Which Tank to Get?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Unreal1

03-18-2014

I'm new to LoL, so starting out I really want to hone in on one-two champions that I can play constantly and become strong with. Being that popular roles are usually insta-locked I figure I have the best chance of being able to tank in most matches. So I'm wondering who you guys would suggest? I'm leaning towards saving IP and grabbing Shen. With Shen I think he's a viable tank and can also play top as well, or has that changed in S4? With someone that can fill multiple roles I can at least stick with them every match even when I can't tank.

Ideally, I also want someone who would still be viable when I'm no longer against other new players.

Finally, from a meta perspective, how much should a tank roam during laning phase? I started moba's with Smite and in that game tanks are constantly roaming and assisting other lanes. Does that carry over to LoL?

ActualPain

03-18-2014

Taric seems like he would be a good pick for you. Common tanky pick in the support role, definitely less common as a top but I've seen it done successfully. At the very least it will catch your opponent off-guard if you go top.

Also if you want a roam-y tanky support, go with Leona. She is much more difficult to pull off in a solo lane, but she is definitely viable as a top or mid as well. As for the roam aspect, she can basically get lvl 3, immediately roam to mid and secure a kill or at the very least a flash. All you have to do is hit her E.

DreadPirateChris

03-19-2014

Shen top is a pretty solid pick, and if you like roaming his ult lets him teleport so he frequently makes cross-map plays. Top-lane tanks in League don't roam that much, but once it gets to midgame they are crucial to teamfights so they have to roam then. There are tanky junglers and junglers are entirely roaming, and of course the aforementioned supports.
The tanky supports are pretty awkward picks for solo lanes, but a number of tanky champs can do both jungle and top lane.

Shyvana is the only one that comes to mind, probably because I have her on my NA account, but I know there -are- several others. Unfortunately, I don't think Shen is a viable jungle pick, he's pretty much slotted into top lane.

Anyway, you could cover three roles with two tanky champs if you took something like Shyvana and Taric. (If you take Leona as your main tanky support, you'll have to have another support because Leona draws bans sometimes in draft normals and ranked. Same with Thresh and Blitzcrank who can also build as tank supports, although they can also build as AP supports.)

I Have 1 Gear GO

03-19-2014

Champions don't stop being viable when you start going against better players, you may have to play smarter or have better mechanics, but every champion is somewhat viable. So if you enjoy your current champions stick with them. I would not suggest Shen for a newer player, though. Your teammates will not know what to do when you cast your ultimate on them and he's in general very hit or miss right now. His CC also leaves a lot to be desired when compared with other champions. Not to say he doesn't work, but he's definitely on the below average side atm and many champions have more utility and rely less on coordination then Shen.

To answer your original question some of the strongest champions atm who can build straight tank and still have a strong presence (either still do damage or just have great CC) include: Nasus, Trundle, Shyvana, Leona, Volibear, Renekton, Malphite, Singed, J4, Taric, Yorick, and Rammus.

Yorick might be a great option for you, he can top lane or jungle and becomes one of the most unkillable things in the game at full build and does great damage with just CDR and a manamune. He's great for beginners to pick up and play while still having some room to improve. He also lane bullies extremely hard, so you can pick teleport and still stomp your lane. Very good farmer to boot. He's underplayed as well, so many people don't know how to play against him.

vortical42

03-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raca View Post
Champions don't stop being viable when you start going against better players, you may have to play smarter or have better mechanics, but every champion is somewhat viable. So if you enjoy your current champions stick with them. I would not suggest Shen for a newer player, though. Your teammates will not know what to do when you cast your ultimate on them and he's in general very hit or miss right now. His CC also leaves a lot to be desired when compared with other champions. Not to say he doesn't work, but he's definitely on the below average side atm and many champions have more utility and rely less on coordination then Shen.

To answer your original question some of the strongest champions atm who can build straight tank and still have a strong presence (either still do damage or just have great CC) include: Nasus, Trundle, Shyvana, Leona, Volibear, Renekton, Malphite, Singed, J4, Taric, Yorick, and Rammus.

Yorick might be a great option for you, he can top lane or jungle and becomes one of the most unkillable things in the game at full build and does great damage with just CDR and a manamune. He's great for beginners to pick up and play while still having some room to improve. He also lane bullies extremely hard, so you can pick teleport and still stomp your lane. Very good farmer to boot. He's underplayed as well, so many people don't know how to play against him.
Probably the best answer here but I would add an asterix next to some of those picks if you are going for maximum flexibility. As others have said, Taric and Leona will struggle in a solo lane. I wouldn't use either of those two without a lane-mate unless you have a high damage jungler like Yi who can take advantage of your abilities in a gank.

Something else to consider that I haven't seen mentioned here. If you really want to get the most out of a limited champion pool, you need to think about your build (items, runes and masteries). You want to look for champions who can easily transition from pure tank to off-tank/bruiser or even a carry depending on how the game is going. If you take Shen for example, he really only has one build path: Tank. None of his abilities really scale well with damage, so there really isn't a reason to invest in anything but defense. Someone like Renekton on the other hand can easily alter his build to be a beefy meatwall or a high-damage face shredder or anywhere in between (FYI, that is part of the reason he is so popular in the pro scene right now).

Here are some options to look at who give you the most flexibility for your IP: Elise, Cho Gath, VI, Nunu, Gragas, Renekton.

Unreal1

03-20-2014

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up getting Rammus and Zyra, so I'm going to make those two my mains going forward. Both seem to be able to fill multiple roles while still making for strong supports. Especially Rammus, I just scored top damage on my team with him while going full tank. Great damage on the ult and overall very tanky. I tried Taric, but ended up refunding him. He's a strong support, but I can't really get excited about his kit and character in general is kinda bland to me.

Eventually I think I'll get Renekton. Is he fairly common support though?

Thanks.

StormTG

03-20-2014

Renekton support doesn't really work. Nobody plays him support because he needs to hit things to get rage, and is pure melee. Theoretically he could work if an ADC is willing to let you hit minions but I seriously doubt that'll ever work. He's an excellent tank and horrifically overpowered in a solo lane, even without building damage. If he DOES build damage the other team has hell to pay.

vortical42

4 Weeks Ago

If you are going with those two, I would recommend having at least one back-up pick for each. Zyra and Rammus have no real overlap in what they can do. Rammus is a mean jungle and a decent support, but he runs into trouble in a solo lane. Zyra is a solid support and mid but she can't jungle and top lane is iffy. If you are playing a specific role and either Rammus or Zyra is not available, you need another option.

You also need to have at least one or two Marksmen in your pool, even if it isn't a role you play often. You will eventually run into a game where you are last pick and ADC is all that is left. You really don't want to be that guy that dodges or picks some random troll champ. You don't have to be doublelift, just be proficient enough to hold your lane and give the rest of your team a chance.

X4N4T05

4 Weeks Ago

Renekton was one of my first champions besides Vlad and Blitzcrank that i actually played a lot and got good with. He's pretty simple to use, and can be very rewarding. I would recommend him to most newer players.

aaronzone

4 Weeks Ago

I have Shen and his top is OK at best. Farming is hard but you do have pretty good sustainability. I would recommend Renekton because you can build him as a full tank or an off-tank. His early game is very solid with excellent harass.