Thoughts on Darius vs. Jax top matchup.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MattinatorHax

06-13-2012

Just played my first proper game Darius (I tend to main support, off play AD Carry), but I had the opportunity to play him when I was 4th pick purple side, and they'd already picked Jax for top. I figured he'd trade fairly well with Jax, so I took the opportunity to actually play a solo lane, and a champ I'd never played PvP, for the first time in ages (I had a good idea of his mechanics already, so I wasn't going in blind).

Went boots+3, Q first, had to give a really hard leash for our Lee Sin on wraiths and red because our mid Malz was so lazy, so came into lane with about 75% health and 2 pots. He also had boots+3, and jumped me first up, at which point I AA'd and then Q'd when he was walking out and in the sweet spot for Darius' Q, winning the trade. This happened a couple more times, and I eventually just straight up pushed him out of lane. I ended up getting ~160 CS, taking 2 top towers and going 7/0/1 by 20mins, at which point they forfeited.

Now, this Jax made some pretty dumb choices this game (first item back in lane was Merc Treds, didn't help much vs. my double dorans, pushed the lane with autoattacks when I was out of it for some reason, exhaust/ignite instead of ghost or flash/ignite, etc.). However, the matchup just felt so strong for Darius. The Q is so strong early in trades, forcing him to take a heap of damage if he wanted to CS at all. The bleed on all abilities, ability to grab him in again, slow him, and then execute, it all felt so strong.

However, I was told after the match by the opposing Blitzcrank that Jax is usually a counter to Darius, which surprised me, and so I thought I'd get the thoughts of some people that may play top more as to how this normally goes.

So, here are my questions...

1. How does the matchup usually go?

2. If it is Darius favoured, what can a Jax player who gets counterpicked do to help level it out (or the reverse if it's normally Jax favoured)?

3. How was my general build? I went Boots+3 -> Double Doran's -> Merc Treds -> Phage + Giant's Belt -> Frozen Mallet -> Hexdrinker + Vamp Scepter, buying wards throughout.

Hexdrinker to Maw when I had the money, Vamp Scepter was to build a BT after that, probably picking up a second BT and a GA to finish.

Whatever insights you can give would be appreciated.

Biofighter

06-13-2012

1. Early game jax is pretty pathetic whilst Darius seems to be strong all game so I can see why that turned out well. Trades don't surprise me in the least either with ur pull and attack reset.

2. All I can see a jax do is get FARMED and tank other lanes to get to his late game ASAP

3. I like the build but double dorans seems over the top, I go boots pots - phage - brutaliser - frozen mallet - Atmas - ghost blade and by then I'm 24/4 and it's all over :3

Poko4Sho

06-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattinatorHax View Post
Now, this Jax made some pretty dumb choices this game (first item back in lane was Merc Treds, didn't help much vs. my double dorans, pushed the lane with autoattacks when I was out of it for some reason, exhaust/ignite instead of ghost or flash/ignite, etc.). However, the matchup just felt so strong for Darius. The Q is so strong early in trades, forcing him to take a heap of damage if he wanted to CS at all. The bleed on all abilities, ability to grab him in again, slow him, and then execute, it all felt so strong.
This, honestly, answers it all. Jax is free this week, so...you tell me.

1)Jax>Darius
2)Stay out of Jax's leap range, get Decimate in whenever it's safe.
3)Double Doran's = no, merc treads always situational, and probably should have bought Tabi, the rest is whatever.

Skilltestingman

06-13-2012

Jax

Lovegood

06-13-2012

First of all, because of Darius' passive and massive range on Q, he will ALWAYS win trades against Jax early game. No doubt, Darius is better in laning phase than Jax.

TheLastN0ob

06-13-2012

Even if Jax had of shut you down, it seems like Darius is designed for a comeback. I mean the way his true damage ulti gains damage. I mean I shut Darius down early game as Shen by being a bully and staying out of range. Late game, he got a pentakill, and shut me down when i was 9-0-22

Javier Pwns

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-13-2012

Darius has more damage at level 1 with the bleed and q.