Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Best way to play Udyr?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lFeb

08-26-2010

Best way to play Udyr? Tank right?
How to build him? How to forest? Skill and item builds?

Xrythidon

08-26-2010

Banshee's and Randuins, early jungle phase is where he peaks.

HuntsAlone

Wrenchman

08-26-2010

You can build udyr for ad or tank....

For jungling just get vamp scepter and turtle stance and keep spamming turtle stance.

Summerfield

08-26-2010

After banshees and randuins its usually not a bad idea getting a Madredz for late game (if it lasts that long) That will make you somewhat a dps'y/tank-threat aswell.

addEventListener

08-26-2010

ad udyr with some survivability rocks .. he can dish out a nuke every 4 secs.

Ash Ketchum

08-26-2010

I prefer to build him crit effectively making him a glass cannon like yi. Specking towards tiger stance. A better way to play him would be by jungling and building tanky and getting some damage such as blood razor.

13lackC4t

08-26-2010

Personally I play him tank unless there's an abundance then I go AD/AS.
Usually jungle with him, starting at golem with cloth armour and 5 health pots, and nothing else.
Upgrade cloth armour to wriggles lantern, it helps a lot.

Rylais is also surprisingly good on him, perma aoe slow with phoenix stance.

Shortzo

08-26-2010

wriggles lantern should build into something.
sacrifice the minion damage for a better endgame stat
maybe make the wards grant true sight, but last less time

Seth Winternight

08-26-2010

I've played udyr for a while and this is what I think:

He is one of the purest hybrid champions, so play to that strength. What I mean is build him tank first, so that you CAN (if needed) lane with a damage champion so harrass and kill effectively. Always max out turtle stance (jungling or not). Later game, get damage items for him.

Here's my suggestion (descending order):

Mercury Threads,
Sunfire Cape,
Banshee's Veil,
Bloodthirster, (eztra sustainability)
Phantom Dancer.
The 6th item is an open slot for whatever is needed (depending if they have too many tanks/physical DPS/ casters, in which i suggest GA, Madred's or Force of Nature).

Jungling:
Turtle stance if you're not as confident, but get pheonix stance if you are. Then once you got a level in each, always max them out first for jungling Udyr. If you start out jungling, aim for Madred's.

Extra Tips:

Like said above me, Rylai's is GREAT for supporting (constant slow). But If you don't like rylai's, I found hextech gunblade to be quite useful to give him the AP and AD he may need. Always try to follow this sequence in teamfights : lure>shield>stun>back away> stun again>assault>chase(by this time, your damage guys will have killed a few hopefully).

Hope this helps. Forgive if it's not as good as other builds, but it works for me

OOO almost forgot, summoner spells : exhaust and ghost. 21/5/4 in masteries. teehee

BlankMauser

08-26-2010

Play AP/Lich Bane Udyr! Soaking up damage with turtle stance and bear mauling people for 1K damage is fun. Get a nashors and your phoenix stance will give you nice AoE damage as well.

Or just build him tanky like most recommend. Randuins, banshees, sunfire, merc treads and whatnot. I go 0/21/9 Ghost+Smite for jungling and start with cloth armor + 5 health pots. Cloth armor -> madreds -> bloodrazer or lantern then build tanky from there. Melee DPS isn't that viable anymore, tanky carry diving + mass stuns is the way to go now.