A compiled list of the inspirations for champ design

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blazeise

06-15-2012

Hey guys. It should be no great surprise that most, if not all, champions are designed after a movie character, game character, from the community etc etc. I'm going to make a compilation to see just HOW many of the champions in League are made from previous designs. I dont mean "oh, so-and-so is kinda like a paladin". I mean things that are REALLY obvious. Like mundo who appears to be a mix between dr. jeckel and the hulk. Please add anything you know. Without further adu:
Mundo: Dr. Jackel/The hulk
Cho' Gath: The short fat demon guy from the movie "spawn" "the violater" i think his name is
Vayne: Demon hunter from d3
Mordekaiser: Sauran from Lord of the Rings
Nautilus: Im told he is "big daddy" or something like that from a video game.
Sivir: Xena maybe?

Blazeise

06-15-2012

anyone know of any others?

Jamaree

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-15-2012

Nautilus is based off the big daddy from Bioshock...you really never heard of Bioshock before though? Anyway, some that I know for sure are:

Brand is based of Surt from Norse myth, said to bring the end of the world thru fire, hence why Brand comes from the same place Olaf does.

Cassopeia is obviously based of Greek myth of the gorgon sisters, most like Medusa, why else would she have an ultimate that turns everyone she looks at into stone.

Ezreal is based off quincies from Bleach, hence the energy bow and the fact he is anime like, even has an anime dance.

Galio, Goliath from the Gargoyles cartoon (awesome cartoon by the way.)

Gangplank based off pirates, probably Blackbeard by his apperance. (Side note, there hasn't been a single reported case of a pirate actually saying RRRRRR, that is Hollywood.)

Hecarim is obviously based off Death or one of the Four other Horsemen of the Acoplyase. Comes from a dark place of mystery and death, said to bring fear and torment wherever he goes, so on so forth.

Lee Sin is based off an old Chinese/Japanese fable of a legendary blind monk, can't remember the name though.

Master Yi is based off old time Samurai, strict honor code, fast and precise, stuff like that.

Nasus is obviously a play on Anubis from Egpyt Myth, both played on death and stuff like that.

Noctourne is a mix of Spawn and Freddy Kruger.

Orianna is a Portal joke that doesn't want to say it is a Portal joke, but everyone thinks of her as a...portal joke.

Pantheon based off spartans, most notably the ones from 300 most likely.

Renekton is based on Set/Seth, whatever you prefer, who was like Nasus, the brother to Anubis.

Shaco is based off Joker.

Shen is LoL's Ryu Hayabasa BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO HAVE HIM IN EVERY GAME EVER!!!

Talon IS AN ORIGINAL CHARACTER THAT SHOULDN'T BE STOLEN AND WAS 100% THOUGHT UP BY RIOT AND NO ONE ELSE FIRST!!! (Joking, he is OBVIOUSLY based off the assassins from the Assassin's Creed franchise, evenutally they are just going to make his light blue cloak white and call it the Creed skin and call it a day.)

Twisted Fate is a play of Gambit from the X Men.

Veigar is OBVIOUSLY a play on the famous Final Fantasy character, Black Mage. Tiny, yellow eyes, weak at the start of the game, end game he kills things in one hit, stuff like that.

Vladmir is obviously based off the mix of the person who was the inspiration of Dracula, Vladmir the Implaer, and the one from the actually story Count Dracula.

Warwick is obviously a play on werewolves.

WuKong is OBVIOUSLY a play on Son Wu Kong from the tale "Journey to the West", hell, make his basic skin red and you would have Son WuKong all over again. They both have poles that can extend, both are honorable but michivious, both are warriors striving to find worthy opponents, both ride Nimbus clouds, so on, so forth.

and

Xin Zhao is a mixture of Zhao Yun and Lu Bu from the Three Kingdoms, or better known for the people who didn't research Chinese history as Dynasty Warriors. He had the ideals of Zhao Yun, an honorable young warrior, but he fights more like the stories of Lu Bu, flying into battle, spear in hand, taking on massive hordes of opponents and unbeatable odds and coming out on top, (like he did at release.)

That is what I know of personally.

Dravenitis

06-15-2012

Vayne is actually far more based on Bruce Wayne/Batman and the Death Dealers from underworld then the Diablo 3 Demon Hunter. (actually, the demon hunter also takes elements from these 2.)

Plus you spelled many of the character names wrong. and the "Big Daddy" nautilus character you've been told about is referring to the Big Daddies in the Bioshock game series.

TheoryoftheCrows

06-15-2012

Shen is pretty similar to Ryu from the Ninja Gaiden series.

Olaf is based on, well Vikings I guess.

Twisted Fate seems to be inspired partly by Gambit from X-Men (a general, Southern accent; card throwing).

Master Yi is fairly Samurai-esque (hence the skin that looks like a Samurai)

Karthus is a Lich. So Warcraft and any other game/media that has used that concept.

Nasus is like Anubis, the Egyptian god of judgment.

Pantheon is a Spartan. His jokes as well as the anagram of spartan in his lore allude to this.

Shaco is kind of like the Joker from Batman with some of the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland (again, skin name).

Vlad is like Dracula (also look at the skins)

Talon is kinda like the Assassin's Creed characters Ezio/Altair.

Gragas is just based on... being fat and sh*tfaced I think, lol.

That's a few.

Invictrix

06-15-2012

Annie is inspired by Lina Inverse from Slayers. Originally Annie was going to be a teenager, but she was changed to be a little girl and in hindsight I think that was the right choice.

Veigar is almost exactly the same as the character Black Mage. His eagle rider skin is a gandalf reference.

Corki is based on the Dwarven Gyrocopter unit from warcraft 3.

DebosBike

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-15-2012

They need to create a champion based off of Jesse Perring already!

Dravenitis

06-15-2012

To post some that weren't listed.

Just as Nasus is based off an Egyptian god, in this case Anubis (although they got it wrong, Anubis is a god of the afterlife, It's actually Osiris that's the Egyptian god of the dead.) Renekton, his brother, is based off the Egyptian god Sobek, Who the Egyptians would "pray" to for safe passage across the Nile from the feared Nile Crocodiles that inhabited the river.

Graves is a generic western cowboy archetype that has a passive named after 2 popular western films, True Grit.

Kayle and Morgana are based off the archangels Michael and Lucifer (who, much like Morgana fell from grace to become Satan.) in the Christian epic "Paradise lost", The difference is that Micheal and Lucifer were both male in said poem. Morgana also bears similarity to the sorceress Morgan/Morgana Le Fay from the legend of King Arthur, which is most closely seen in her Blackthorn Skin.

Anivia is obviously based off the mythical figure from ancient greece known as the phoenix, the difference being shes made of ice instead of fire, her passive pretty much seals the deal on this one. (Christ, she's even called "the ice phoenix")

Ahri is based off of multiple Asian legends of a mythical nine tailed fox, that one's easy.

Alistar is a minotaur, also a mythical creature from ancient greece.

This one is a stretch, but Urgot reminds me of a cross between the 6 million dollar man and The Makron, who's the primary antagonist in Quake 2 and 4. (particularly the Quake 4 version.)

Nidalee is inspired by the Ancient south and central American tribes that existed before the Spanish more or less wiped them out. (particularly the Aztecs, although they more had a thing for the native Jaguar as opposed to Cougars.)

Riven's story actually bears alot of resemblance to Aragorn, Who like her was exiled from his land with a broken sword that's later reforged.

Shen.... If I really have to say what Shen was inspired from I really don't know what to say.

Katarina/Miss Fortune are the archetypes of the femme fatale characters, particularly the former.

Fiora is obviously a fencer, clearly shown by her abilities, her duelist playstyle and by her French accent which is commonly associated with fencing. (The original rules of the sport come from Spain however.)

Tryndamere is a Barbarian, which originally means "anyone who isn't Greek" (literally) but best known for ruining Romes **** during their fall. His story draws heavily from the 1982 Conan movie aswell.

Taric is based off of gay pride.

Udyr can be seen as a Shaman, who originate from Siberia.

Gragas is based off well... A drunk with a beer belly.

Ok I'm sure there's more but I'd like to stop now.

Blazeise

06-16-2012

some of these are really good and ill be cross checking them, but some of them are a little vague. what i want are ACTUAL images that are nearly identical to the characters. Black mage, for example, is almost exact to veigars image.

xxxvagina420xxx

06-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balleritis View Post
Vayne is actually far more based on Bruce Wayne/Batman and the Death Dealers from underworld then the Diablo 3 Demon Hunter. (actually, the demon hunter also takes elements from these 2.)

Plus you spelled many of the character names wrong. and the "Big Daddy" nautilus character you've been told about is referring to the Big Daddies in the Bioshock game series.
vayne isn't batman. she's the huntress, a character from batman whose family was murdered by the mob and who shoots criminals with arrows from her wrist.