Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Proving Grounds feedback from an ARAM vet

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AndrewXA9

06-13-2012

I keep seeing posts like this getting a lot of downvotes and it's frustrating. Some people, myself included, just like classic ARAM better and were disappointed in the direction PG took. I think all that's really needed is an option for the current PG passives like the gold gain and starting at lvl 3, or a classic ARAM style, where these can be removed and the map is mush more true to ARAM. This way you can play it whichever way you like.

Brackhar

Features Designer

06-13-2012

Quote:
DreamsOfGrandeur:

To be clear: Riot does not give a **** about the classic feel of ARAM.
They decided to add their own twists to it, to make it appeal to more people and neglect the veteran players.

That's the reality here. Marketing.

It makes sense, but as a ARAM-fan, I can relate and say: It feels like you're being treated yesterday's garbage.

We wanted to create something new and fun with this implementation while taking lessons from both ARAM and ARAB experiences. One of my longer term goals is actually to allow for variant rulesets on both this map and for SR; that'll probably be my next Thunderdome project. If I'm successful in doing that then you would be able to play SR without towers in side lines, and conversely play PG without the ambient gold and XP changes. I'm sorry you don't like what we made, but also keep in mind that you can still play ARAM as you've played it on SR until I get an opportunity to do that.

It's not a marketing thing, we just made something we thought was cool.

Grim Reaper

06-13-2012

Quote:
DreamsOfGrandeur:
To be clear: Riot does not give a **** about the classic feel of ARAM.
They decided to add their own twists to it, to make it appeal to more people and neglect the veteran players.

That's the reality here. Marketing.

It makes sense, but as a ARAM-fan, I can relate and say: It feels like you're being treated yesterday's garbage.

Quote:
Brackhar:
We wanted to create something new and fun with this implementation while taking lessons from both ARAM and ARAB experiences. One of my longer term goals is actually to allow for variant rulesets on both this map and for SR; that'll probably be my next Thunderdome project. If I'm successful in doing that then you would be able to play SR without towers in side lines, and conversely play PG without the ambient gold and XP changes. I'm sorry you don't like what we made, but also keep in mind that you can still play ARAM as you've played it on SR until I get an opportunity to do that.

Grandeur, I bet you feel like a **** now.

AndrewXA9

06-13-2012

Quote:
Brackhar:

This is absolutely what I was hoping to hear, an option to be able to play PG like classic ARAM. Thank you for saying this, I've been trying to find an answer about it since PG was released to pbe.

I will say Grandeur put it way too harshly, and even if I like classic ARAM better, there's no need to be rude about it.

Looking forward to updates on this

Brackhar

Features Designer

06-13-2012

Quote:
AndrewXA9:
This is absolutely what I was hoping to hear, an option to be able to play PG like classic ARAM. Thank you for saying this, I've been trying to find an answer about it since PG was released to pbe.

I will say Grandeur put it way too harshly, and even if I like classic ARAM better, there's no need to be rude about it.

Looking forward to updates on this

Understand that'll be a bit in coming and I may not even be successful with my attempt in the next Thunderdome, but that's what I want to do. We even organized some of the basic tech implementations here to support that in the future.

ACookieMonster

06-13-2012

Quote:
DreamsOfGrandeur:
It's not that they made it less fun.
It's that they changed it from what the players of ARAM wanted:

A Summoner's Rift, where the jungle, and other lanes were blocked off, so no one could break the rules.

I agree with the OP in a lot of aspects, but I know Riot isn't going to do anything about this sort of concern.

That's why I really hope they make it possible to sandbox our own custom games in the future.
Make it so we can close down other lanes before the game even starts, remove certain items, or start at specific levels/gold.

That way, we can worry less about ragers who decide they won't want to follow the rules, or start making more elaborate mini-games.

Wow, i've never disagreed with a post this much.

I see the OP has a lot of concerns, but, most of them are just what made me dislike ARAM in comparison to ARAB, getting 1 item and being steamrolled if your team isnt a poke comp with lots of CC is nowhere as fun as a constant fight back and forth, this is where the extra gold and xp help, they are not helping the other team snowball but the opposite, the extra gold is keeping your team in the game.

Overall, i REALLY like the new ARAM map although i havent had the chance to play it more than a few times(no mouse FTL), if you feel that the ARAM map should be just the same map as Summoner's rift there would be no reason to even make a new map for ARAM.

TL;DR: If you want to play ARAM just as you play it on Summoner's rift, go play it on summoner's rift.

Doomscorpzy

Recruiter

06-13-2012

Just because they released a new map doesn't mean you can't play ARAM on summoners rift still, I'm sure plenty of people would still join you.

AndrewXA9

06-13-2012

Quote:
Brackhar:
Understand that'll be a bit in coming and I may not even be successful with my attempt in the next Thunderdome, but that's what I want to do. We even organized some of the basic tech implementations here to support that in the future.

This is absolutely understandable, I'm happy just to hear about it. I do hope you know not all of us ARAM classic guys are so heated over PG. I think PG will be much better than classic ARAM once these options are in place.

Love you guys <3

JoshysGyfte

06-13-2012

Quote:
Brackhar:

I hope you know now, every week someone will be crying asking where the classic ARAM is on the PG map, simply because you said you're going to try it lol Better have Morello get ready to forum tank =]

MorningBlues

06-13-2012

Quote:
RiotNome:
It's also possible that we add a "classic" mode to the map in the future that removes the health relics, ambient gold and experience, and sets you back to level 1.

All I wanted to hear, but health relics are okay, its just the ambient gold/exp that really ruins the classic feel for me.