How can we improve Dominion's point system?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ShawNuff

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2012

I mean, if you want the point system to promote good play there's a couple of things that need to change.

1.) Need to not have the game promoting having 3+ people cap a point when 1 will do
(fix: diminish the reward for having more people involved with capping)
2.) Need to reward people for heroic defense resulting in a death, but not for feeding on point.
(fix: maybe reward the points later based on whether something was accomplished rather than directly at the time of the death)
3.) Need some candy for supporty type players and bot laners who rarely score very high.

LadysKnight

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
It was supposed to provide a means to track player valuability, but it kinda flopped. The best hope for it at this point is to act as a rough guide for new players as to what they're supposed to do.
This. It is a tool. I can be used to help players, both new and veteran, recognize their effectiveness. New players especially need that enforcement. But for veterans, maybe once the points are reworked, you include a spread on the grid that tells us which points came from which accomplishments. If I see that most of my points come from matyrs but next to none from defense, I'll see there was a serious problem with the way I played that match. It can be useful for all levels of play, it just needs tuning and fine detail.

inFe eD

06-18-2012

Take it out entirely.

You don't play Dominion to rack up a high score, you play it to hold turrets and win. It's completely toxic to beginners trying to learn the game, since it rewards bad play (multicapping a turret when one person will suffice, stealing hp packs from low hp allies, suiciding enemy points repeatedly, etc). At least in SR, the "score system", creep count and K/D/A, is a decent indicator of how well you're doing in lane, while here it does nothing but teach bad habits and encourage selfish play.

If the points are there to attempt to teach new players what actions are 'good' in Dominion, just make a 5 minute tutorial (which this mode has sorely needed for ages anyway).

Phourc

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aparkhurst View Post
1. Remove the martyr bonus.
But but... it's not feeding if I get Martyr Points!

Joking aside, I think my main thoughts have been hit already:

- High level players ignore it

- bot lane only gets decent points of they lose their point and re-cap it a lot. This is poor playing and thus should not be rewarded so heavily.

- high level combat (tower channel juggling, harassing by interrupting caps at range, even supporting allies) give only token points compared to how valuable they are to your team.

- I think a few of the things people have mentioned (Farming, Interrupting Caps, a few others) already DO give points. Maybe how the points are awarded (UI-wise) should be looked into as well, if people aren't noticing rewards they're earning xP

Doctor Swole

06-18-2012

get rid of martyr. most useless bonus in the game. it basically rewards stupidity. hell ive run into a 1v5 under a tower and got martyr lmao. free 30 points

reward pushing minions to tower for points

Redeemed In Fire

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by inFe eD View Post
You don't play Dominion to rack up a high score, you play it to hold turrets and win. It's completely toxic to beginners trying to learn the game, since it rewards bad play (multicapping a turret when one person will suffice, stealing hp packs from low hp allies, suiciding enemy points repeatedly, etc). At least in SR, the "score system", creep count and K/D/A, is a decent indicator of how well you're doing in lane, while here it does nothing but teach bad habits and encourage selfish play.
So the obvious solution is to remove it, not make it an indicator of good play >.>

DiscworldDeath

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aparkhurst View Post
4. Add incentive for every cap interrupt (including the use of garrison to interrupt a cap).
AFAIK, this already happens.

FDru

06-18-2012

There's really no way to improve something so inherently flawed. The point system rewards players for doing specific things, whether or not those things are actually bringing their team closer to a victory.

Capping gives way too many points. Encourages multicapping. Capping itself isn't very important, it just happens. What's especially not important is who caps. If there is a neutral turret, inevitably one team is going to cap it and often it's a player who can afford to stay behind while the rest of the team defends (and gets nothing).

Martyr. Seriously. Dying isn't a good thing, even in Dominion. Sometimes it can't be avoided, but if you martyr and the point is taken anyway you failed... yet you still get points.

Point defense. There's just no need for this. Sitting on a turret is not good play.

Kill streaks give major points. Because every Darius ever is obviously the #1 contributor to every team.

I could go on, but there's really no need. Eventually you get to an elo where everyone knows the point system is completely meaningless. The only reasonable suggestion I can give is to rename them to "objective points" or something, and don't give players medals for scoring high, because players who aim for high scores just ruin low elo games.

FusedPositron

06-18-2012

Bot needs better reflection in the score, because it's both hugely important to how well your team does overall, and very poorly represented right now. IMO, top needs far less of a reflection in the score, because it is so contested right now. I'd put the points in this order:

- Enemy mid
- Enemy bot
- Your mid

With decreasing point values each time you cap the same point over and over again, except for bot. This, because bot is usually assigned to one person and left that way for most of the game. I'd also apply a point penalty (fewer score points gained) when a gank occurs bot. Nothing worse for your 1 bot player to die and lose bot when 4 high-mobility enemies gank bot over and over again. But if bot can manage to push a wave, kill the enemy and take over bot, that's definitely worth more than 3-4 people fighting top and dying over and over again.

Sauron

06-18-2012

1). Remove Martyr, especially for dying on an enemy's point.
2). Reward pushing minions to turrets, and killing those minions.
3). Increase score gain for point defense and getting storm shield.
4). Increase score gain for assists.
5). Increase score gain for interrupts.
6). Point capturing score gain should consider partial captures, not just who is present in the area when someone else finishes.
7). Invent a score gain for successful jungle skirmishes/bushwhacks.

Hardmode suggestion: Give an option to change current score into gold or experience, then remove others' scores from the leaderboards.