I suck with Swain sooooo much

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1c5019c283e69d4080426

06-13-2012

Played him again after his buffs, and I'm still godawful with him.

Honestly, I've been thinking he's garbage for a good 3 months now, but I admit i'm bad too.

My major points are:

His farm. I need to use W to AOE creeps, but that makes my opponent close in to harass me. His attack animation is bad, and his skills do DOT instead of direct damage, making last hitting hard. Also his ult hits randomly, So i need to leave it on for a long time to kill an entire creep wave.

His range is pathetic. Orianna, Cassiopeia, Xerath, Ahri **** all over me, and there's nothing I can really do about that.

His damage is lackluster without a DFG. Seriously, he cannot burst at all. As an ap carry, having no burst , and short range is REALLY bad for a mage. I simply cannot get over that.

He explodes instantly in teamfights. I get ignited the second I press R, and I just get destroyed.

These are my major sticking points.

Any help?

arcticnerd

06-13-2012

I think you have some issues you need to work out first. The glaring one is that you should almost never use your abilities to kill creeps. There are a few exceptions but for swain you need to concentrate on last hitting with your auto attacks. There are some guides out there that show how to do this properly.

Cappysam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

06-13-2012

Swain is also one of the few characters who almost requires Cleanse. Removing ignite is extremely important for him.

Kaoelith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-13-2012

If you are using abilities to aoe down creeps you are doing it wrong, the only time that should even happen is on super creeps or to heal up with your ulti.

he isn't a burst like some other casters he does sustained damage over the whole fight since his abilities has relatively low cds

if you are also dying fast you built him wrong, with his ulti and bluebuff alone you shouldn't die, but normally on swain you build sturdy so you can use your ulti, rod of ages and rylais is common to see on swains

oh and also if you are losing to ahri you aren't even using your spells right, when she tries to use her charm turn on ulti, when she uses q take the split second delay on it to use your w>q>e since your w will land unless she flashes/ultis

I never had a problem with ori you can harass more if you play aggressive, which you kind of have to with swain
e>q>w will make ori go cry by her tower

xerath get boots fast and try to avoid his stun, otherwise when he roots himself combo him with w first since he will try to break and run if you use other spells first, this lane is really about who hits 6 first or who gets ganks more

as for cass, just last hit and try to poke back if you can land your w when she isn't near creeps otherwise just don't die

Narvuntien

06-13-2012

Ok

E is leveled first (always take R when available) that is his damage.

whether you level W or Q next depends on how aggressive your lane opponent is and whether you need single target or AoE more.

normally Q is next though.

E + Q is a lot of damage and you should punish anyone that gets close to you with it.

W is your gap closer, with practice you can anticipate peoples movements and hit them with it almost every time unless they have a ms buff or a flash like skill. once you hit it you step in for the kill.

Swain has trouble with long range high burst opponents, since that do more damage from further away. they are also squishy as long as you can avoid being CC'ed by them before you get your damage on you should be fine.

I don't take cleanse on him... Ignites damage is increased with his E.. more damage is good... my solution to being ignited is normally Zhonya's or simply backing out of a fight. It takes practice to understand just how much damage you can take before you have to throw down some CC an escape. but cleanse is an option and you can try to see if it is for you.

I build fairly tanky.
Sorc shoes, RoA, Chalice, Zhonya's, Anthenes, Abssyal, WotA. I don't like the all out AP version since Swain is DoT he needs to stay in a fight for as long as he can for maxium damage.

Blue buff is amazing get it everytime you can...my experience is Swain + blue buff + teamfight = triple kill

TheOneMillion

06-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappysam View Post
Swain is also one of the few characters who almost requires Cleanse. Removing ignite is extremely important for him.
Cleanse doesnt remove the heal reduction part of ignite..?

GhostDonkeys

06-13-2012

With swain just last hit with auto attacks, Max R>E>Q>W. I personally hardly ever use my nevermove in laning except for when I pull out my whole combo.

With Swain it's key to dodge skill shots since you are close range When enemies get in range E them every time you can. When they flash in use E>Q>W(landing W will be easy when they are slowed)>Ignite. (use ult if you have it also). If the enemy is close they will take the full damage of your Q just trying to walk away.

Swain isn't bad trust me, just don't put him up against certain mids (like Fizz).

cpandarun

06-13-2012

Before 20 minutes you shouldn't use any abilities to take down creeps except when pushing before you back or to get last hits in under tower. If the enemy is in lane don't use W on creeps unless you have an advantage and want to bait him into attacking you or zone him away from last hits. When you use his ult don't just leave it on especially to clear a wave. Turn it on and then turn it off after a 3-4 seconds. There's no reason to sit there in your ult if you don't plan to back. And are you kidding me? Swain's autoattack is very sexy compared to Anivia LeBlanc and many other casters.

Kaoelith

06-14-2012

you can level q first in a harder lane that they don't have a dash move to slow them enough to run away also, assuming top if mid stick to e

he is a decent top solo if you are in normals and get a dumbass who instalocks veigar with 10sec left

AlexxShadow

06-14-2012

How you want to start
Flash/Ignite Boots of speed,3 health potions

Get your W first (use it to initiate and escape ganks)
Get your E level 2 You might want to start trading hits(depending on who you face)
(Make sure you're farming that CS with Auto-attacks and last hits)
I'd get your Q level 4 and not 3

Typical 1v1 Fight
Initiate with your W if you're too far from them or E if you're up close(You shouldn't be)
Throw down your E and Q and then ignite just as they start to run away and if all went well they should die at tower

The biggest problem I see most Swains having is when to be defensive and aggressive You don't start out strong but your ability to harass is your strong point Pre-level 6

Some key things to remember is Look at who your facing Are they strong early on or later on?
Be aggressive towards the ones who start weak and defensive against the ones who start strong
My other advice would look at how you play in general
Most people have problems with not warding poor map awareness positioning last hitting and CS in general

My Item Build for Swain would be Boots of speed,3 health pots>Catalyst the protect>Sorc Shoes>Rod of Ages>Rabadons D Cap>Athenes Grail>Hextech Revolv>Zhonyas hourglass>Build Hextech into will of the ancients
It's a mixture of damage and survivability which I find very important in those teamfights