Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

people saying elo hell dont exist...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KingSnafu

06-12-2012

The people that say this, i think say it because they dont get what someone over 18 means by it. Elo hell is when u start the game (a noob) play ranked games as u either dont care or know what elo or ranked is,they loose almost all of there first 10 games before realizing they should learn how to play first. Since the season take a year to cycle through when that noob becomes good at the game and carries every normal game to a win, they are then stuck at that 500 or what have you elo they had.Making that slow climb back up to 1200+ elo hell

Blänk

Recruiter

06-12-2012

ELO hell is strictly a metaphor for someones ignorance. Nothing more to say about this it doesn't matter what ELO you are. As long as players don't talk **** to each other and work together there is no such thing.

xCry0x

06-12-2012

Elo hell is the idea that it is impossible to win enough to raise your elo because even as you get more skilled you are constantly put on teams with less skilled players that cause you to lose.

This is a fallacy because the other team will have their own group of 500 elo players while your team would theoretically have 4 500 elo players and yourself claiming to be a 1200+ elo player, which makes your team a better team.

Going from 500-1200 is not elo hell, it is just a pain because it is time intensive. The hell part is the playing with trolls/bad players part.

TeknoWizard

06-12-2012

I personally believe that your ELO, while not a perfect system, does accurately show your skill. As you said, as people start ranked, they lose a lot and their ELO goes very low. That is because it corresponds with their skill level. This "slow climb out of ELO hell" is showing your skill increasing. While trolls/AFK/Bad players may inhibit this, it still is showing where your skill is.

KingSnafu

06-12-2012

Quote:
xCry0x:
Elo hell is the idea that it is impossible to win enough to raise your elo because even as you get more skilled you are constantly put on teams with less skilled players that cause you to lose.

This is a fallacy because the other team will have their own group of 500 elo players while your team would theoretically have 4 500 elo players and yourself claiming to be a 1200+ elo player, which makes your team a better team.

Going from 500-1200 is not elo hell, it is just a pain because it is time intensive. The hell part is the playing with trolls/bad players part.

you realize your agreeing with me and then rewording what i said.

it is just a pain because it is time intensive. The hell part is the playing with trolls/bad players part. That is the definition of elo hell as in those 500-1200 they are much more frequent. Your definition is the for lack of a better word a noobs excuse for playing ranked when they are not ready. Looks like u completely misunderstood what i said as my first post explained this already

Rillain

06-12-2012

elo hell:
1.elo system made for single players and applied to team of 5
2. when you're starting out, lose-win lose-win hurts you while win-lose win-lose helps you because of the inflated initial elo gain
3. longer games = more elo involved- if you're good and you're on the winning team then you'll win fast and earn less... if you're good and you're on the losing team you'll lose slowly because you're carrying and you lose more elo.

KROTANK

06-12-2012

Quote:
KingSnafu:
you realize your agreeing with me and then rewording what i said.

it is just a pain because it is time intensive. The hell part is the playing with trolls/bad players part. That is the definition of elo hell as in those 500-1200 they are much more frequent. Your definition is the for lack of a better word a noobs excuse for playing ranked when they are not ready. Looks like u completely misunderstood what i said as my first post explained this already

You missed his point about the statistical irrationality of "elo hell." To re-iterate, you assume your elo is much higher than what it is currently ranked as. Thus, on your team, you have yourself, and 4 other players of "low" elo. The opposing team is made up of 5 players of the same low elo as the 4 players on your team. Assuming you're truly skilled beyond your current elo rank, this would mean that you'd climb out of 'elo hell' quickly. However, since you're not skilled beyond your elo rank, you're not in elo hell, you just hate having a low rank.

Male Privilege

06-12-2012

Quote:
Blänk:
ELO hell is strictly a metaphor for someones ignorance. Nothing more to say about this it doesn't matter what ELO you are. As long as players don't talk **** to each other and work together there is no such thing.

I don't think we're playing the same game.

yargomedeiros

06-12-2012

The problem is winning your lane hard but not being able to carry since bot fed and rage quitted, making it a 3x5. What makes me think something as ELO hell exists is the fact that despite always doing well on your lane or in the jungle, there is always someone ready to make stupid calls and proceed to feed a potential snowballer. Not to mention the trolls: I have seen a jarvan saying that his 3 year old brother wanted to play and went from 2/1/2 to 2/16/2 in 10 minutes.

DebosBike

06-12-2012

"Elo Hell" The range of ELO at which you can no longer consistently outplay your opponents and thusly win around or less then 50% of your matches(I.E. your current rank based on skill.)