Let's Have a General Discussion About Dominion

1234567 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DarkDestiny

06-11-2012

I like both game modes. However solo que, im exclusive to dominion. Solo que in SR is terrible, if you get stuck with crappy teammates you have to put up with them for 20 to 90 minutes which really blows.

I only play SR when I que with friends because then its more fun. dominion is more fast paced and the games are shorter so its fun to solo que where as solo que in SR feels like walking through the gates of hell.

Sure 4v5 are near impossible to win but they are still possible and the balance in dominion is completely different then SR. Where as eve sucks in SR she can be pretty boss in dominion, and I believe more champions are viable in dominion then SR just because we take out a few mechanics that really plague SR.

DJTK

06-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakab View Post
Dominion would be a lot better if you didn't get punished for having a lead.

Also, typically the team with the better bot laner will win 90% of the time.
You don't really get punished for having the lead. It's more of an incentive to keep doing the better job and not slack off.

Ragnarocket

06-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakab View Post
Dominion would be a lot better if you didn't get punished for having a lead.

Also, typically the team with the better bot laner will win 90% of the time.
Not necessarily, I've seen plenty of games where a bad bot laner doesn't mean anything. Usually the team just has to shift tactics.

dev1lb3ast

06-11-2012

Its fun and a nice change from SR's slowness. Also really nice to play when I don't think I have time for a full 45 min - hr game of SR

bruce ıee

06-11-2012

As was already stated (sorta), it'll become much more popular once ranked hits. As it is now, it's just viewed primarily as a "doesn't matter how well I do" mode that people play when they take a break from SR. Personally, I love Dominion and will play it a ton once it has it's own Ranked mode.

Honestly, I'm not sure why it doesn't have ranked yet. Riot has stated (paraphrased, of course) that they wanted to delay ranked until Dominion's balance had settled and people had figured it out to an extent. I believe them, but I don't see them making any adjustments or balance changes regarding Dominion at all. They don't even spend hardly any time in Dominion during the champion spotlights anymore, just a build recommendation.
Hell, even Twisted Treeline has ranked, and everyone knows that mode is crazy broken and unbalanced. Dominion is way more balanced that Twisted Treeline will ever be.

Plz flip the switch for ranked, Riot It's been out for about 8 months!

Graszwhistle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-11-2012

some thoughts on Dominion:

It's definitely more team dependant than SR. You can go 20/0 and lose a dom easily, it's almost impossible to solo carry.

I like using Dom to practice team fighting with certain champs since you are in constant combat. Especially with high skillcap champs like leesin and ezreal. I almost never miss leesin Q after all the dom I've played with him, and I can stick to targets and peel like no bodies business.

The single most important fight is the first fight at top. Given the low champ levels and gold totals relative to tower damage, it is really hard to recover for about 6 minutes to take back top unless the enemy is retarded. Also makes the guy who is afk for the first 15 seconds a near auto loss even though it was such a short amount of time. Yeah you can still win, but you will lose about half your nexus points before you can retake top if you let it go unconstested at game start because of an afker.

Bottom is all about pushing minions and not having to go back constantly. The best bottom lane champs are those that have 1) high sustain 2) great lane pushing abilities 3) innate tankiness.

The best traits in dom to look for when selecting a champ are: mobility, surviability, ability to 1v1 duel, Lane pushing power (if going bottom), spammable abilities due to sustainable resource, and dmg. If a champion doesn't excel in at least 4 of these categories then they arent a great dom pick.

The best Dom champs are: Teemo, hiemer, Leesin, Jax, Akali, Pantheon, Gangplank, Singed, Shaco, Rammus, Maokai, Trist, Darius, Xin. There are more, especially if you take into account champions for bottom lane, but this is a solid list of the ones that can make or break a team.

IIxeenoxII

06-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graszwhistle View Post
The single most important fight is the first fight at top. Given the low champ levels and gold totals relative to tower damage, it is really hard to recover for about 6 minutes to take back top unless the enemy is retarded. Also makes the guy who is afk for the first 15 seconds a near auto loss even though it was such a short amount of time. Yeah you can still win, but you will lose about half your nexus points before you can retake top if you let it go unconstested at game start because of an afker.
I can agree to an extent, but there are strategies that cover this issue and top becomes less important at the start of the game.

Say you have an AFK for the first 15secs; in this case, you send one mid, one bot and 3 gank their bot. This makes it so they have to send help bot, then its on you to take top back while you have the advantage.
If they turtle top? send 1-2 to their mid to cap it while others push minions top.
(In a sense, split push/cap)

My thoughts, like everyone else has stated:
-plenty of strategy. I love clinching a win at 1 nexus point to the enemies 200+.
-less time intensive
-tons of action from the get-go
-almost all champs are viable

The posts about the individual score are unwarranted really, Your personal score doesn't change the amount of ip you gain, so why does it matter that you aren't top of the list?
In higher ELO games (I'm ~1700 solo que btw) your team recognizes how important bot lane is regardless of K/D ratio or score.

Rebonack

06-11-2012

What I hate most about Dominion is the time I spend waiting for games. It's pretty terrible. But more players would totally improve that aspect.

Despite that I feel that Dominion is generally fun and a great topic for discussion as it raises different ways of looking at the game we all love in a very general way.

General discussion.

HaIfhearted

06-11-2012

I actually find it funny that people complain about the strength of melee bruisers on Dom.

Many of my losses have come from the fact that my team hasn't had enough RANGED champs to actually beat the enemy team.

A ranged AD like Ezreal or Kog'maw sitting in the back of a fight just free-DPSing contributes so much towards actually winning that fight it isn't funny.

DJTK

06-11-2012

Bump.

1234567 ... 10