How can we improve Dominion's point system?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2012

Many people at low Elo use it to "measure" how good they are instead of the original idea of how "collaborative" they are thus getting points for things completely inapportant like dying on a point while defending it against three people when youur team ahs already the adantage or staying to capture a tower with a teammate when they can go elsewhere and help instead of staying for the points, imho the point system should be completely removed or overhauled, preferably the former:
as for the later: let's take ina ccount that kils giv epoints if there was a formula on how much distance you traveled and time it took to kill someone mattered for the kills from when the fight start (as when you get the first hit on someone or he gets the hit on you), the most distance traveled the less points you'd get and the less time you lasted killing someone the more points you'd get, so that people would focus on map objectives and not chasing a master yi through half the jungle

hawkraider

06-18-2012

more points for neutralizing/capping with minions around. and you gain points if minions neutralize/cap a point while oyu and an enemy are both nearby.

the first would stop useless back caps while the second would help out bottom laners

Yousonerfed

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
Hey folks, I wanted to grab some feedback for Dominion's point system. What can we do to improve it?
Well, whenever I'm playing as Leona and get loads of assists, I always seem to end up in last place for some reason, even if a lot of those assists are on a CP.

It could be that point rewards for getting loads of kills, multikills and killstreaks are a bit too high, but I doubt that. IMO, find a way to increase the reward for assists a bit.

NenSense

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by junseii View Post
The point system doesn't really matter to many people. I've only seen it used as an excuse to yell at someone else for playing poorly, and most of the time the person being yelled at was bottom lane, so whoever was complaining just shows they don't understand how points are given.

If anything, the points could be replaced with just the tower icon, with a number for towers taken, and towers defended.
Yeah I agree its not used for anything except for a justification by trolls and *******s that im better than you or you suck because I have more points than you.

I'd rather vote in favour of removing it altogether since its hard to judge your contribution. e.g. you start capping one of their towers on the other side of the map and for some reason the entire enemy team comes to get you so your team caps 2 of their towers by the time they kill you. You get no real points for this but you helped your team immensely.

Manse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2012

I suppose we should start with small changes rather than full overhauls. After a few hundred dominion games (I'm pushing 1300 played), you will have several run-ins with one person, over and over:

"That guy:" The never-in-a-fight, always-batting-cleanup, recapping-because-he-was-late-to-the-party guy. Typically they blame the other team and brag about their high score or high KDA. My first goals would be to limit "that guy" in dominion. Let's look at how he gets his points and what we can do to discourage his annoying habits:

--Score versus kills: I think kills should be equal with assists, or possibly less. A strict 1v1 fight should not matter and rarely occur. While there could be some cases where it is useful, most "useful" 1v1 fights occur on a point. Coming in late to clean up the three characters at 200 hp after your team lost a fight is less beneficial than being in the fight to begin with and maintaining control of the point to continue attrition.

-- Defense: Two items that will make defense more important would be increasing the radius for defense points (being able to stay out of sight and get points) and increasing defense points with respect to time. Holding top (and/or bot) for a long time should be worth more than constantly flipping points

Yokel85

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
Hey folks, I wanted to grab some feedback for Dominion's point system. What can we do to improve it?
Remove the value for sitting on a point you control. That really shouldn't be rewarded. Sitting in the brush NEAR a point you control could be, though.

DiscworldDeath

06-18-2012

Here's a hypothetical:

Give 0 points for capturing, perhaps even for neutralizing the bottom and mid points on your side. Just points for getting the enemy points.
Still give points for stopping an enemy from neutralizing or capturing your points.

Would this result in your team-mates actually capping your points less, and just running after the enemy? I suspect not, they'd just get rewarded less for losing. Or for doing things that need to be done anyway - but then again, if we make the point system about teaching the game, then nothing is too obvious.

So maybe just reduce the reward for the aforementioned play.

Now here's another thing, which you can see from some of the suggestion, and which I can tell you from my game-play. You often get points during hectic periods. Often, I don't even notice I get a point reward, or I don't notice for what I get the points, or how many I got for them.
This means that this should be better transmitted to the players, perhaps list it in a player's chat-history, or have a slightly longer fade time.

What most people see is just how many points they ended with.
So, how does everyone notice the Martyr points? Because after you die, you have time to sit and notice you got points, what for, and how many. So people do notice they get points for dying. Even if I don't think anyone dies on purpose for that

Manse

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
1). Remove Martyr, especially for dying on an enemy's point.
2). Reward pushing minions to turrets, and killing those minions.
3). Increase score gain for point defense and getting storm shield.
4). Increase score gain for assists.
5). Increase score gain for interrupts.
6). Point capturing score gain should consider partial captures, not just who is present in the area when someone else finishes.
7). Invent a score gain for successful jungle skirmishes/bushwhacks.

Hardmode suggestion: Give an option to change current score into gold or experience, then remove others' scores from the leaderboards.
All viable points, except storm shield. Storm shield should never give points, or only give points when you have the advantage. Going after storm shield when you are bleeding points or worse, taking harassment and trying multiple times to get the storm shield leaves your allies exposed and gank-able for a minor, single person buff.

inFe eD

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
So the obvious solution is to remove it, not make it an indicator of good play >.>
The system is inherently flawed; it's going to take a massive overhaul to fix. I'd rather see all the effort that it would take to rework something that's basically an achievement system and put it towards actually rebalancing/finetuning Dominion so that we'll see ranked sometime.

srsizzy

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by junseii View Post
The point system doesn't really matter to many people. I've only seen it used as an excuse to yell at someone else for playing poorly, and most of the time the person being yelled at was bottom lane, so whoever was complaining just shows they don't understand how points are given.

If anything, the points could be replaced with just the tower icon, with a number for towers taken, and towers defended.
100% truth.

I don't mean to toot my own horn, but when I make a lot of better decisions, especially as a high-mobility and disruptive champion (such as AP Shaco), I don't get rewarded for them. It makes it so that your affect on the game is "invisible" other than you've won, and you personally know that what you've done had a large effect on making that happen.

Such as: 2 of your teammates are capping a point safely? MOVE ON! I can't believe some people group around a safe point to cap it when you're actually better off going to help somewhere else on the map.