How can we improve Dominion's point system?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Manse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokel85 View Post
Remove the value for sitting on a point you control. That really shouldn't be rewarded. Sitting in the brush NEAR a point you control could be, though.
Arguable, as sitting on a point when you have allies around and you just smell like bait could be useful. Now, rewarding that all the time but not rewarding the guy in the bush is why I suggest increasing the defense radius.

Malah

06-18-2012

The point system doesn't matter to anyone who wants to win. The best thing I could imagine is that the two are closer together: you get points for things that will win the game, like shutting down snowballs or completing the steps to cap a point (Push to point, kill people on point, gradually take point).

I honestly have no clue how the system works now because it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense some of the time.

Torenia

06-18-2012

While generally points don't mean too much besides how well yourself were doing (more of a personal thing than "I did better than you!") I would just like to see bottom lane to have a means to gain more points. They tend to be in the last two spots even though their role is incredibly vital to the team.

srsizzy

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
There's really no way to improve something so inherently flawed. The point system rewards players for doing specific things, whether or not those things are actually bringing their team closer to a victory.

Capping gives way too many points. Encourages multicapping. Capping itself isn't very important, it just happens. What's especially not important is who caps. If there is a neutral turret, inevitably one team is going to cap it and often it's a player who can afford to stay behind while the rest of the team defends (and gets nothing).

Martyr. Seriously. Dying isn't a good thing, even in Dominion. Sometimes it can't be avoided, but if you martyr and the point is taken anyway you failed... yet you still get points.

Point defense. There's just no need for this. Sitting on a turret is not good play.

Kill streaks give major points. Because every Darius ever is obviously the #1 contributor to every team.

I could go on, but there's really no need. Eventually you get to an elo where everyone knows the point system is completely meaningless. The only reasonable suggestion I can give is to rename them to "objective points" or something, and don't give players medals for scoring high, because players who aim for high scores just ruin low elo games.
While I agree with most of this, Point Defense is very important. I mean, yeah, you shouldn't sit on a point alone if no one is coming for it and you're not doing anything, but a majority of defending is staying on the point when people are on the way and your advantage is to use the turret to hold them off.

But yeah, you can do so much for a team spending most of your time in the jungle and behind points. People might hate AP Shaco, but given I won so many games with him, I'm gonna say he's a great champion. If you build a team around how disruptive and mobile he is, he ends up being a great distraction and peeler, none of which is rewarded by these points.

ArlanKels

06-18-2012

Would making it so you get a point for every 10 seconds or so of active life(AFKing disables the point gain, as well as being dead) help?

Edit: This idea comes from the belief that "Being on the field, and not dead, is far more useful to your team than anything else".

DiscworldDeath

06-18-2012

Arlan, then we'll get people who run from fights, cause not dying >> team winning.

Yokel85

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manse View Post
Arguable, as sitting on a point when you have allies around and you just smell like bait could be useful. Now, rewarding that all the time but not rewarding the guy in the bush is why I suggest increasing the defense radius.
Yes, but that's only useful when you're actually baiting someone into an unfavorable attack, in which case you'll get points for killing them anyway. If you're hiding in the brush at least you're concealing information from the other team.

The purpose of the point system is to teach new Dominion players good habits, right? In general this is going to be "don't run off and die stupidly" and "don't give away more information than you need to". So, give points for running through the concealed parts of the map, hiding in the brush, and sticking with another player, and stop giving points for sitting on a capture point you already control.

Evelynn Butt

06-18-2012

I can be #1 on points if I keep losing my tower bot lane and retaking it while nothing else happens in the match. I was literally the opposite of the #1 player for my team if that happens.

Tummmymunster

06-18-2012

I don't think the point system is good at all. It places objectives in the wrong places. Currently, everyone wants to capture the points to gain points, but that's not always the best strategy. Sometimes it's more beneficial to have a teammate go to another point to defend and have you capture the neutral point nearby. But with the point system your teammate is more inclined to capture the neutral point with you for points rather than help the team defend another point for no points.

I say just get rid of the points system and just make it like summoner's rift except with the addition of points capped and defended or whatnot.

Viro Melchior

06-18-2012

1) Form a team of 10 rioters.
2) Split into teams.
3) Play 5 games of Dominion.
4) Were the teams "balanced" (player-wise)? If not, re-do teams and return to #3.
5) All players agree on 2 teams of champs that are equal.
6) Play 5 games again, with each player playing all 5 champs on his team.
7) Repeat 9 more times.
8) Average points for every player, and for every champion.
9) Adjust points so that players earn more consistent points regardless of role.
10) Repeat steps 6-9 until points are actually reflective of skill, not role.