Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Is this REALLY what I can expect from playing this game?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TBJack

06-16-2012

Best thing you can do is find people who seem nice, friend them, and then invite them when you queue up. You could also check out the LoL University chatroom. It's a friendly environment and most people there will be happy to play or even give you some advice if you want it.

Kirielis

06-16-2012

^That. The community really sucks, I'm afraid, but the nice ones tend to cluster in certain little groups, of which LoL U is one of the largest and most public. Another thing you can try is "/all gl hf", which will at least start the game off on the right foot.

Jabaar

06-16-2012

oh i feel you, my transition to pvp was hard, i was even bashed when i didnt do good against AI so yea this happens.

what REALLY helped me get over that is one thing and one thing only. NOT DYING. Seriously your team will not complain if you're not feeding, even if you're not adding much to the play, when u dont feed u dont get bashed, but how can you do that ? well, thats easy

1- Get tanky: a mistake every new player does is being one denominational in their build, and %90 of new players just want to get kills and they stack damage items with little to no sustain. i know coz i used to do that.

2- Dont take risks: Another ANNOYING mistake new players do is dying for the kill, they see a low enemy between two other champs and they think hey maybe i can get the kill and get away, well guess what happens, u dont get the kill and u die. Dont do that, a kill is NOT worth it if you die for it.

3- Capitalize on their mistakes: New players make mistakes all the time, and instead of going head first for the kill, just play safe until THEY take the risk.

4- Learn to escape: either learn how to capitalize on ur champs escape (get a champ with good escape to start with) learn how to use the bushes, know the jungle, ping team mates to help u, learn to flash in the right spots.....

5- DONT DIVE: just dont

6- Stay healthy: Either by going back when ur low (forget about the tower, they will kill you and get the tower) or investing in some life steal to stay in the lane longer

FriedChickenMan

06-16-2012

A lot of people in the game really are extremely rude. I've played a game where I was going like 9/2/6, then some guy who was like 3/7/4 started going off on me for making a little mistake. Some people are just ridiculous. Ignore them when possible.

Fortunately, there are nice people out there. The best thing you can do is make some friends and play with them. Friends should be more forgiving than random people.

Honestly, though, at level 20+ you shouldn't be playing AI matches, except to test new characters. You don't really get anything out of AI games other than a false sense of confidence. AI do not play like real people (often much more aggressive/stupid).

You do need to play real games if you want to get better. Ignore the rude people, and report them if they're way out of line.

HonorableGeneral

06-16-2012

Quote:
Jabaar:
oh i feel you, my transition to pvp was hard, i was even bashed when i didnt do good against AI so yea this happens.

what REALLY helped me get over that is one thing and one thing only. NOT DYING. Seriously your team will not complain if you're not feeding, even if you're not adding much to the play, when u dont feed u dont get bashed, but how can you do that ? well, thats easy

1- Get tanky: a mistake every new player does is being one denominational in their build, and %90 of new players just want to get kills and they stack damage items with little to no sustain. i know coz i used to do that.

2- Dont take risks: Another ANNOYING mistake new players do is dying for the kill, they see a low enemy between two other champs and they think hey maybe i can get the kill and get away, well guess what happens, u dont get the kill and u die. Dont do that, a kill is NOT worth it if you die for it.

3- Capitalize on their mistakes: New players make mistakes all the time, and instead of going head first for the kill, just play safe until THEY take the risk.

4- Learn to escape: either learn how to capitalize on ur champs escape (get a champ with good escape to start with) learn how to use the bushes, know the jungle, ping team mates to help u, learn to flash in the right spots.....

5- DONT DIVE: just dont

6- Stay healthy: Either by going back when ur low (forget about the tower, they will kill you and get the tower) or investing in some life steal to stay in the lane longer

My responses to the following:

1. This is rather situational. Usually if you're going for an AD carry (damage-dealer), you'll want to build squishy with mostly damage items to allow yourself to melt the enemy team. Your team should protect you, but if they don't hybrid items like Frozen Mallet which offer both tankiness and damage work in a pinch (it's best to just let your team do their jobs). With mages like Ziggs, you can get away with building tanky by investing in items like Crystal Scepter and Rod of Ages (since you're not as damage-dependent late-game as the AD carry). If you're bruiser, tanky DPS, or tank, then feel free to build tank and health items to supplement your current build, as that is your job.

2. This is also situational. Kills are 90% of the time never worth it if you're going to die to get the kill, but sometimes they are. Say you are a bruiser like Jax, and the AD carry Ashe is destroying your team. You get her low, and she retreats to tower. Killing her and dying is a good tradeoff as it drastically reduces enemy damage output (assuming they have no other AD carry, which in this meta they shouldn't) and allowing your team to function that much better. Basically, if you are a lower-priority class (support, tanky dps, etc.) and you see a high-priority damage-dealer who is low (AD or AP carry), you should dive if you KNOW you can get the kill to help your team blow out the enemy team's main damage dealers. Keep in mind that even in these 10% of cases where you die for the kill, you should be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN, let me repeat, ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that you will get the kill (otherwise you will die for nothing and feed the enemy carry more gold).

3. Good advice all around. Tanks and initiating players (players with heavy CC and tankiness) should keep in mind that they will be expected to initiate most of the town, so "playing it safe" is usually not good for these classes as they will be asked to jump into the fray first to allow the rest of the team some safety when a teamfight begins.

4. Good advice, nothing more to add.

5. Again, situational. See number two for more details, but the gist is: if you are 100% sure you can grab the kill (enemy has no escapes or heals and you have decent health to tank the turret) and you're sure you won't die (no enemies around for you to get baited into), then dive to pick up the kill. Usually a bad idea until you invest in some HP items (for tanks and bruisers) or you level up and get more health passively (for carries).

6. Part of this is correct. Staying healthy is important, but sometimes staying at turret when low on health has its advantages. This game is all about mind tricks, and the biggest one you can pull on people is luring them into tower-diving by appearing as though you meet all the criteria in number 5 (no escapes, heals, or allies nearby). Before attempting to bait make sure you have teammates with a global skill to assist you in damage-dealing or make sure you have a reliable stun you can pop before the enemy can burst you. Then, lure them in by running out and into tower-range, baiting them closer until they go in for the kill. Once they are within tower range, stun them and have any allies with global damage drop their hammers on them, and you'll find yourself a few gold coins richer and the enemy none-the-wiser. Don't try this until you can accurately gauge most of the champions in the game, as you may be in for a nasty surprise if a champion you're not familiar with pops a stun on you instead and picks up the kill.

Jontaycha

06-16-2012

Sometimes this community wants to make me kill myself, but as other people have said.
It gets a bit better. In draft mode, there are still feeders of course, but generally less. Levels 1-20 are really bad sometimes tbh because most of them are smurfs.

Sometimes the general smurf mentality is "Pub stomb all the noobs so I can get a Mejais or occult sword and stack it by 20" If they don't accomplish this goal, they leave and get on another account.

So in reality, your caught between some level 30s in a game, with more feeding/leaving/raging.

Also, try to make each game count. Avoid AI games as much as possible. If you really want to try out a champ, make a custom game with 4 bots on your team, and 5 on the other. You can practice your character there, leave whenever you want, and exit right before you win to avoid exp gain.
Your best hope is to just stick it out. If you have any friends that are good LOL players, ask them for help as well.

TL;DR Smurfs suck

Jabaar

06-17-2012

Quote:
HonorableGeneral:
My responses to the following:

1. This is rather situational. Usually if you're going for an AD carry (damage-dealer), you'll want to build squishy with mostly damage items to allow yourself to melt the enemy team. Your team should protect you, but if they don't hybrid items like Frozen Mallet which offer both tankiness and damage work in a pinch (it's best to just let your team do their jobs). With mages like Ziggs, you can get away with building tanky by investing in items like Crystal Scepter and Rod of Ages (since you're not as damage-dependent late-game as the AD carry). If you're bruiser, tanky DPS, or tank, then feel free to build tank and health items to supplement your current build, as that is your job.

2. This is also situational. Kills are 90% of the time never worth it if you're going to die to get the kill, but sometimes they are. Say you are a bruiser like Jax, and the AD carry Ashe is destroying your team. You get her low, and she retreats to tower. Killing her and dying is a good tradeoff as it drastically reduces enemy damage output (assuming they have no other AD carry, which in this meta they shouldn't) and allowing your team to function that much better. Basically, if you are a lower-priority class (support, tanky dps, etc.) and you see a high-priority damage-dealer who is low (AD or AP carry), you should dive if you KNOW you can get the kill to help your team blow out the enemy team's main damage dealers. Keep in mind that even in these 10% of cases where you die for the kill, you should be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN, let me repeat, ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that you will get the kill (otherwise you will die for nothing and feed the enemy carry more gold).

3. Good advice all around. Tanks and initiating players (players with heavy CC and tankiness) should keep in mind that they will be expected to initiate most of the town, so "playing it safe" is usually not good for these classes as they will be asked to jump into the fray first to allow the rest of the team some safety when a teamfight begins.

4. Good advice, nothing more to add.

5. Again, situational. See number two for more details, but the gist is: if you are 100% sure you can grab the kill (enemy has no escapes or heals and you have decent health to tank the turret) and you're sure you won't die (no enemies around for you to get baited into), then dive to pick up the kill. Usually a bad idea until you invest in some HP items (for tanks and bruisers) or you level up and get more health passively (for carries).

6. Part of this is correct. Staying healthy is important, but sometimes staying at turret when low on health has its advantages. This game is all about mind tricks, and the biggest one you can pull on people is luring them into tower-diving by appearing as though you meet all the criteria in number 5 (no escapes, heals, or allies nearby). Before attempting to bait make sure you have teammates with a global skill to assist you in damage-dealing or make sure you have a reliable stun you can pop before the enemy can burst you. Then, lure them in by running out and into tower-range, baiting them closer until they go in for the kill. Once they are within tower range, stun them and have any allies with global damage drop their hammers on them, and you'll find yourself a few gold coins richer and the enemy none-the-wiser. Don't try this until you can accurately gauge most of the champions in the game, as you may be in for a nasty surprise if a champion you're not familiar with pops a stun on you instead and picks up the kill.

i cant argue with your points if we're talking about a more experienced player, but i was talking about new players who tend to get excited and lose focus. excellent points however.

Redjik

06-17-2012

Well I hope you continue to play the game and not let these recent experiences ruin it for you. I also can't say it enough, report people who harass or are abusive towards you. These things are going to happen, especially with re-rolled players because perhaps they are ******s or simply forgot what it's like to play with someone more new to the game. But you will meet people match the opposite critera and those are the ones you wanted to add to your friends list. Will they be able to play every time your online? Doubtfull, but that's why you keep adding :].

Hope you get re-motivated and march right back in and kick some ass.

(PS: Feel free to add me in-game and if you have vent/ts installed, we can work on your...uhhh.. kdr =p, for a bit)

Quote:
FriedChickenMan:

You do need to play real games if you want to get better. Ignore the rude people, and report them if they're way out of line.

Hi Surfer Singe :]

Hsuanl

Recruiter

06-17-2012

it seemed like you are feeding your enemy in your profile... people automatically calls you noob when you: feed, have 3 dorans blade (lol), have non-mainstream itme build (lol), and when do non-mailstream lane (lolol). well you must SHOW them whos the noob there, by performing good :/, only by then may you be respected... I suggest getting a easy champ, such as ashe, or ryze, and starts CO op VS AI or custom gaming, sharpen you skill up and do 5V5, then 3V3 then ranked

raverusher

06-17-2012

suprised she hasnt commented yet ;P

"getting kills is a close second to not dieing"

did you see the mlg spring tournament? if you did then you would have noticed that thier k/d wasnt really that high..they had probaly less than 10 kills in about 90% of their games, but on the same note, they had really low death counts as well. focus on your mechanics, get your build down, prctice last hitting, and focus on not dieing...when you get those down, then go offensively

by all means, im no expert and im still learning myself, i have my bad games and i have my good ones, and always keep in mind that though you can always improve, if you lose a game its not just your fault (unless you fed hardcore) ive had bad games where our team still one, and good games where we all lost