How can we improve Dominion's point system?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Malurth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2012

While I have some suggestions, I have one clear fix that needs to be implemented:

Currently, players get +40 for any amount of channel time before a cap, even if they didn't actually help at all. As in, if you start channeling the cap on a point that's within a second of being capped, your initial seconds of capping where you don't actually affect the point at all still give you +40 for helping, when really you've done absolutely nothing to help, and likely have in fact detrimented the team by valuing points over the game.

larkhill

06-18-2012

there r plenty of good suggestions here but i want to warn u on having a point system at all. bad things happen and people start to focus on whatever is worth more points rather than whats needed to win the game.

i submit this game as a perfect example. this is what happens when people focus on everything possible to get points.

honestly, i dont see why we need a point system. id love for you guys to introduce a similar point system to SR and see how much they complain. i can bet you that the sheer volume of complaints from the competitive scene and the general public would cause any point system to be scrapped within weeks.

just because dominion has less people playing it doesnt mean we need this ****.

beyond elo, i dont think we need anything. there is absolutely no way to balance a point system that is fair to bot lane AND top lane without it being abuseable and creating games like this.

Fat of the Land

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2012

The scoring system should be removed altogether because there is no possible way to accurately account for all the positive things one can do to contribute to winning the game and reward a proportionately appropriate amount of score. At the same time, by rewarding score for "x" behaviour, a player may choose to do "x" behaviour rather than other things that might be more useful to the teams success. But if that player still wins the game then the system will not account for this improper choice, yet if scoring were ever a relevant factor in overall standing then the player would actually be rewarded for this improper choice.

It's an inherently flawed system and there is no way around it. What should matter is winning or losing the game, period.

Fat of the Land

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
Would you say then, that an aggregate score is less useful than multiple metrics with no clear ranking?
Yes. I'd rather see this than the current scoring system.

MMKH

06-18-2012

There should be a way to find out what is the most rewarding or best action available in the mode, and scaling points depending on the importance. I like how capturing quests or fending off assaulters gives the most points because those are essential to the game mode. I think ganking is now a very important tactic where players can roam in the jungle to gank bot for example, and maybe rewards should be given for successful ganks. Also, maybe have points given for breaking stalemates on bottom lane, as well as successfully dueling another champion without assists.

IMO, I would like to see something similar to an achievement system (but done very carefully as to not overwhelm players), like keep track of who does what the best and display them after the game. Something like badges for things like "dealt the most damage to champions", "captured the most points", or "ganked the most times".

DeanKeaton259

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
Hey folks, I wanted to grab some feedback for Dominion's personal score system (not the Nexus health). What can we do to improve it?

This thread will be mirrored across NA, EUW, and EUNE. Links to the other two threads are as follows. Any important updates or replies I make will be quoted in this thread for convenience.
EUW: http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board....php?p=7675043
EUNE: http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board....php?p=7675043
I would honestly rather have my KDA shown along with the point based score alongside it. This is all that would be needed to satisfy me.

sicky

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerShadowX View Post
One kill should equal the point value of one assist, which should equal the point value of one neutralize/cap. On the flipside, award players in the same way based on how much damage they took from the target that just died.

Divide the points acquired from a kill/assist/capture based on what fraction of the work that player did.
Example:
-A kill is worth 50 points; player A does 70% of the damage; B does 20%; C does 10%. Player B gets the kill.
-The damage absorbed bonus is also worth 50 points. The killed champion dealt 12% of his damage while alive to player A; 8% to player B; 80% to player C

For kills, player A gets 35 points; player B gets 10 points, and C gets 5 points. It doesn't matter who killed the target.

However from damage dealt from the killed player, player A gets 6 points; B gets 4 points, and C gets 40 points.

The total points for the three players are:
A: 41 Points
B: 14 Points
C: 45 Points

I think that's a fairly accurate way to measure how much a given player contributed. It rewards tanks for tanking and DPS for actually killing, not KS'ing. This same formula can be applied to capture points.
However there will also be instances where a person will not take any damage and doesn't deal a lot of damage to a kill, in some instances. The utility they bring to the kill/capture of points should be rewarded.

urmamasllama

06-18-2012

point defenders need better representation you shouldn't get 5 points for just sitting on a point doing nothing
and stopping a minion wave from neutralizing a point doesn't really feel that rewarding point wise

when i play maokai or alistar and i get as many points for defending on THEIR mid against THEIR whole team by myself for a full minute as the scrub ezreal did for afk'ing on OUR mid for 5 min I feel wronged

ZenithZephyr

06-18-2012

Winning the game: +1000 points

No other scoring factors.

Finished.

AlphaFerric

06-18-2012

To try and hit two birds with one stone, I would suggest making support/cc like abilities give more than 1 point (and just making over-healing not give any points). Hopefully make support/heavy cc builds and champions more common and rewarding in game and bringing the final scores closer together. As for capping points, I'd say give points for capping and neutralizing, but the martyr points just seem to promote diving in a bad way (like a 1v2 on a tower).

To me its just a little sad playing bot and coming in last place despite holding my tower all game long and even pushing over the enemy tower on occasion. Its also sad to play a heavy cc tank like Leona basically enable kills to be made and still come in pretty far behind in points despite what was brought to the table. I don't play support very much/well, but I imagine its similar.

While I care more about winning a match and having fun while playing it, the points after a match are a nice thing to see for a quick check of how I did as a team mate in the game (getting carried, pulling my weight, carrying a little myself).

Just my two cents.