Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Proving Grounds feedback from an ARAM vet

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dr Fagget

06-13-2012

I personally like ARAB alot more than ARAM, and since there isn't much point in making 2 separate maps for each, I think PG covers them both very well. Stop all the hate guys <3

Phourc

06-13-2012

Quote:
RiotNome:
I'll actually be jumping onto the live team for the conceivable future to provide long-term support for not just Proving Grounds, but other non-SR maps as well.

Nome! Not to entirely derail the threads, but when you switch over to live, you should totally post in the Dom forums when you can, we're kinda red-starved

@topic: Can't wait to see this hit live, kind of concerned how many people so far seem to dislike it, though ):

Jassu

06-13-2012

Quote:
DreamsOfGrandeur:

I'm just being very very VERY in-your-face about it. (Sorry, couldn't come up with a better adjective) They knew exactly what we wanted Proving Grounds for - And decided they could make it "better".

And it's my opinion to say so. So, I don't feel like a ****** or whatever you typed.

Actually, what you're doing is being a jerk and making arbitrary assertions with little else other than fallacies to support them.

Perhaps your criticism would be perceived more favorably and would also be more useful if you constructed your arguments well.

LatinSnake

06-14-2012

I prefer ARAB more than ARAM but why not make 2 types of rules?

Fast-paced (FPPG? lol): Everything like now in PG
Old School (OSPG? lol some random names): Everything like SR (1 gold, lvl 1, etc) but with recall blocked, same spells as PG and no brushes

George W Nome

Game Designer

06-14-2012

Quote:
Phourc:
Nome! Not to entirely derail the threads, but when you switch over to live, you should totally post in the Dom forums when you can, we're kinda red-starved

@topic: Can't wait to see this hit live, kind of concerned how many people so far seem to dislike it, though ):

Already started
I'll post in any threads that pique my interest. Back on-subject!

Quote:
LatinSnake:
I prefer ARAB more than ARAM but why not make 2 types of rules?

Fast-paced (FPPG? lol): Everything like now in PG
Old School (OSPG? lol some random names): Everything like SR (1 gold, lvl 1, etc) but with recall blocked, same spells as PG and no brushes

A "classic" ruleset is a possibility in the future.

IS1d6d3ffc5d25bf1bdf6f0

06-14-2012

Quote:
DreamsOfGrandeur:
I'm speaking purely on my own opinion and on behalf of people who prefer ARAM over ARAB (like me).

No you aren't. You're speaking on behalf of only yourself, please don't try to put yourself on a pedestal.

Quote:
YES.

Why? Because it was different.

This statement leaves me really incredulous too. I'm honestly not sure how you can 'enjoy' getting stuck with champions who are essentially dead weight provided the enemy team isn't either equally unlucky or entirely incompetent, much less perceive it as a superior design choice for a game where you can't actually pick who you play as. Though honestly, even if ADAM or APAM was the dominant gametype, it's still hardly something I'd imagine many people would encourage.

Lexxasaurus

06-14-2012

I agree with a lot of what has been said. I was excited and couldn't wait to take a crack at this map but after doing so I'm a bit disappointed. What I liked about ARAM is how long the games took and how every move needed to be thought about. You didn't get passive gold and had to be careful on spending it, you also had to play a tricky game with minions and kills it made it fun. I feel like with this passive gold gain I'm just playing ARAB and in all honesty I dislike ARAB and don't really care for Dom because of the snowballing feel.
At the moment, as a ARAM player, I will probably stick to the old way.

Wunderbar

06-14-2012

Quote:
JoshysGyfte:
So you enjoyed getting melee champs with no hope of doing anything unless a fight broke out? Udyr,Fiora,Hecarim,Irelia, etc. were all useless until there was an actual fight, and even then had no items or gold because if they tried to harass/farm they would get owned. That was fun for you being in that position?

Actually, no. I've played Garen and other melee characters on SR ARAM (and been a huge contributing factor to winning), and I can say they do not suck. It's that the people playing them don't understand how it works. Yes, you might have a hard time the first few levels. That just means you have to be skilled and dodge the opponents' poke, while capitalizing on their mistakes. At some points you also have to not be afraid of dying and just initiate on them.. and you have to do it at the right time. This requires skill. This new gametype is dumbed down far too much for the melee role.

Quote:
JoshysGyfte:
How could you possible know the people who prefer ARAM over ARAB don't like the Proving Grounds? Out of all the comments you've been making it appears as though you're wanting changes, that you think everyone will like. Which is exactly what you're criticizing Riot for lol

And not sure if you know this or not, but a lot of people wanted Proving Grounds for a 1v1 map as well.

I'm also a very experienced ARAM AND ARAB player, and I dislike proving grounds. Not hate it. It's playable. But I think they tried to mix two gametypes that called for completely different things. That not only made this map horribly unbalanced (GO TANKY AOE CC TEAMS!), but introduced a bunch of other factors that weren't fun to deal with.

Honestly though, if there's just one suggestion I may make to make this a bit more enjoyable: lengthen respawn timers towards the end, or lower Nexus turret damage. I noticed it was way too hard to do the winning push sometimes because even if you ace the enemy team end-game, it would be too hard to capitalize on it with the amount of time they have to spawn.

Momento Morì

06-14-2012

Quote:
Wunderbar:
This requires skill.

lolno. It requires the enemy team being stupid. Which, fortunately, is going to be the case more often than not because ARAM is not exactly a gametype designed to attract particularly thoughtful players.

Quote:
That not only made this map horribly unbalanced

Because that's a new concept to ARAM players.

Wunderbar

06-14-2012

Quote:
Momento Morì:
lolno. It requires the enemy team being stupid. Which, fortunately, is going to be the case more often than not because ARAM is not exactly a gametype designed to attract particularly thoughtful players.

... Spoken by a truely skilled 1268 elo player.

No seriously you're a mother ****ing moron. Your job as a melee is partially to LURE them into mistakes. Not only that, but you have to know when mistakes happen, and where you can turn them into your team's advantage.

YOU HAVE NO ****ING CLUE HOW MELEES WORK IN ARAM. YOU ARE A ****ING IDIOT. GET THE **** OUT.