Can I get banned for turning off the in-game chat?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ForgttenEmperor

01-04-2014

I've read so much QQ threads about people complaining about ragers, flamers etc.
Then I came across this guide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2LpcGO-JCg ( 2 mins into the video) on how to avoid all that.

I didnt even know you could move the in-game chat window till I saw that video ..

Anyway.. so I decided to try this and see how it felt like to play without any chat whatsoever, completely relying on Pings. I had like 4-5 good games. won few lost few. I started to believe that you probably didnt really need the chat to play and could depend on pings.

But in one game I played very bad and the team didnt ping much.. had no idea what they were saying but I knew the chat was going wild as i could hear new messages coming up.. I had made it a point not to check it, especially now that I was sucking, and was pretty sure they didnt have any nice things to say to me. Needless to say the 3 premades in my team reported me for "refusing to communicate" after the game. TBH i didnt say one word nor read one word of theirs.

Anyway I know I wouldnt always play without the chat window as it also gives timings on drag and baron etc. and its still fun to chat in games. but suppose i do this on a day I am in no mood to talk and take others ****. And ever so often if people do report me for "refusing to communicate" could I get banned?

TLDR - Could i get banned for hiding and ignoring the chat window.. and if i did. could i appeal cuz i only did that cuz i didnt want to put up with someone's filthy words for a few games?

NineTales9

01-04-2014

i personally keep the chat on screen, but never talk unless i'm with premades or i'm giving enemy Veigar tips

Rrett

01-04-2014

You don't need the chat at all with the current ping system.

ForgttenEmperor

01-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrett View Post
You don't need the chat at all with the current ping system.
Well that's what i thought, too. well atleast till 3 people in my team said, "Please report TF for refusing to communicate." at the post game screen.

Birdy reene

01-04-2014

if you pingeed, you communicated, you wont get punished.

ForgttenEmperor

01-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy reene View Post
if you pingeed, you communicated, you wont get punished.
I wish i could believe you.. but when they show the chat in the tribunal i dont believe i remember any pings showing up there.

Birdy reene

01-04-2014

If you know you pinged, You shouldnt worry. if my team is abunch of ******s I close the chat window and ping. I have yet to get banned.

BattleBootyRiven

01-04-2014

you cant get banned for that. For being toxic yes racism gay bashing, and harassing your team mates. trust me I know :< so many times I ignored people

EUW ForumAcc

01-04-2014

There was a guy who got a chat restriction for not communicating.

Personally, I consider everything potentially bannable, from intentional feeding to picking Teemo because ultimately, whether you get punished or not depends on two things:

a) Do many people report you?
b) Do the tribunal judges vote punish?

Whether you actually did something wrong or not is not being checked. It is implied that doing wrong things will get you reports more frequently and will make tribunal judges more inclined to vote punish, but that's the extent of the connection between punishment and "doing bad deeds".

So if I were you, I'd roll with it until you get a warning, then change behaviour for a while. Your history decays over time, so you'll just get another warning if you lay low long enough.

Izzy Da beast

01-04-2014

You'll get a warning before anything serious happens more than likely. Probably won't get banned for something like that, but why not just ignore the person who is talking trash? Not all people are toxic tbh. As soon as someone says something that you don't like just ignore them.