Ranked dodge penalty change

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 38
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yegg

Game Designer

Follow Yegg on Twitter

06-17-2012
1 of 11 Riot Posts

Hey all,

I want to give some context around the recent change to the ranked queue dodge penalty.

First off, I agree with you that it sucks when ranked games get dodged. Draft mode takes awhile, and it's miserable to have to do it multiple times before getting to play. That said, there were some major problems with the previous Elo penalty.

1. Players who wanted to ensure easy matches for themselves could dodge many successive queues, tank their rating down to extremely low levels, and then play matches and easily stomp the opposition. This wasted the time of many other players through the repeated queue dodging and also created matches that were heavily unbalanced.

2. Even in the general case, the punishment didn't fit the crime. Dodging a queue doesn't mean you're a lesser skilled player, yet that's exactly what an Elo rating decrease means to the matchmaking system.

Also, although we strongly discourage dodging, there are cases where it's a player's only defense against a toxic situation. Maybe someone is already swearing in chat during champ select, or the team's already had a disagreement and three people picked the same role. In those cases, often an innocent bystander had to bite the bullet and take the Elo loss, or no one was willing to do it and the game started with a team that's already furious with one another.

In other words, dodging once in awhile as a defense mechanism is probably fine. Dodging frequently for frivolous reasons like your favorite champion getting banned, or the other team counterpicking, or because the ice cream truck just drove by your house is not fine. This change is somewhat of an experiment and we're going to be monitoring the results closely. If dodging starts to become too common, we're very willing to react and make the penalty much harsher for those in the latter camp who are frequently dodging.

Feel free to leave feedback in this thread and we'll take it into account when considering future changes.

Iaw

06-17-2012

Point number 2 is EXACTLY what I and many others have been arguing for years on GD. Just because I have a troll at champ select threatining to feed doesn't mean i should lose elo for it.

You didn't out play me and take my elo, you just happened to roll the dice and get lucky.

We have needed this change for years.

Nibla

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-17-2012

thanks

MrBoomstickESQ

06-17-2012

Thank ya suh.

The Canadian Kid

06-17-2012

it needs like a 24 hour wait time or something extreme.

Fistful of Force

06-17-2012

How did you pick 30 mins?

N O R I S K S

06-17-2012

I support this. +1

GoldenPlana

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-17-2012

please riot just change it back. I cant get into a game

AlexDnD

06-17-2012

Have you thought about an IP penalty for rank dodging? IE if you dodge your next game will result in half IP. This wouldn't be a huge deal but would act as a deterrent.

ZaidologY

06-17-2012

people dodging all day 30 min wait for dodging aint enough.

1234511 ... 38