One year later: Matchmaking suggestions V2.0 -With pictures!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

walru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-16-2012

I refuse to bump this. >.>

CTHDRL

07-16-2012

This is pretty ****ing amazing actually. If Riot does something like this I think it will singlehandedly quell almost all issues with "ranked" as it stands right now.

arcticnerd

07-16-2012

Interesing. I would like to see this implimented for draft style games as long as a kick system existed that allowed for 3 players to remove a player who is causing problems. I don't want to slow down the match making system to much by having a play feel they can queue up for a match and wander off because of the lobby system.

liamcharger

07-16-2012

bump

CTHDRL

07-16-2012

I'll bump this every day. IDGAF

Private Riem

07-16-2012

Daily bump

AIM7Sparrow

07-16-2012

bump

Dieinpeace1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-16-2012

This is great and all and you might have explained this the text. But just based of the pictures this process would take way too long. Most people play LOL casually. Which means they are not going to want to wait through a 5-10 minute load up time for one game that could possibly last only 15 minutes. This process would simply just take way to long. As would adding anything onto the current draft mode process.

Private Riem

07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kripper View Post
This is great and all and you might have explained this the text. But just based of the pictures this process would take way too long. Most people play LOL casually. Which means they are not going to want to wait through a 5-10 minute load up time for one game that could possibly last only 15 minutes. This process would simply just take way to long. As would adding anything onto the current draft mode process.
Blind picks are left alone, which is my original post.
Most people that play LoL casually play blind pick.
You need 16 champions to play draft.
Sounds like serious to me.

Beside, take 2 more minutes before a game start instead of 5/+ from queue dodges.
Doesn't sound too bad either.
I'd rather have the time to coop than end on a moron that is incredibly rude and makes the game less fun for everybody else.

Why do I feel like I'm repeating myself?
Oh yeah, those issues are actually adressed in the original post.

FOH galo

07-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Riem View Post
Not only did you not read my thread (As those issues have been adressed in my post), you quoted the entire post WHICH I SAID NOT TO DO AT THE END.
First of all: I think my first post came across as far more negative rereading it.

Actually I DID read your post 98% of the way through (apparently i missed the quote whole thread thing somehow) I actually feel that your suggestion isn't that bad except for the following :
High ranked people seem to have a pretty good idea of the skill level at different roles of the people around their level, It's only nubs like me that actually would need this.

The other problems are largely that it allows people to bully their way in through chat options in the lobby. The vote kick isn't really much of a threat for trolling in ranked solo/2 as you can only get 1 or 2 votes locked in, but for normal this is a serious trolling liability.

Your solutions are good ideas, but obviously not suggestions from people who've played with votekick systems like wow, which gets abused ridiculously often. The problem is that any time you let players vote kick or otherwise moderate without serious oversight it can get out of hand quickly. I've yet to play with any game that had a votekick capability that wasn't abusesd more often than used for it's intended purpose.

More specifics on the issues I have with this system since I've been very vague to this point:

1) There's already a ready button, it's the queue button that pops up when the game is ready to start. If people will hit that and AFK what's to stop them from hitting the ready button in the lobby and afking and wandering off into the distance? Nothing.

2) 3 vote kicks is just as abusable as 1 or 100 votekicks. Especially in normal draft this would be badly, badly abusable. In ranked it could work, but not for normals especially draft.

3) People leaving the lobby with no penalty means that you have to go through the whole process again, this encourages players to try to get whole teams to gang up on the player they're upset with. Once again this tendency already exists and can be seen when angry people try to get validation and support within the game against the player they're upset with. If you get the other guy to leave the lobby first, or get the team to vote them out, you win and don't have to go through the now somewhat irritatingly long process again.

4) The champion suggestion screen seems like a good idea, but honestly I'd rather see it applied to bans, and not champions that can be played. This is more to prevent trolls from behaving in the lobby and then going full troll and banning picked champs. It would be nice to have a set of icons for the various roles in the game (lane support, ad carry, jungle, ap carry, etc) this would allow you to work toward at least covering basic roles. If you can only play so few champions that there'd even be room for it to be displayed without having the screen covered by a massive mouseover overlay, you probably aren't ready for even normal drafts. Get a couple support bannings and your 2 are gone, that's a really bad position to be putting a team.

5) Rather than your method of displaying champions as above, it would be nice if you could setup a role champions overlay, and people could mouse over your icon (support for example) and you could set champions up on the summoner profile screen to be associated with it(only ones you own). This allows you to show some of the weird combos people come up with that actually work, without them needing to hardcode it every time. It would also allow more than like 16 champions, since there are 100 now, soon to be 101.

This way people can mouse-over your support icon and see the champions you feel are support worthy and have unlocked. You would not be able to lock free champions in for these spots as you do not have them unlocked. This is somewhat abuse-able in the light of the vote-kick as this encourages players with little imagination or super douchiness (as opposed to a healthy desire to win) to try to get anyone with weird champions in abnormal roles vote-kicked. Without the vote-kick though, I feel that that a feature like this would be actually very helpful.

edit: The reason for part 5 is that there really isn't enough to even have a basic ability to fill roles with 16. you'd have 10 champions left after banning at that point. If you're picking relatively popular champions from a variety of roles, the odds of having a considerable number (like 50% )picked or banned to the point where you can't actually even play any of them in the role you decided upon as a group is pretty high and guess what: you're the ****** wrecking the team. No one should be put in that position by the setup.

In addition, if you pick a champion that can function in multiple roles like TF or teemo it's very misleading to not be able to let your team know which of those particular ways you intend to play that champion. Showing nunu with the intent to play bottom support nunu and having everyone cool with you playing him jungle could lead to some really awkward moments in game.

Lastly:

Basic feeling about this, as this is pretty victory attempt to win / not causal and fun oriented, some of these features (particularly after the suggestions, or other fixes for the issues above) would make excellent additions to ranked. These largely kill the casual feel and intentions of normal queue. It's not that normal queue is intended for those who don't want to win, but forcing the people who don't want to or don't understand how to make up a team properly into all of this will make the between games process slow and not at all fun. It's just adding another barrier to them playing the game and just learning the basics.

These are largely the issues I had with normal draft to begin with. It's treated more seriously than ranked season 1 was at low elo, and largely makes it difficult to play to have fun. The problem is that it's the only option if you don't want every game to have shaco soraka shen darius and karthus as the opposing team. It's not that its impossible to counter that team, but sometimes you want to play other champs besides an obvious counter to one of those.

edit: and it has been specifically stated that normal draft is to play with some banning and picking structure, but normal draft is not intended as serious ranking and competitive play. If you want srs competitive play ranked is there for that. Claiming that you don't like/want/support/agree with it does not change that fact.