How to counter nidalee mid?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DittoBlaze

06-16-2012

Nidalee mid is a terror. Simply poke with her q at massive range, place traps across the lane, heal herself for infinite sustain. Then she gets cougar form with high dps and a spammable escape. Seriously how do you counter her?

Obviously get boots to dodge her spear but you can dodge 5 spears in a row and then get hit by one that takes you to half hp. Her spear will outrange any other mage (except maybe xerath, but then he just becomes an easy target for a spear).

The only viable counter for her I can think of is Kennen. Dodge spear, run in with ult and burst her down

ExecutionerKen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-16-2012

spear? stay behind minions

She harass you with autoattack? You can use someone with heavy burst...she can't heal faster than Leblanc's burst
(Kennen has higher AD, Ryze has better dps, Annie has molten shield and stun)

Traps? Walk on the minion path...either the minions take them out or you won't step on any

Cougar form? It is melee form! Use your skill shot and spells to burst her down.

There are too many things that you can do against an AP nid mid.

creamyworms

06-16-2012

I play Nidalee almost every time I play League of Legends.

Her spear does damage based on where SHE is in relation to her spear; if you stick right on top of her, even if she nails you point blank, it will do pretty mediocre damage compared to what another AP caster can do.

Her heals are not very effective without AP to back it up; if she starts with boots, get her to burn her pots and then once the mana is gone, she either can't harass with spears, or defend with heals. Go nuts; especially if you are a resource-less champ like Kennen.

Once she hits 6, prepare for a world of pain. Know that her Q does damage based on how much hp you are missing; so her combo is going to do random damage every time she jumps at you.

Also if you know how intelligent the enemy Nidalee is, you can tell when she is running to a 'jump' spot; ie the smaller walls she can jump through - dragon, baron, at blue buff, one on either side of mid, etc etc.

Now i'm not saying you can stop her every time, but it will give you a heads up on where she is going.
Also try to understand her throwing pattern; and change up your jukes.

I spend the beginning part of a game feeling out my opponents for spears. Some people move, some people don't; and some people hide behind minions - but you can learn their techniques within a few minutes.

Now of course this is more Nidalee advice than counter-advice; but you can easily line up spears from bushes, wait until someone begins auto attacking a minion and line a spear up SLIGHTLY behind them but still able to hit them should they not move at all. Alternatively if they are actively standing there waiting to juke a spear, throw it randomly; now make sure it's TOWARDS them, but aim it to the left or right - you don't need to hit a lot of spears to get someone low health, just a few good ones.

Your best bet going against her in middle is to really abuse her pre-6; force her to use her mana, without it, unless she is going AD or some weird hybrid, you should be able to keep up with her auto attack damage.

Alternatively, if you do eat a few spears, and have a jungler available, go for a really obvious recall as close to your turret as you think you can get her and bait that *****, just make sure you dodge the fatal spear.

General Shanks

06-17-2012

just counter her with nukers like Viegar or Ziggs, Nid is not a very liable mid char to be honest. She's an excellent solo top though...

creamyworms

06-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohohahahhoho View Post
just counter her with nukers like Viegar or Ziggs, Nid is not a very liable mid char to be honest. She's an excellent solo top though...

She is very viable in middle; so many champions can fill that role that don't get the credit for being able to do so.

Especially in middle, you KNOW your opponent will be particularly soft. Land two good spears and you have the complete advantage WITH the added benefit of scaring the **** out of the enemy champion with your insane damage.

Now maybe they will start dodging spears, and you ability to poke and force your opponent to run back to their turret (thus granting you an easy spear) is gone later in the game.

Now Nidalee gets even better after 6 as a middle lane, especially since she can move so fast through pouncing.

Scenario; you nailed your enemy champion at middle with a good spear and he/she is playing defensively. You notice the enemy support in bottom lane is low health. Slip away from middle as inconspicuously as possible (try throwing a spear from the middle bushes then IMMEDIATELY start heading towards bottom, avoid the river and set up a spear from behind, it's so much harder to avoid when you are spearing from behind with pressure from your bottom lane in front.

Or maybe by that time, the champion in question ran back to their turret to recall, chances are your opponent at middle hasn't called you mia yet. Line up an easy spear and enjoy the 300g.

Another little tip; you can get about .5 seconds of vision in an area when you drop a trap, and you can drop them OVER terrian, like for example, to get vision on our hypothetical enemy in the scenario I just laid out.

edit: One more thing, Nidalee has 7 abilities; a spear, a trap (that also lowers armor/mr by a PERCENTAGE), a heal (that also increases AS), the ability to turn into a cougar - that also gives you a powered-up HP percentage based Q, a melee aoe through her E and another aoe with the added benefit of being able to jump OVER WALLS. That ability alone has made me love Nidalee more than any other champion in this game.
Plus a passive movement speed buff that will save you time and time again as you pounce away from the enemy team, throwing spears and laying traps as you bait them into your waiting teammates.

Plus, almost all of her abilities have a very short cooldown besides her trap (and only her trap, the pounce associated with it in cougar form cooldowns exceptionally fast); pounce also charges up your Tear item every time you pounce! And all the cougar form abilities cost exactly 0 mana.

Did I mention she also gets improved armor, magic resist and movement speed while in cougar form?

What other champion can do all that?

I was thinking about it, the only one that comes to mind is Lee Sin and his are more combo-related; Q-->Q E-->E W-->W.

midillusion

06-17-2012

Before level 6, Nidalee has a horrible time last hitting under a turret, and no burst damage or CC to help with a gank, so just take someone who can push hard and that should stop her early on. The only problem is once she reaches level 6, but anyone with Burst and CC can beat her. I used to play hybrid Nidalee a long time ago before they nerfed her heal (if you thought she has good sustain now, you didn't see her before - it was crazy) and the only champion that always beat me was Annie, and Brand sometimes if he could land his stun.

Mind you, this was before the likes of Talon, Ahri, Xerath and Ziggs were released, so there are plenty of champions now who could beat her.

Hieronymus Bosch

06-17-2012

Malzahar comes to mind (only because I love him to death). You can farm from a safe distance with your e and poke her occasionally, and he has extremely powerful burst damage that can't be negated if you can properly land a silence.

Otherwise just have boots and move around a lot,stay behind minions.

CerealBoxOfDoom

06-17-2012

Ahri

sugarcrotch

06-17-2012

TIL not everyone knows how to beat nid mid... imo i hate taking nid mid i love playing her but **** going mid with her sucks ass

PatriotBob

06-20-2012

Kinda confused as to why this is difficult. Nidalee's weakest lane is mid, there's no brush to really abuse. Her damage comes from Spear and AA which is blocked by minions and her AA isn't that great early.

Just harass her hard early, you'll zone her either out of mana, health or just kill her.

DO NOT TRY AFK FARM UNTIL AFTER 6.

You'll just end up catching a face full of cat.