Magic penetration beyond zero

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nikamov

Junior Member

03-23-2013

Hi, been playing a lot of Katarina lately and I typically build sorc shoes > warmogs > haunting guise > void staff > abyssal sceptre.

As you can see, I've got a lot of magic pen in there. It seems to work pretty well but I'm not sure whether it is overkill. Some people have told me that it deals bonus damage if the enemy champion's magic resist is below zero.. others have said it doesn't.

So is it worth stacking magic penetration like this (50+) even if they aren't building any MR?

Thanks,
Nick.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheOneMillion

Senior Member

03-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikamov View Post
Hi, been playing a lot of Katarina lately and I typically build sorc shoes > warmogs > haunting guise > void staff > abyssal sceptre.

As you can see, I've got a lot of magic pen in there. It seems to work pretty well but I'm not sure whether it is overkill. Some people have told me that it deals bonus damage if the enemy champion's magic resist is below zero.. others have said it doesn't.

So is it worth stacking magic penetration like this (50+) even if they aren't building any MR?

Thanks,
Nick.
If the enemy has NEGATIVE MR, you will deal more than 100% magic damage, HOWEVER, penetration cannot go past 0. Reduction on the other hand, can reduce a champions resist below 0. Reduction is on some champion abilites, Abyssal scepter, Malady, ect. and affects everyone that attacks the enemy (when you target them, you can see their magic resist go down). Reduction applies before personal penetration. So no, dont expect to deal more than 100% magic damage unless you have a fiddlesticks (-10 MR aura), soraka (starcall), or some other strong reduction champion and abyssal scepter, and even then, it means you are wasting the penetration you bought because they already have negative MR.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nikamov

Junior Member

03-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneMillion View Post
If the enemy has NEGATIVE MR, you will deal more than 100% magic damage, HOWEVER, penetration cannot go past 0. Reduction on the other hand, can reduce a champions resist below 0. Reduction is on some champion abilites, Abyssal scepter, Malady, ect. and affects everyone that attacks the enemy (when you target them, you can see their magic resist go down). Reduction applies before personal penetration. So no, dont expect to deal more than 100% magic damage unless you have a fiddlesticks (-10 MR aura), soraka (starcall), or some other strong reduction champion and abyssal scepter, and even then, it means you are wasting the penetration you bought because they already have negative MR.
Okay thanks for clearing that up. In that case, am I better off stacking AP after I feel I have sufficient mpen?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheOneMillion

Senior Member

03-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikamov View Post
Okay thanks for clearing that up. In that case, am I better off stacking AP after I feel I have sufficient mpen?
Theres only so much Mpen you can get through items. Normal red mpen runes and mastery (7.8 flat + 8%) + Sorc shoes + Haunting guise (30) + void staff (35%) gives a total of 38 flat pen and 40% pen. That amount of penetration will reduce 63 magic resist and below to Zero.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

doggwe

Senior Member

03-27-2013

Only get the void staff if you really need it
(2-3 people on the other team have 150+ mr or ect)
Because most of the time, everyone health stacks
In which case you need more ap