Locked Camera Players Purple Side Disadvantage

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Venova

09-24-2012

Theres a fix already for this - get used to unlocked camera. Dota 2 doesn't even have an option for locked camera, all you can do is double tap your "select self" key and it will follow you but not locked and the camera will drift slightly. All this whining about locked camera disadvantage is like saying "I can't see well because I wear sunglasses" - take them off. "I can't go fast on my bicycle because of the training wheels" - take them off. This game is all about learning, everyone who plays is always has something to learn or improve at, even at the highest levels. This is just another one of those things.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-25-2012

This is hardly the same as your examples, Ven.

It's worth noting that, even with an unlocked camera, you'll always be able to see more of the purple side of the screen then the blue side. Yes, you can position it so your champion is to the purple side of the center of the screen, and you'll get a view more closely approximating blue team fixed, but in this case the camera doesn't follow you - you'd have to constantly keep it centered away from your champ, which seriously intereferes with actually playing the game.

Some solutions I would offer -

Flipping the perspective for purple players to mirror blue players. This is one of the most common suggestions, and the pros and cons have been thoroughly discussed, so I'll not go into greater detail. Suffice it to say I believe it's a viable option.

Changing the way zoom works. Perhaps making the current maximum zoom the new minimum zoom, and giving a scaling range approximately equal to the current range. As far as I know, NO ONE zooms in to play, while almost everyone would benefit from the ability to zoom out and have a larger vision range around their champion. While this still doesn't fix the blue team camera angle bias, it does make it less of a factor.

A third option is to allow camera locking without the champion at center screen. With this option, a purple team player could make the change I recommended in the first paragraph, and actually have it follow them that way, at least throughout the laning phase.

My preferred option is to simply remove the camera angle, creating the same perspective for both teams. Unfortunately, I have no idea how feasible this is, and it may actually seriously impact the look of the game - a top down perspective would eliminate alot of the detail that's available with the current angle.

But the fact is, learning to play unlocked is not the solution. I personally choose fixed because it allows me to focus on gameplay while maximizing my situational awareness - that is, I can see as far as can be expected in all directions, and I'm always able to react if something happens in the vicinity of my champion, rather then having to move the camera back(even with the re-center key) before I can react.

It's a personal preference, and the only time I unlock my camera is when using very long range abilities, such as Nocturne's ultimate. So yes, I can use it if needed... it simply isn't the perspective I want when I play.

Captain Meatball

09-25-2012

This is why I gave up on playing ranged champions. I keep the camera unlocked and move it around when on the purple side. The point is that you shouldn't HAVE to move it around on one side and not on the other. It's pretty dumb and for all the greatness that this game offers it's pretty poor design.

Overturf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-26-2012

personally i believe, a simple flip on the HUD for purple would be epicly beneficial. just move the bot HUD to the top and the top HUD to the bottom and this issue should be fixed because the only other option is to minimize the HUD to nothing which is just as bad as it is now. due lack of knowing whats going on.

Overturf

09-26-2012

just thought of it, but turning the map itsself 45 degrees as to be a diamond in stead of square. like theTwisted Treeline map.

......../---------------------------------------------\
blue--------------------------------------------------purple
........\---------------------------------------------/

Sereg Anfaug

09-27-2012

Sounds like a very good solution to me. I'd still like a bit more Zoom, but rotating the map that way would definitely improve the camera angle issues(although I believe there's also a left-to-right bias in addition to the top-to-bottom, so it wouldn't be perfect).

buneter

09-29-2012

I get affected and no skill shots i have all locked on skills but when they run away their behind my items and i cant cick them also not only do i prefer locked camera but its impossible for a lock on skill to hit because their running away and that moves the camera right as you click so you have to relocate the target and it screws up your timing

Dan

10-07-2012

bump

Unvictus

10-10-2012

Bump.. want this really bad, or at least give the option of moving the HUD to the top of the screen instead of the bottom when on purple team

newkio

10-10-2012

I am the same. I cannot for the life of me play purple bot or purple top. The hud gets in my way when i play a champion with skill shots like kog maw, ez, or nidalee. Any other time if im on blue i can do amazing with them. Blue team does have in advantage with eh angle of the camera. Personally i don need to know how many kills i have and what not take the top bars off and just flip the hud to top for purple team this way purple team bot players now have an equal standing to blue team bot