Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

FPS problem

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pelter

08-26-2010

Quote:
ezio1:
I am in Canada. and I got the program CPU-Z which should give me info about my pc.

Intel Pentium D 820, Socket 775 LGA, CPU 2.8Ghz,

Oh hi there fellow Canadian.

Anyways that video card list will still work for Canada... however the prices may be a little less accurate. In CPU-Z I believe there is a video section where it will show you if it's PCI-E or AGP because we need to know before you upgrade your video card.

ezio1

08-26-2010

Hello there

Alright. I'm in the Graphics section in CPU-Z and i see nothing about "PCI-E or AGP" but i looked on the box of the card, and it says PCI-EXPRESS Graphic Card. So, it's PCI-E

Pelter

08-26-2010

Okay thats good. So how much are you willing to spend AND do you have a company preference like would you rather have an Nvidia? or an ATI? or do you not care?

Also how many watts is your PSU because some cards eat up watts like nothing (my GTX 295 takes 289 watts O.o).

ezio1

08-27-2010

I'm willing to spend $100. Max $150.
I've heard that Nvidia is 'better' overall.

And, I have no idea what PSU is and how to check it.

ezio1

08-27-2010

bump

Pelter

08-27-2010

Well if you are planning to spend less than 200$ I doubt that the power supply may need an upgrade plus the new GPU will warn you if it isn't recieving sufficient wattage, then you can go out and buy a 500w - 600w for 40$ish.

Anyways if you want Nvidia look no further than the GTS 250... amazing card for the price and you can get it for about 95$ - 130$ right now from most canadian retailers.

If you REALLY care about Direct X 11 for the future... then turn to ATi because Nvidia doesnt have a mid end Direct X 11 card. (However you won't be able to turn on most DX 11 settings without mega lag on a mid card anyways so that's useless imo)

I also took the decency of comparing the cards technincal specs http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=606&card2=513
and it turns out that the GTS 250 will be about 2.5x - 3x (more likely 3x) better than your current card.

EDIT: Also try to find a Canada Computers... they are the best Canadian Computer retailer IMO and Tiger Direct is nice if you dont mind buying online.

TacoBellAssassin

08-27-2010

bro i get 20 fps and have to turn everything to "very low" settings

usually i get 10 fps and thats fine, im not even joking here....

ezio1

08-28-2010

I think I'll just buy a GTS 250 and see how that goes

StickerKiller

08-28-2010

sorry for bad grammar and spelling.

Pentium D 2.8 Ghz is abit too old. When you run something in the background, it gonna make your game lag because it got no multi-thread technology. You might want to upgrade to AMD or Intel. AMD quadcore 2.6 Ghz cost like 100 $ US (AMD just redude the price lately).

Another thing Nvidia GTs 250 is not that good. Maybe ATI 5770, more powerfull and it is cheap( 160 $ canadian) or Nvidia GTX 460 . GT250 won't last long for your future game. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150462. This card is double performance of GTS250 .

I do have PentiumD 2.98 Ghz processor and it lags me out most game release today, even i put a ATI 5850 on it. My current PC is Intel quadcore 3.5 Ghz( OC) and ATI 5850. It runs well.

My suggestion is you should turn off your anti virus, or any other program except League of legend when you play. It reduces lag . Btw 3 GB ram doesn't match with Pentium D 2.8 Ghz because when your memory usage is at 1.5 GB or 2 GB, your CPU usage will be 80%+ or maybe 100.

ezio1

08-28-2010

It's Intel Pentium D 820.
The thing is, I won't be gaming much in the future on the computer except LoL and a few other games. I'll buy a console.

I close absolutely everything when I play LoL I'm sorta pleased with 60fps at the beginning and 25-35in late game. Not sure yet if I should waste money on computer parts, but thank you for your recommendations; very helpful