AD Malzahar - STOP THE HATE

12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mike Robz

06-11-2012

Just to provide some background - I am ~1800 elo right now with 600+ wins. Mostly do pre-mades with friends, but lately I am solo/duo queuing to spare myself the long queue times.

Too many times lately I have gone AD Malz bot and my team just rips on me the entire game. AD Malz has been proven to be a top pick for dominion. There are just too many people out there still that don't understand the build and shoot from the hip with 'AD MALZ NO WONDER - NOOB!'

Although the tooltip doesn't display this information, I believe Malzahar's voidlings scale off of AD and Armor Pen. Keeping this in mind, the logical build to play off this passive would be to max out CDR (Get Voidlings) and then build AD (auto attack damage/voidling damage) and tanky (Survive so your voidlings and kill people).

The build I have had the greatest success with is:

1. Boots
2. Tear of the Goddess
3. Merc Treads
4. Glacial Shroud
5. Manamune
6. Frozen Heart
7. Odin's Veil (MR) or Thornmail (Autoattacker counter) or Frozen Mallet

I usually start with 14% CDR with runes/masteries as AD Malz is weak very early. This initial CDR helps push the lane during lvls 3-8 or so. Then, mid game is cheesecake.

The goal of this post is to publicize AD malz a bit more.

STOP THE HATE!

DiscworldDeath

06-11-2012

You are preaching to the choir. Most players don't read the forum. Most people who don't read the forum and hadn't encountered a working AD Malzahar don't know that it works.

Try to get them to join the forum/chat-room, or just get to higher Elo.

Volandum

06-11-2012

You really need that Last Whisper.

FDru

06-11-2012

If you can't win as Facerollzahar I don't know what to tell you. Literally the only conscious action you need to make is putting malefic visions on the enemy bot, otherwise you just spam every button whenever they're up, doesn't matter if they actually hit anything, and then you win.

If you aren't winning, and it's not because you're getting 3 man ganked every 2 minutes, then your teammates were right, you are a noob and you should stick to Ryze.

Mike Robz

06-11-2012

Usually the hate comes after the second 4 man gank bot while my team still can't take top turret.

Ka0tiK

06-11-2012

If your team is struggling to take top pushing past the middle gap in bot usually leads to those 4 man ganks you speak of. On topic though, I think one of the reasons AD Malz catches hate is that there are players trying the build that do not adjust their play style from the standard AP or do not know how to control the minion to maximize the AD damage output he has. It has been proven that it is a very viable build, but not that everyone knows how or can do it. I personally do not play Malz either AP or AD but have seen both carry pretty hard.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-13-2012

I like AD Mal and have played him several times. Yes I do get the commentary as youve mentioned, but I generally do quite well with him so I don't get complaints. I have bungled a few games and got a LOT of hate for it though, so I understand.

Your build looks fine to me. My only recommendation would be to go with more Defense for that early game. I take 2-21-7 (2 in AD, defense taking the +health, +movespeed, +CDR, util taking max mana and movespeed).
I like the idea of more Offense but too many wasted points. Just 9 offense means 4 pts in Attack Speed which is totally worthless. More Offense would give my Sunder and AD/lvl which is good. But it makes me extremely weak early game.

I start Tear,Boots like you do.
However I take IONIC BOOTS ASAP instead of merc treads. Since my minions are doing a lot of the damage, I dont feel a huge need for the Tenacity and 850g for 25MR is horribly inefficient.
This also increases my spammage a lot really early on.
It also means I can take AD/lvl Reds/Quints, Armor Yellows, and MR/lvl BLUES instead of CDR blues. The MR is extremely helpful esp since you prioritize armor due to Glacial early on.

I rush the Glacial Shroud which means 30% CDR, plus however muhc of my 8.1%@18 Ive got by then.

This means I can take a Negatron/Antimagic to counter the enemy bottom without having to commit to the Frozen Heart if its not needed, while still getting a lot of fast CDR. I can even just take the Sapphire of Glacial and take MR earlier if needed and still have ok CDR.
You get 38.1% CDR with just a Glacial Shroud, and can max at 40% with Heart if you need the armor/aura. Or you can plan for the Heart and take 1 less CDR point in defense.

If you really don't see much need for armor due to their comp, consider subbing Spirit Visage and Brutalizer in place of the Glacial Shroud/Heart. I rarely do this but its an option.

After you have your Manamune, Glacial/Heart, ionic boots, you can also get HEXDRINKER which is a great item and builds from your antimagic you might have gotten.
That plus Odins = really high armor AND MR, with a virtual health shield and a bit better health than normal due to defense.

As a last item you could consider Phage/Mallet/Entrophy as desired, though it rarely gets to that. Plus the Maw upgrade which I usually never complete.

The key is DEFENSE which youve discovered. Trying to do a glass-cannon 'AD at all costs' is definitely NOT the way to go! But hexdrinker/Manamune give you really efficient AD while solving other issues too.
---------

But yeah, its a fun playstyle and similar to Yorick with more range but less toughness (early on at least).

Aparkhurst

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-13-2012

OMG what kind of awful nubcake plays Malzahar this way?

Nekrogen

06-13-2012

I see the hate from a different perspective; everyone I see play against Parky hates AD Malzahar. I don't despise him, in fact it's a pretty cool side effect based build, but he's certainly not that fun to lane against.

MMKH

06-13-2012

Can people start trying to gank the enemy AD Malz bot in the beginning of the game already.

12345 ... 7