his harass was going to come from his empowered attack, so I hit reposte as soon as he hit his gapcloser- really easy tell. So that's the kind of thinking that I want to be able to do when playing this game- I want to, instead of treating it like some kind of RPG where I just kind of go with it, I'd like to treat this game more like chess. But you're right, it seems like finding to the time and safety to think things through is one of the main problems because if you put yourself in a risky position you HAVE to be in the game, otherwise you can get caught and then you're dead. Thank you for the advice and I'd love to hear more from you and other players about this issue.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FaerellG

Senior Member

06-19-2012

actually, was thinking about it some more. I do most of my thinking in the pre-game.

As soon as I see who my laning opponent is, I start figuring out what I have to do to win my lane or potentially if I need to lane switch.

Then I look at the rest of it and start considering what the mid-game or endgame could look like.

I try not to keep it stuck in stone either. If I'm really focused I'll start coming up with contingency plans like "well, if the shaco ganks bottom a lot, we'll be in trouble and our jungler will have to camp bottom more....then we'll have to depend on our nasus to farm well in top and carry us late game cause our AD will be weak."

I also find that I tend to have more time to think when I'm playing jungler. I don't have a laning opponent in my face the entire game so I don't have to worry about them. In that sense, I think the jungler really needs to call the shots in an organized 5 man team.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ihatebikeshorts

Senior Member

06-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
actually, was thinking about it some more. I do most of my thinking in the pre-game.

As soon as I see who my laning opponent is, I start figuring out what I have to do to win my lane or potentially if I need to lane switch.

Then I look at the rest of it and start considering what the mid-game or endgame could look like.

I try not to keep it stuck in stone either. If I'm really focused I'll start coming up with contingency plans like "well, if the shaco ganks bottom a lot, we'll be in trouble and our jungler will have to camp bottom more....then we'll have to depend on our nasus to farm well in top and carry us late game cause our AD will be weak."

I also find that I tend to have more time to think when I'm playing jungler. I don't have a laning opponent in my face the entire game so I don't have to worry about them. In that sense, I think the jungler really needs to call the shots in an organized 5 man team.
Yeah, pregame lobby seems like it'd be the most optimal time to be thinking about all of that. Especially with thinking about lategame. It seems like the most common problem I have when trying to assess a situation is what all five enemy players are wanting to do. Kennen is wanting to Q and W for harass, Blitz is going to try to grab someone, Naut's looking to knock us all up at once(giggity), and Swain's vying for the perfect snare. Like thinking about all of that moments before a game changing fight is really difficult because you don't want to be the one who screws up. So yeah pregame and loading would be the times to think about that stuff I guess.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FaerellG

Senior Member

06-19-2012

I remember watching a Day9 daily on breadth vs depth in terms of strategy. The lesson learned was this:
Don't go into a game with 100 different strategies. You'll be crappy at all of them. Have 1 maybe 2 strategies that you know well and learn how to adjust the game/opponents to fit your strategy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-9VL...85CBE95040A003

His commentary is mostly on Starcraft, but it's applicable to any competitive game you play.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nissl

Junior Member

06-19-2012

I used to break into a sweat and mess up a lot in my first few normal games. It's not exactly what you have, but it's close.

Honestly, experience and having been in certain situations before help you think on a fast pace which helps you counter the enemy. Always attempt to predict what they will do before they do it, this is done by knowing your champions and the current items each of you posses. You need to be able to be aware of everything and anything.

It seems like a lot, but slowly you'll be able to glance at a game and know what's up in a second.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ihatebikeshorts

Senior Member

06-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckysena View Post
I used to break into a sweat and mess up a lot in my first few normal games. It's not exactly what you have, but it's close.

Honestly, experience and having been in certain situations before help you think on a fast pace which helps you counter the enemy. Always attempt to predict what they will do before they do it, this is done by knowing your champions and the current items each of you posses. You need to be able to be aware of everything and anything.

It seems like a lot, but slowly you'll be able to glance at a game and know what's up in a second.
This is pretty much the goal- knowing what the enemy is going to do before they do it and react accordingly. What I think would help me the most is having the presence of mind to ask myself what my opponent is going to try to do before it happens. Usually I'm so engrossed in the present that I end up not even attempting to read my opponent. Maybe that's just something that comes with practice though.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Goatbear

Senior Member

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
I remember watching a Day9 daily on breadth vs depth in terms of strategy. The lesson learned was this:
Don't go into a game with 100 different strategies. You'll be crappy at all of them. Have 1 maybe 2 strategies that you know well and learn how to adjust the game/opponents to fit your strategy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-9VL...85CBE95040A003

His commentary is mostly on Starcraft, but it's applicable to any competitive game you play.
Thank you for that. 2 hours later I reply thusly. Don't sweat it, but do learn from it. Even when you win a fight ask yourself what you could have done better and try it next time. And the time after that. And two or three more times. And again under different circumstances. And maybe once more.

Also, specific to the moment in question, when you find yourself built up but unable to initiate then break away. That's actually a good position to be in because they're all bottled up and you have map control. Get Baron, split push, even just move out of sight and when they push you counter gank. This game moves fast and if you're in position for 30 seconds then you're wasting time. Make them waste it, not you.