Support Tank: Why 9 In Utility?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Strill

06-18-2012

I see a lot of guides recommending 9 points in utility for bot support tanks like Leona and Blitzcrank and I don't understand why. Good hands is horrible no matter what you're playing. +2% movement speed is decent, but not fantastic, especially since these champs have their own gap closers. All that's left in utility is mana. Are they really using their skills enough to warrant the mana? I mean they're building philo stones anyway. Isn't that enough?

Wouldn't it be better to go six or so into offense for the CDR, and put the last three points into defense to grab whatever you missed? Honestly Summoner's Wrath and Siege Commander seem a lot more useful than anything in utility.

Amoc

06-18-2012

You don't need anything in the offense tree because you're not going to be last hitting minions and the early stuff in that tree are mostly things like +2 damage or w/e. The CDR is alright I guess but not worth what you give up in utility. Movement speed is awesome to have, especially for people who initiate or set up kills and yes, the mana is really nice to have as well. Someone like Alistair, for example, spams his heal,

Kaoelith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2012

where are you looking? When I saw that I thought I would actually look around but most of the ones I found are variations of the main support build 0/9/21 but there are so many fillers and points you don't need past like 15 support

there are a few 21+ defense and the rest in utility I saw also

I prefer support tree even on tank supports like blitz ali leona, the cdr, gold, and summoner cd, and move speed is all very nice. then defense for more obvious reasons since offensive isn't needed on a tank

Strill

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoc View Post
You don't need anything in the offense tree because you're not going to be last hitting minions and the early stuff in that tree are mostly things like +2 damage or w/e. The CDR is alright I guess but not worth what you give up in utility. Movement speed is awesome to have, especially for people who initiate or set up kills and yes, the mana is really nice to have as well. Someone like Alistair, for example, spams his heal,
Yes the +3 damage is useless just like good hands in utility, but extra ghost speed, -10 armor/mr on exhaust, and +2~4% CDR is not useless at all on a tank.

Catnium

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2012

support tanks already get cdr on their support items and there is already a cdr/lvl talent in the defence tree added together these will net you close to the cdr cap at lvl 18 ( 38.75% out of the top of my head caps at 40% btw) making the cdr from offence tree not needed

Strill

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catnium View Post
support tanks already get cdr on their support items and there is already a cdr/lvl talent in the defence tree added together these will net you close to the cdr cap at lvl 18 ( 38.75% out of the top of my head caps at 40% btw) making the cdr from offence tree not needed
But that requires a frozen heart and/or shurelya's reverie. The former is a late-game item, and the latter requires you lose one of your gp10s, which again is something you're not going to do until later. It's good to have early CDR even if it's "wasted" by the end of the match for the same reason it's good to have flat armor runes over scaling runes even if the flats give less by the end of the match.

bylobog44

06-18-2012

Bottom tier on the utility tree is pretty useless, and the Utility tree in general is a bit lack lustre. -It's the worst of the three trees until the last 2 tiers if you ask me.

Mana is not worthless on support tanks - Alistar for one relies pretty heavily on abilities. Blitz loves mana! Shurelya's is such a good item on Ali, Nunu, etc. that I always build it. On Ali and Nunu it is usually my first tanky item and on Blitz it follows boots and ToG.

Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but I run 9-14-7 on Blitz (taking CDR in offense and Mana Regen in Utility) and 0-21-9 on Ali and Nunu. I don't play Leona. For Blitz, I follow the OP logic - he already has both a movement speed and attack speed buff, so I put the points in CDR and defense.

Kaoelith

06-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strill View Post
But that requires a frozen heart and/or shurelya's reverie. The former is a late-game item, and the latter requires you lose one of your gp10s
you often get glacial shroud after your gp/10 depending on the support. frozen heart though is definitely a late game item if they don't have 2 ad carries(bot and something like a gp jungle)

and shurelya's reverie is worth losing gold/10 since the active makes it amazing to catch people in team fights or to rush a team fight when they aren't expecting it, like at dragon if they didn't ward

Powerstoned

06-19-2012

I don't understand anyone getting 0/21/9 over 9/21/0.

MeltedWater

06-19-2012

I run 0/21/9 myself. A tank can't support if it's dead! And you get plenty of CDR from items (and even runes, if you want). Don't need to waste time getting it in masteries.