Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


Valen, the Unshakeable Vanguard (Art Included)!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FarahBoom

Senior Member

06-13-2012

Hello and Welcome. If any of you were fans of my previous Champion 'Misha, the Fists of Colossus', then i hope you will enjoy this Champion aswell. Here he is, Valen, the Unshakeable Vangaurd.
459205

Lore: Valen, the Unshakeable Vanguard

Lore-
Valen was a kind man, and well-respected among his fellow men in Demacia as a gentleman and a well-trained guard. He took it upon himself to be always on guard in his village to protect everyone at all costs, for as a child he watched many friends and loved ones fall in battle and swore when of age, he would protect the innocent so useless blood need not be shed. Late one evening in his village, the sound of screams were heard coming from a thick fog billowing over the homes. Valen sprinted from his bed donned with his shield and sword prepared to lay down his life. From the fog he saw, demacians, an army of the dead villagers from long ago, being led by Hecarim. With a terrifying roar the army surged through the village, man then woman then child falling one by one, no longer able to dictate friend or foe in the dense fog. Valen did his best during the onslaught to distinguish friend from foe, but sadly was unable to, and his blade took the life of his wife who got caught in the battle. Hecarim declared he had enough fun, and drew back the spectre army, leaving Valen to weep at the bodies of his friends, family, and loving wife.
The next months were horrifying for Valen, unable to sleep, his rest was plagued with the screams of the people, and his wife, he failed to save, spending all day and night in the taverns just to stay awake. Valen was about to give up all hope until a gigantic man entered the tavern, Valen gazed intently until his blurred vision returned to normal to set his eyes on Galio. Galio looked down at him and told Valen he heard of the night he lost his wife, but also heard of the many lives he did save. Valen stood up and slammed his fist into the table and yelled, “What good am I as a fighter if I couldn’t save everyone.” Galio looked sternly back into Valen’s eyes and said, “People don’t need a fighter, they need a protector, you.” Valen’s eye lite up at Galio’s words, and at that moment Valen declared he would never hold a sword again, and upon that day to honor his wife, he would replace his weapon with a second shield, to remind himself always that he is a guardian. The next day, Valen left with Galio, and journeyed to the league of legends. He would honor those who fell under his watch by protecting everyone against the horror of Hecarim and all other evil that plagues the innocent.
- Only in failure does a man realize how to set right what he once wronged. – Galio






Valen’s Abilities

Passive – Defensive Stance
Valen returns 1% damage on basic attacks per every 10armor he has.
or
Passive - Interception
Valen readies himself for oncoming attacks, the next targeted ability that would kill an ally is instead redirected to Valen. 2 - 3 minute CD

Recurrence –
Basic attacks dealt to Valen make his shield vibrate, giving him a recurrence charge. Upon reaching 4 charges he can release the stores vibration energy from his shield stunning all targets in front of him for 1 seconds. Charges will not stack until the move comes off CD.
Passive – passively increases his health 50 each level.
Reflection –
Valen angles his shield reflecting sunlight off the mirrored surface, all enemies facing Valen are blinded and slowed for 1.5 seconds. Enemies facing away from Valen are unaffected.
Stand your Ground-
Valen raises his shield for 1.5 seconds absorbing the next unfriendly ability used against him. If an ability is absorbed his passive is doubled for 4 seconds. (with first passive)
Iron Maiden –
Valen throws a shield to his target immobilizing them, he then dashes and slams his shields shut on his target dealing damage and suppressing them making them untargetable by friendly and non-friendly abilities for 3 seconds and taunting all units he passes through. Any damage that Valen receives during this time is directly added as bonus damage to the suppressed target.

* I wanted Valen to be a threatening tank, without the normal threat capacities other tanks have, by forcing you to attack them and severely de-buffing their damage. I wanted him to essentially punish the enemy team when they make poor decisions. For example, by placing Iron Maiden onto a support or the enemies carry, they wont necessarily die, but if the rest of the enemy team is hammering away with AoE and not paying attention they may have accidentally just annihilated their own teammate by allowing a large burst spell (Primordial Blast) to be redirected to Valen while he has suppressed a target. He can also make that crucial save that is necessary if a team mate might die and Valen is weak himself, by understanding the battle he can (Stand your Ground) and Null a potential fatal spell.

** Due to concerns with his inability to truly take advantage of his ultimate by teams that play smart, i have added a taunt along the path Valen travels to close the Iron Maiden, giving a moderate boost to his ability to guarantee atleast getting into the battle and really locking in on a target and reducing his other CC abilities to be more of a disrupt rather than any hardcore disables as he was before. Feel free to comment on this change.

Taunt / What's inside my Shields you ask? Come inside and find out! (Slams shields shut in front of him)

Joke / (Climbs inside Shields and slowly shuts them) Now you see me, now yo-OW OW....(jumps out) ill leave that to a magician.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gjom

Senior Member

06-14-2012

First off. This champion is really awesome. Where'd you get the art?
Secondly.. I am a big fan of the Lore.. It has a very nice, solemnly sweet ending. As a writer myself, I like what I read, and would definitely love to see the champion just because of it.

So for the Passive, is it a two part passive, or are you letting us choose? I'm not really sure. Either or, they are both fine, and uh.. You might want to have a range on the second one.. Maybe like.. 1000 or 1400, the typical/smallest "big range" for passives/abilities and ultimates.

The Q, when I first was reading it.. I was like WHAT 2 second stun. That's bullsh*t, then I remembered he has to be hit 4 times. Is it ANY attack, or just champion hits? Because if 4 minions hit him.. He has a stun. Just curious if it's champions only.

Also, in a general consensus, you might want to clean up the skills a little bit. Add some numbers, and have it so it goes a little like..

Quote:

Recurrence (Q):
Passive: Valen has an additional 50/100/150/200/250 Health.

Active: Basic attacks dealt to Valen make his shield vibrate, giving him a Recurrence Charge. Upon reaching 4 charges, Valen can release the stored vibration energy from his shield, stunning all targets in front of him for 2 seconds and dealing x/x/x/x/x (0.0 per Attack Damage/Ability Power/Armor/Magic Resist/Whatever) magic/physical damage. Recurrence Charges will not begin stacking until Recurrence comes off cooldown.

Mana Cost: x/x/x/x/x Cooldown: x/x/x/x/x Stun Range: x


Anyways.. I like that ability.

For the W, I like it.. It's like a Teemo Blinding Dart combined with a Cass ult.. Minus the fact that if they ARE turning away, nothing happens.

The E, I like it. It's something simple. It just doubles the percentage dealt back. It's like making him have a weaker thornmail, but for all damage types. It's cool. Considering it works well with his ideal, his character and with his kit.

That ult is pretty cool. So.. He stops a target and saves them from battle. It's like a defensive/offensive move. You alone can focus the carry, and any damage YOU take, they take as well.. Kind of awesome. I would LOVE to just dive in on an Ashe or Caitlyn and just WHAM! "Taste your own team's justice B*TCH"
*ahem*

- - -

So overall, I love this idea. I really really do. Makes me proud to see awesome ideas like this out there. Very well put together. My only negative things are, there are no numbers/ratios/cooldowns and such put into place so the skills are somewhat hard to judge..

There is (aside from the picture) no additional description, like Sayings/Quotes/Hotkeys etc.

I'm definitely giving this a thumbs up though. GREAT job Summoner.

- - -
Would you mind checking out my champion concepts?
The feedback would be very much appreciated.
Padlock = http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2111576
Ghraath = http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1973834
Adam = http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=25163363
- - -
ALSO. Check out my Champion Review Thread!
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2191347


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FarahBoom

Senior Member

06-14-2012

Quote:
Gjom:
First off. This champion is really awesome. Where'd you get the art?
Secondly.. I am a big fan of the Lore.. It has a very nice, solemnly sweet ending. As a writer myself, I like what I read, and would definitely love to see the champion just because of it.

So for the Passive, is it a two part passive, or are you letting us choose? I'm not really sure. Either or, they are both fine, and uh.. You might want to have a range on the second one.. Maybe like.. 1000 or 1400, the typical/smallest "big range" for passives/abilities and ultimates.

The Q, when I first was reading it.. I was like WHAT 2 second stun. That's bullsh*t, then I remembered he has to be hit 4 times. Is it ANY attack, or just champion hits? Because if 4 minions hit him.. He has a stun. Just curious if it's champions only.

Also, in a general consensus, you might want to clean up the skills a little bit. Add some numbers, and have it so it goes a little like..



Anyways.. I like that ability.

For the W, I like it.. It's like a Teemo Blinding Dart combined with a Cass ult.. Minus the fact that if they ARE turning away, nothing happens.

The E, I like it. It's something simple. It just doubles the percentage dealt back. It's like making him have a weaker thornmail, but for all damage types. It's cool. Considering it works well with his ideal, his character and with his kit.

That ult is pretty cool. So.. He stops a target and saves them from battle. It's like a defensive/offensive move. You alone can focus the carry, and any damage YOU take, they take as well.. Kind of awesome. I would LOVE to just dive in on an Ashe or Caitlyn and just WHAM! "Taste your own team's justice B*TCH"
*ahem*

- - -

So overall, I love this idea. I really really do. Makes me proud to see awesome ideas like this out there. Very well put together. My only negative things are, there are no numbers/ratios/cooldowns and such put into place so the skills are somewhat hard to judge..

There is (aside from the picture) no additional description, like Sayings/Quotes/Hotkeys etc.

I'm definitely giving this a thumbs up though. GREAT job Summoner.

- - -
Would you mind checking out my champion concepts?
The feedback would be very much appreciated.
Padlock = http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2111576
Ghraath = http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1973834
Adam = http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=25163363
- - -
ALSO. Check out my Champion Review Thread!
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2191347


Thank you very much, i really appreciate the feedback. The art is mine, im making all my own art for my champions, also did it for my other champion Misha, the Fists of Colossus. And yes, i do need to really crank out some numbers for these moves but i shall admit, not the greatest mathematician so i gotta really sit down and concentrate on that. As far as his passives i was bouncing between them but i started to prefer his second ability (redirecting). And ill get right on some quotes, spending like 14 hours straight making this guys art and skill sets kinda drains ya you know? lol But again Thank you very much, and ill hop on over to your champs!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FarahBoom

Senior Member

06-14-2012

bump


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FarahBoom

Senior Member

06-14-2012

bump for edited move list


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gjom

Senior Member

06-14-2012

Quote:
FarahBoom:
Thank you very much, i really appreciate the feedback. The art is mine, im making all my own art for my champions, also did it for my other champion Misha, the Fists of Colossus. And yes, i do need to really crank out some numbers for these moves but i shall admit, not the greatest mathematician so i gotta really sit down and concentrate on that. As far as his passives i was bouncing between them but i started to prefer his second ability (redirecting). And ill get right on some quotes, spending like 14 hours straight making this guys art and skill sets kinda drains ya you know? lol But again Thank you very much, and ill hop on over to your champs!


This is probably a weird question, but would you happen to want to do some art for me as well? I really like it. It's neat, and I wouldn't mind it for my own concepts. :P I can provide any information for you if you need.

And yeah. Numbers are hard. Don't sweat it.. People will also be wanting to tweak the numbers for EVER.. I'm still having people tweak my numbers. Like I said. Don't worry about making it 100% perfect on release. Speculation and change is a good trait to have.

Yeah. I can see that the art was a big part, and if I was you, I'd want art before quotes.. I, just don't have talent. xD


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FarahBoom

Senior Member

06-14-2012

Quote:
Gjom:
This is probably a weird question, but would you happen to want to do some art for me as well? I really like it. It's neat, and I wouldn't mind it for my own concepts. :P I can provide any information for you if you need.

And yeah. Numbers are hard. Don't sweat it.. People will also be wanting to tweak the numbers for EVER.. I'm still having people tweak my numbers. Like I said. Don't worry about making it 100% perfect on release. Speculation and change is a good trait to have.

Yeah. I can see that the art was a big part, and if I was you, I'd want art before quotes.. I, just don't have talent. xD


I would not mind at all doing some work for you, i would be honored to give you a hand with your champions. Just let me know which of your champions you would like me to start with.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FarahBoom

Senior Member

06-14-2012

bump


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gjom

Senior Member

06-14-2012

Quote:
FarahBoom:
I would not mind at all doing some work for you, i would be honored to give you a hand with your champions. Just let me know which of your champions you would like me to start with.


Um you could start with Adam or Padlock. Just post on them if you need additional details.
Thank you ever so much!! ^_^


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FarahBoom

Senior Member

06-14-2012

Quote:
Gjom:
Um you could start with Adam or Padlock. Just post on them if you need additional details.
Thank you ever so much!! ^_^


You got it brohab, ill post on Padlock with my concept drawings and see how you like them asap.