How can we improve Dominion's point system?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SetzerValorin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2012

Here's a shot in the dark -

Why not weight certain actions that are clearly beneficial to the team's effort to be worth more points. Capping a point should be rewarded. Capping the point that starts ticking away the enemy Nexus should be worth bonus points. The same for neutralizing a point that results in your nexus no longer taking damage.

If we're to view points as rewards for good team-play, to encourage players to make those kinds of plays more often, then those two actions are great examples. It communicates to the player that they made good decisions and even if a player was trying to artificially increase his point score, he'd be doing it in a way that his team benefits from.

Other things that could warrant bonus points:

- Begin capping a point with more than three friendly minions present..

- Killing 5+ minions that are in the process of capping a point.

- Stopping multiple enemies from capping a point simultaneously.

- Capping a point while under the benefits of a map objective buff.

- Start capping a point while it is currently targetting and damaging a teammate with enemies present.

- Capturing a point that is between two opponent controlled points (back-capping)

All of these actions are beneficial to the overall objective of the game, and rewarding them reinforces good decision making that can lead to victory.

OxBaker

06-18-2012

SIMPLE SOLUTION: As so many others have already said, less emphasis on the actual kills, more on assists, heals, buffs, debuffs, capturing and defending points.

FetisPuncher

06-18-2012

Lower the over points received, getting 2000 points is kinda silly.. doesn't really give a sense of accomplishment.

maybe omit points altogether and use something like a contribution meter (red meaning poor game play, yellow needs improvement, green doing good, and like Gold for awesomeness)

Lopretni

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2012

It clearly favors bruisers and hyper carries over any other character type. You will rarely, if ever, see a tank, who is just as (if not more) important than a hyper carry land in the top three spots, even though the game would have been a loss without that tank holding points, messing with their carries, etc. So the only way to get the kind of kill points a carry would get now is to be killing enemies as they try to take your points.

I don't think you should be awarded points simply for killing a champion. If you kill a champion on a point or near the storm shield buff, certainly, but I think the number one problem with the point system right now stems from the fact that people are showered with points for killing enemy champions, regardless if that kill was truly useful for their team or if they're feeding while getting those kills. Perhaps regular kills have a fixed amount (much less than they do now) and killing enemies in certain areas have multiplicative bonuses. So maybe, 2x for on an enemy/allied/neutral point, 1.5x for killing an enemy chasing a low health (icon is flashing red on the side bar) ally, 1.3x bonus for killing someone before they could get a health icon, etc.

Also, as it has been mentioned, you should get points for CCing enemy champions. Perhaps points scale upon the % of each stat that was affected and for how long(i.e. 10% AS reduction, 10% MS reduction, that's added with a 4 second duration and that's how many points you get) or something. Same with kills, you can't get points just for CCing enemies in the jungle, you would need to stack multiplicative bonuses in order to get the big points. Additional bonuses for doing multiple champions, and so on.

I do like the idea of having the multiplicative bonuses, it sort of makes it feel like an action game like Devil May Cry where your performance is rated on how well you're doing. It would be important to ensure you're rewarded for helping your team win, not just farming in the jungle.

Still, there's not really a way for the computer to properly measure a player's contribution to a team. The point system should just be done away with. It was a nice idea, but it doesn't work. Maybe stash it away for this Supremacy thing Morello keeps hinting about.

As it stands, all the point system is teaching new players is that they should only play carries and only go for kills, and that capping points isn't as important. If the point system can be reworked to better reflect what Dominion is about than I'm all for keeping it, but I think cutting your losses should still be an option.

Cauldrath

06-18-2012

Some simple changes:

Teach players how to push minions correctly: Caster minions now give 3 points. Melee minions give 0.

Teach players to collapse onto points when the jungle isn't safe, and only onto contested points: Point Defense is only gained for points adjacent to enemy points, and only if the number of potential enemies in the area (either hidden, or in a radius) is greater than allies.

Teach players to recall when they have low health: You get points for the fraction of your health refilled on the summoner platform. This amount and health pack amounts should be tuned so you get more points for healing at the summoner platform than you would get from taking a health pack before recalling.

A little more complicated:

Teach players to follow their allies into battle decisively: Points are gained by the first person to deal damage at the beginning of combat if the number of allies in the area is greater than or equal to enemies. Allies that quickly attack a nearby enemy gain the same number of points, with the value decreasing over time. The same applies to the enemy team.

This kind of reinforces the current meta, but:

Reward ganking and counterganking bot: Kills and assists in the lower part of the map give more points than the top part, but the bonus decreases the longer you are there, and slowly increases while top.

Reward drawing extra players bot: Gain points if you are (or recently were) in the lower part of the map when there are more visible enemies than allies there, based on the difference.

xXJenkXx

06-18-2012

Would it be viable to have something that increases how many points you are rewarded for defending a node(sitting on it) if there are enemies in the general area?

As an example, lets say I'm on bottom lane. During a match, I keep my node almost the entire time, and at some stages, threaten to push the enemy bottom and cap it, but it never happens due to ganks. If I evade(don't die) almost all of those ganks and manage to keep my node even with pressure from multiple people, I'm still rewarded with very little points. Lets say my team wins the game, even four capping at some points because of how weak their top is. My score is going to be horribly low compared to the rest of my team who were busy killing and taking top, despite the fact that because I did so well at my job, we were able to get a solid win without much fear of throwing the game.

The same could be applied to holding windmill for a particularly long period of time(I used to stronghold windmill incredibly hard with ap shaco prior to his box time nerf). All I'm saying is that holding a node and defending it, while crucial to the game, can feel very depressing when the scoreboard says I'm 5th.

Moths Unlimited

06-18-2012

-Point defense bonus should be 5 points per nearby enemy per 10 seconds, distributed among all allies on or near the point.

-The scoring system needs to be able to recognize neut/cap via creep push and reward accordingly.

-Martyr bonus needs to scale somehow with your usefulness on the point, because derp teammates getting +40 points per on-point suicide is plain silly. I might even suggest just getting rid of it and sharing +10 points with the deceased teammate for every cap/neut and +2 points for every disrupt for the next 15 seconds.

SHOE788

06-18-2012

Why are points even in the game at all?

A system that genuinely rewards good play will take way too much time and effort to implement properly and serves only as a blame tool for those who played poorly.

Good players don't need incentive to play well because winning is the incentive to play well.

Remove points entirely.

Ikarurob

06-18-2012

easy bandaid

ASSITS should come before Kills.

since youre talking psychological impacts and all.

snowstriker

06-18-2012

Maybe some titles or something similar might make people feel better about the point system.

For example, rather than have arbitrary points at the post-game screen, they have a title like "Best defender!" if they got a lot of points by defending or "Best captor" etc. etc.?

Just a quick idea. Make how you got those points show-offable at the post-game screen.