How can we improve Dominion's point system?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ohgreatone32

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokel85 View Post
Remove the value for sitting on a point you control. That really shouldn't be rewarded. Sitting in the brush NEAR a point you control could be, though.
I like playing Janna on Dom...and I completely disagree with this.

DiscworldDeath

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Imagine if there was a similar scoring system for Summoner's Rift. Individuals would be awarded points for kills/assists, being near towers, attacking and destroying towers, killing creeps, taking buffs/dragon/baron, etc. Would it add any value or make it any easier to see who is contributing to the team? Not really.
Self pimping, but there sort of is.

GET REKT FGT

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaIfhearted View Post
The problem with showing how much gold you have earned is that it encourages afk farming of waves, when what you SHOULD be doing most of the time is hanging around in the jungle looking to make something happen, and only push the wave if its starting to pile up towards your tower.

Also, showing how much time you spent dead simply encourages people to not die,, which while not necessarily a bad thing, would leave the initiating tanks and bruisers with the lowest scores, and the ranged guys/supports with the highest.

Still not an indicator of how well you did.
I tried to think about that and eventually came up with the same cons to it as you did Really don't know how it'd work.

Quote:
There is only one thing wrong with the point system IMO: Point defense.

I once played a game with a teemo who got first just because he sat on a point the whole game. It wasn't even a key point, it was rarely contested. He then called the rest of the team bad players "Because he got first and didn't work hard for it".

Not that I can think of a way to improve this, but... that was just a baaaaaaad game.
Hence I think the +5 point defense idea should be removed, and points should be rewarded for defending a point successfully in terms of the number of enemies who came, whether the defense was successful or the point was lost, and/or how many ally team players were there to assist (likewise those who assist a successful defend should get the same amount of points). An algorithm of some sort could probably be made out of this:

Like, a successful defense (worth 40) - the number of ally players assisting (-5 to the successful defense, up to a total of 20 since there's only 5 players on a team and there is no point deduction for defending all alone Hero-style ) + the number of enemies defeated (+6 to offset the number of players assisting, including the number of enemy players who retreat from a lost teamfight) = the total Point Defense amount.

An example: 3 Ally team members successfully defended their captured windmill, and they defended against 4 enemy team members.
The numbers would be for all of the ally team members who defended, dead or alive would be (40-10)+24 = 54 to the defenders.

Something like that could be worked around neutral points that haven't been touched in a while (helps with the game starting and fighting at top for the point). The only problem with this is it could possibly encourage a bit of "rambo-ing" however if the numbers were worked around to encourage more points for team play well it could very well be somewhat of a fix. Likewise, that one player who defends with a triple-quadra-penta by themselves successfully gets rewarded like a "Hero Mode" amount.

Make it like an capture point aura so that all those who are standing near the capture point for more than 3 seconds are placed under a "buff/debuff" icon so that only when the enemy champs have been cleared from around the point does the holding team get get rewarded for it. That way, people sitting around doing nothing on a point not being attacked aren't simply just being rewarded for sitting there.

magej

06-18-2012

My biggest complaint with the system is that it rewards selfish behavior as is

You get points and credit for capping a point if you come up at the last second and do so, even though someone else did most of the work

You get credit and more points for double/triple kills and ending streaks. At least in my elo range (1200-1400) you see a fair number of people who refuse to enter a fight they might die in, just so that they can go in and take all of the kills and cleanup rather than fight and win and have a teammate or two survive with you or even focus more on killing champs than capping, then using the "i have more points than you so **** baddie, reported" comeback line.

I would really like to see (if at all possible) proportional points for captures, more emphasis on captures over kills (maybe removing KDA from in game scoreboard?), and perhaps negative points for things that are detrimental to success? (Like removing points for getting health packs and increasing the points for point defense) I dont think it matters if you have point inflation, i would much rather see higher point totals if they are accurate

DD Tootulz

06-18-2012

I understand why you want to keep the point system, it's a measure to players on how well you have "analyzed" how good they are doing. I believe elements like that are very important when connecting the game to the users.

However, my thoughts on the matter involve removing the personal point system entirely. I strongly believe that it's pushing players in the mindset opposite of the way we want Dominion to go. It promotes selfish play and counter intuitive decisions.

Being a veteran in the mode, I've completely disregarded the point system,it does not sway my judgements in the least and I think its safe to say that all of the experienced players in the community would say the same thing.

I don't think changing it in anyway will work out the way you expect it too. having personal score always leads to people (especially new people) worrying about that rather then the teams score, which is all that matters. I believe just providing the K/D/A ratio is track enough to players, and to be honest, you can tell more (but not all) about how much someone contributed to the game by their K/D/A than their personal score.

There were tons of examples mentioned in this thread on how some actions contribute to your teams success yet diminish that of your personal score. That right there means something is toxic in the formula.If your goal is to market the positive Dominion experience to everyone, then I believe deleting the personal score system is key...because teamwork, above all else, rules this mode.

Godunderscor

06-18-2012

Haha, I really should have read what you posted about personal score and not nexus health.

Personal Score shouldn't be awarded for grabbing health relics.

Bottom lane also needs an adjustment. Often, bottom laners have to hold down a 1/5 of the map by themselves but aren't really credited.
Bottom lane minions should grant 1 personal score for each one killed. That way if you're active bottom lane, it's noted in score.

George W Nome

Game Designer

06-18-2012
3 of 6 Riot Posts

So, are there any measurable actions that are conducive to the team?

TempNam325rwe5

06-18-2012

This is slightly off-topic, but there should be more IP gained from draft pick to encourage people to actually play draft. I would like to have the chance to ban the Urgots, the Kassadins, the Rammuses and Yoricks instead of begrudgingly playing them since the only way to combat the enemies OPs are with your own.

FDru

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
So, are there any measurable actions that are conducive to the team?
Actions that a computer could measure?

I'm going to have to say no.

TempNam325rwe5

06-18-2012

Maybe you should give negative points for doing dumb things as well like diving a team 1v4 or start -500 to the two people that thought two AD carries was a good idea for your comp.