Help with Maokai build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Unique Kantilope

06-18-2012

So I'd say I'm fairly new to LoL, (only level 19), I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of things but still run into a bit of trouble here and there ( usually when someone feeds like a buffet, but I don't hold it against them). I've tried a few different champs, kassadin, master yi, nasus, and now Maokai in that order. Maokai has been by far my favorite, with nasus and yi tied in second (albeit they are quite different) I love Maokai flexibility, he's a tank that can support by giving a 20% damage absorb to his team, help hank with two strong CC's, harass/bbrush-check/pseudo ward with a long range E, and even boasts a noteworthy burst. He can succeed both in the jungle and in lane. He lacks a weak early or late game (albeit, neither really stand out like shaco's early or veigar's late) . If I've said anything incredibly stupid so far it wouldn't surprise me, like I said, I'm only lvl 19 and still consider myself a noob.

Anywho, onto my build, keep in mind that I have tested some of the level 30 aspects through lesser runes ( which I realize are largely a waste) and testing half my 'goal complete' mastered at a time but obviously can't accurately simulate the real lvl 30 " experience" ( especially considering how people play differently in normal vs low Elo, mid Elo, and high Elo.)

0/22/8 masteries
3 points in armor and MR buffs ea/
Max health per lvl
Veteran's scars and full 70+% speed boost
2 points in indomitable
2 points in CDR per lvl
Full honor guard
Juggernaut

Full good hands and improved support summons
full movement bonus
(skip runes cause I usually let my teammates have em)

If I'm jungling, move 2 point from honor guard to tough skin, and honor guard's last point to runic affinity for blue buff.

9 flat armor seals
9 scaling mr glyphs
9 magic pen marks
3 move speed quints

Start items
Regrowth + mana pot
( Maokai has even worse mana issues than if I were spamming soul fire w/ nasus)

A wee bit in
Regrowth >> Philly stone + boots
Mana problems largely solved, additional income, and the always required boots

Early
Glacial shroud + negatron cloak + null magic mantle
Good resist on both sides added, with some CDR and extra mana as a bonus. Starting to get pretty hardy. Depending on if I have cash to spare, extra cloth shirt or 2, and if my lane opponents are both AD ( which has been common for some reason) then skip the negatron cloak for now, or even the null magic mantle too.

Mid
Glacial shroud ( and any shirts ) >> frozen heart + negatron >> force of nature + boots & null mantle >> mercs + Philly stone >> shurelia's revelierie (SP?)
Core build complete, balanced resists with extra health makes for some nice bulk. Max CDR and extra mana means we can burst very frequently to the point where it wight as well be sustained damage, but more importantly, we are extremely disruptive in team fights and can quickly replace our ult if the fight should move. We've also got added survivability for not just ourselves should things go awry, just pop the speed boost on shurelia's and the whole team can book it right on out.

Late
Here's where idk what to do the most.
I usually make a b-line towards ryleis crystal scepter first for the big old' bunch o' helf and the much needed ap. the slow ain't needed but is a nice assurance for ganks. Next I go lich bane to get more ap, and to bring my mr up to match my physical resist, also I try to space out my bursts with auto's in team fights for the heals from his passive, and to get the most out of the 2 seconds of snare/ knock n' slow each so it's sheen proc is nice too. And for my final item, I'm on the fence between rid of ages and warmog's, it's just a question of offense vs defense. If I haven't had survivability issues I usually go rod of ages, if I'm struggling to stay alive I'll go warmog's, alternatively, if we're already curb stomping them, and they can't scratch me I'll go rabadan's hat. But that's only happened once and it wasn't really late game I was just fed earlier than usual.

Of cours the build carries depending on who the enemy team is comprised of ( like the lol-z cases where they are 100% ad or ap). Or more often , when their ap champs are more support / tank and their team is cc-low I might get ninja tabi over mercs. In fact there was one occasion where I actually had to buy thornmail.

Oh and I use flash-tp when laning
And flash-smite when jungling.

So lemme know what you would change. Any and all help is appreciated so long as its constructive.

Amoc

06-19-2012

I build Mao very different for the jungle. Armor + MR/Level runes are good, but personally I think that attack speed marks are way better on him (for early jungle clearing and for his passive during team fights). Movespeed quints are never bad, but I like to use attack speed quints as well. Late game, Mao will be regenerating 200+ health with almost every auto attack in a team fight, so the faster your're attacking the more beefy he gets.

Personally I don't like building philo stone on Mao. With blue, he doesn't have any mana problems early game, and there are other items you can build which transition into core items later. Shurelya's is nice for chasing/initiating obviously, but I think there are better options. I like to start Cloth Armor + 5 pots (to be built later into FH). Early game, I build boots and 1-2 Doran's rings, and then finish boots and build to Catalyst. With a Doran's Ring and a Catalyst, you'll have the sustain and the beefiness you'll need to roam the jungle and gank lanes whenever it's needed. Catalyst can also be built into RoA, which IMO is one of the best items for him. After that I usually build some combination of Abyssal, Banshee's Veil, Wit's End, Zeke's Herald etc, making sure I'm tanky and I'm going to last in a team fight and be as big of a pain as possible.

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-19-2012

Catalyst into RoA, finish boots if I haven't already, glacial and negatron, upgrade to FH and abyssal/FoN, dcap or some tank item, ward slot. Situational to which kind of damage I'm taking. Other options are reverie, omen, dcap (it bears repeating. not often I get to build this on my tanky-APs, but ahh the satisfaction when I do), mogs, dfg (you know how maokai is ridiculously bursty?...yeah THAT), anything else I feel like building. Haven't worked around to mejai's yet, though.

Unique Kantilope

06-19-2012

so move RoA up in my build? maybe move shurelya's to late game if jungling and rush RoA early?
at the very least it'll be built end mid start late every game.

should i swap in abyssal or zeke's by taking out lich bane?
final item aegis o' legion?

and i like the attack speed marks for jungle build, but i think i'll stick with the move speed quints, faster move speed means faster jungle clears as well, and although his passive procs alot in team fights i feel like the bonus from the marks should cover it well enough, if his passive is getting procced multiple times a second for several seconds in a team fight to the point where quints are needed i'd be surprised.

Powerstoned

06-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique Kantilope View Post
so move RoA up in my build? maybe move shurelya's to late game if jungling and rush RoA early?
at the very least it'll be built end mid start late every game.

should i swap in abyssal or zeke's by taking out lich bane?
final item aegis o' legion?

and i like the attack speed marks for jungle build, but i think i'll stick with the move speed quints, faster move speed means faster jungle clears as well, and although his passive procs alot in team fights i feel like the bonus from the marks should cover it well enough, if his passive is getting procced multiple times a second for several seconds in a team fight to the point where quints are needed i'd be surprised.
If you're going to get RoA, it should be as early as possible. If you can complete the RoA in 12 minutes, you are going to be sitting very pretty through 25 minutes.

El Jobo Loco

06-19-2012

I have mained this guy for about 200 games. I play Mao with AS marks in the jungle, with AP quints and blues, armor yellows. I spec for the Movespeed masteries in Def and Util, and I LOVE the increased-buff-duration mastery.

Usually rushing philo, kindlegem, and glacial shroud because I want maximum dmg from maximum cooldowns. The maxed cooldowns are a life-saver, and an early S. Reverie can win ganks and teamfights by firing it off for your teammates right before you engage with Root so they can follow up at warp speed.

So Reverie, FH, Negatron cloak, Giants Belt, and appropriate boots should be claimed by midgame and then continue to spec however needed to best compliment your team.

This is not the ONLY way. Simply 1. I build for early-game AP burst for ganks and clearing speed, but then itemize towards tank as the game progresses because usually solo q blind normal games lack tanks.

Some days I get bore with TANK and decide to AP-burst outta the jungle for a nice change of flavor. But wind up with some moderate Health/tanky items by late game anyways, just more weighted towards AP.

consider in the jungle, maxing Q first. It saves mana and still does great dmg. Another choices is to max Q slower by bringing W and E up to 2 points each, this balances better, but costs more mana for clearing the jungle.

Kaoelith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-19-2012

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=11784

skills R>Q>W>E, q does more damage than e does and you will be in melee range most of the time

the only thing I think TheOddOne didn't mention is that if you have a passive ap like a lux mid or a true tank top(shen singed) you should get RoA after both gold/10 items

If you need ap on your team or have a tank top, build more of an sturdy ap instead of pure tank gold/10's RoA, Abyssal, Frozen Heart(still amazing on him), Rylais(for the hp not for slow)

Unique Kantilope

06-19-2012

alright, so i've altered my build order when i jungle to :
regrowth >> phil stone >> boots >> cata >> blast >> fin. boots >> RoA
then FH and FoN and finnally a finished shurelia's

when i lane, i push the RoA back a wee bit to either just after one of the two core tank items ( FH / FoN ) or just as im about to finish the second core tank item.not quite reaching the 12 min goal, but thats probably just because im terrible at auto-farming