Foreigners in North American Server

123456 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KnightxSScarlett

06-15-2012

I speak spanish/portuguese in champ select just to troll the rest of the team.

Big Rage Dave

06-16-2012

Why can't Riot just make people choose a language in their profile and match people by a combination of Elo, Language preference, and w/e other criteria they use?

KnightxSScarlett

06-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rage Dave View Post
Why can't Riot just make people choose a language in their profile and match people by a combination of Elo, Language preference, and w/e other criteria they use?
Because this promotes bigotry?

Yusagii

06-16-2012

You people do realize that North America is a CONTINENT; a continent that consists of the COUNTRIES of:

Antigua and Barbuda
The Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Canada
Costa Rica
Cuba
Dominica
Dominican Republic
El Salvador
Greenland (Kalaallit Nunaat)
Grenada
Guatemala
Haiti
Honduras
Jamaica
Mexico
Nicaragua
Panama
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
United States of America

Of course everyone isn't going to speak English.

Big Rage Dave

06-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageinta Warrior View Post
Because this promotes bigotry?
Preferring to play with people who speak the same language as you is bigotry? If I said, "Need to filter white people playing with white people and browns with browns" you'd be correct. Since I didn't, you're just an idiot.

Does any one believe the people who speak primarily/only Spanish wouldn't prefer to also be defaulted into teams that speak the same language they do?

Big Rage Dave

06-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusagii View Post
You people do realize that North America is a CONTINENT; a continent that consists of the COUNTRIES of:

Antigua and Barbuda
The Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Canada
Costa Rica
Cuba
Dominica
Dominican Republic
El Salvador
Greenland (Kalaallit Nunaat)
Grenada
Guatemala
Haiti
Honduras
Jamaica
Mexico
Nicaragua
Panama
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
United States of America

Of course everyone isn't going to speak English.
Didn't realize

The Bahamas
Costa Rica
Cuba
Greenland
Jamaica

were COUNTRIES on the CONTINENT of North America.

I get your point but if you're gonna be sarcastic, saying a bunch of islands/land masses are on the continent of North America throws off your credibility a bit.

Yusagii

06-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rage Dave View Post
Didn't realize

The Bahamas
Costa Rica
Cuba
Greenland
Jamaica

were COUNTRIES on the CONTINENT of North America.

I get your point but if you're gonna be sarcastic, saying a bunch of islands/land masses are on the continent of North America throws off your credibility a bit.

They are sovereign states/dependent territories within the Caribbean which is also part of North America. Someone didn't pay attention in Geography.

NamidaTekika

06-16-2012

Isn't the panama area and such more central america? Mexico is close but not quite IIRC.

More on topic.

I do think that a language matching would make things smoother in many cases since people being able to communicate is a huge part of the game. Not even a bigot type issue but in a team game being flat unable to communicate just makes things harder.

I've had a few games were people were speaking (i think) spanish but I don't know the language so can't be sure, and even asking politely if they could speak english isn't really helpful since theres two issues there.

A) They have as much reason to expect me to speak their language as I to expect them to speak mine in an entertainment medium of the game (if there is no official language for the game).
B)I can't expect them to know my language anymore then I can be expected to know theirs. Sure we MIGHT know a common language, but if not thats not one side's fault.

@Mageinta Warrior it would hardly promote bigotry as much as be more focused on matching people with those who can effectively play as a team. If in the profile or something you could input what languages you can speak/understand and it matches you with others who can speak those languages it would be more conducive to a team atmosphere then not instead of contributing to frustration of those who can't participate in the team game as effectively due to language barriers.

Frazone

06-16-2012

language barriers are going to cause conflict in real life as well, get used to it adapt

NamidaTekika

06-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazone View Post
language barriers are going to cause conflict in real life as well, get used to it adapt
And in real life there are ways to mitigate a spoken language barrier. Tone, inflection, body language, gestures, etc. Guess what, the game is not real life and we have none of those besides basic pings to try to communicate with a person who has no grasp of the language you know, and they are at the exact same disadvantage as you.

In real life you can also mitigate the language barrier issues based on where you live, work, and travel. Depending on where you go in the world it is expected to raise or lower a likelihood of encountering given languages. In the middle or north of the US you raise your encountering English greatly and lower other languages, but if you take a trip to Europe or Mexico you can expect your encountering of English to drop and other languages to take precedence.

The problem is within the confines of the game there is no expectation of encountering someone who can communicate effectively with you at this time and that presents a problem in a game where communication plays a large role and places not only YOU at a disadvantage, but your whole team.

123456 ... 9