Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


@ricklessabandon Forever Alone Ionic Spark

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GuiltyGecko

Senior Member

06-12-2012

Bump!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

06-13-2012

Quote:
KiIIerGecko:
Hey ricklessabandon, you know how you helped the community reason out when buying Haunting Guise was a good idea? I was wondering if you could do the same for Ionic Spark.

hmm... not really. at least, i don't think there's much confusion about the item in the first place.

haunting guise was an item that had a large potential audience: champions that deal lots of magic damage that want to deal even more magic damage. one of its biggest issues was that it was very unclear whether or not a haunting guise was 'worth it' in terms of cost efficiency and/or item slot efficiency.

ionic spark is an item that has a very small potential audience: champions that need both health and attack speed, want to split push, and are slow at clearing minion waves (this is pretty much just shen, and maybe teemo). since there are really only two items that give aoe damage on basic attacks, it's fairly easy to compare all the options to inform your purchase decisions.

i saw the item purchased a few times at mlg last weekend--iirc, clg would pick it up on shen for improved split pushing while boosting his passive. the item could be made to have more broad appeal, but i don't think there's anyone working on that at the moment. since it has a pretty clear scenario in which you'd want the item (and it functions well enough in that scenario), i don't imagine it would be a 'high priority' to look into in the near future.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shadow Sathe

Senior Member

06-13-2012

Quote:
ricklessabandon:
hmm... not really. at least, i don't think there's much confusion about the item in the first place.

haunting guise was an item that had a large potential audience: champions that deal lots of magic damage that want to deal even more magic damage. one of its biggest issues was that it was very unclear whether or not a haunting guise was 'worth it' in terms of cost efficiency and/or item slot efficiency.

ionic spark is an item that has a very small potential audience: champions that need both health and attack speed, want to split push, and are slow at clearing minion waves (this is pretty much just shen, and maybe teemo). since there are really only two items that give aoe damage on basic attacks, it's fairly easy to compare all the options to inform your purchase decisions.

i saw the item purchased a few times at mlg last weekend--iirc, clg would pick it up on shen for improved split pushing while boosting his passive. the item could be made to have more broad appeal, but i don't think there's anyone working on that at the moment. since it has a pretty clear scenario in which you'd want the item (and it functions well enough in that scenario), i don't imagine it would be a 'high priority' to look into in the near future.


Give it armor per attack like wits end but for counter AD


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zinwrath

Senior Member

06-13-2012

so we're making items for 1-2 champs now. We need more teemo specific items.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheUlf

Senior Member

06-13-2012

Quote:
Shadow Sathe:
Give it armor per attack like wits end but for counter AD


I like.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fox P McCloud

Senior Member

06-13-2012

Quote:
ricklessabandon:
i saw the item purchased a few times at mlg last weekend--iirc, clg would pick it up on shen for improved split pushing while boosting his passive. the item could be made to have more broad appeal, but i don't think there's anyone working on that at the moment. since it has a pretty clear scenario in which you'd want the item (and it functions well enough in that scenario), i don't imagine it would be a 'high priority' to look into in the near future.


even so, I think it was a poor choice for CLG; the total DPS it gives is lower than that of sunfire cape and it hits less minions when it procs; I think he could have split-push faster with sunfire than ionic.

That said, I know why he got it; for his innate...still dunno if it was justified or not.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Opreich

Senior Member

06-13-2012

volibear likes it.

moar lightning.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pika Fox

Senior Member

06-13-2012

Quote:
Shadow Sathe:
Give it armor per attack like wits end but for counter AD


Would make it a must buy. Bad idea.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ginga

Recruiter

06-13-2012

@Ricklessbandon

Did Ezreal ever mention anything about Ionic Spark during any meetings? He said he might consider bringing up Ionic Spark to make it an armoured version of Wit's End in a previous thread (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2142697&highlight=ionic+spark), yet we haven't heard of anything since.



As of right now, the item exists for the sole benefit of a single champion....and it's defensive component is really useless anyways. Would making it provide armour like Wit's End does for MR make it OP? Or how about if it behaved more like the lightning shrine in Dominion's chain lightning (where it procs with both Auto-attacks AND ability damage)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

06-13-2012

Quote:
Fox P McCloud:
I think he could have split-push faster with sunfire than ionic.

well, spark gives attack speed which works against towers and helps give shen more activations of his passive. it's a nice compromise between sunfire and wit's end, though you're probably going to want wit's end anyway since it's so good. :3

live design guys would likely have more to say about the item--i haven't heard much discussion about it in a while.