Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I'm here to help all of you on how to counter morgana!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dimensionist

08-24-2010

I made this post in another thread and I feel I should repost this here. Apparently a lot of people have trouble countering morgana and feel she's overpowered.

Yes she's overpowered against incompetent opponents much like twitch is OP against anyone without a brain.

First and foremost if there's a morgana on the opposing team you have to buy merc treads which are the correct boots to buy in 90 percent of games anyway as virtually any champion. Merc treads still reduce a lot of the damage she's capable of dealing.

I've been maining morgana for a long time, I've been through her nerfs, buffs, reworks, I've played as her when some people felt the need to queue dodge her. Yes I've been queue dodged back when she went through her god awful nerfs to an already balanced champion. inb4 op only plays overpowered champs that take no skill etc.

I posted the below in another thread enjoy. I will try to keep this updated and answer any questions regarding morgana counters.

Quote:
Roku:
Morgana just does too much damage for the CC/Support she offers.

She can be a huge game changer, good team or not. Zhonya + Ult is ridiculous.

Quote:
Dimensionist:
Ok high elo council player I'm here to help as someone that mains morgana.

First what champion are you using that this is actually a real problem?

Katarina - Blink out of ult no problem
Ezreal - same as above
Tristana - same as above
Kassadin - same as above
Any caster with zhonyas ring - counter zhonyas ring with zhonyas I played against a really good vlad that had zhonyas ring, everytime I would do this he would use his zhonyas as well, omg hax right?

Akali - dash out
Xin - dash out
Shen - dash out
Nidalee - great counter to morgana.
Soraka - when morg uses ult in team fight soraka can use wish omg whole team is healed for more than morgana damaged.
Jax - can jump out of ult.

Any champion with cleanse can negate the slow effect and just move out of the way. Morgna has the slowest movespeed.

Any champion with flash can do the same.

Gangplank can remove scurvy the slow and just walk out. Also gangplank's parley completely ignores shield If a morgana has zhonya's ring chances are she hasn't built too much survivability, can be focused down whenever zhonyas isn't active. Who groups their entire team anyway shouldn't the assassin class and to some extent the carries wait until the tank has properly initiated?

Morgana can't even move with zhonyas ring just walk away wtf? Nobody is complaining about fiddle's ult he can do the same thing. Don't even get me started with Quick silver sash, you can just cleanse off 50 percent of the ultimate damage with the press of a button.

Here's another counter Banshee's veil, if your carry has banshees which often times they do, that banshees would have to be blown first or her ult is COMPLETELY useless against that person. Ever played a game as morgana where the entire team had banshees and merc treads? I have it's not fun by any means.

Another counter is countering her aoe with aoe of your own I can't count the number of games where I used my ult in a team fight only to have amumu counter ult, or gangplank counter ult, or gargoyle counter ult now both teams are under AOE fire.

Morgana has the longest cooldowns of any caster, banshees veil and/or guardian angel counter her hardcore. Merc treads still negate a large portion of the damage she can deal.

TLDR: Most champions have some sort of innate counter, easily available summoner spells serve as solid counters, and in game items that can be purchased by anyone and often times are (merc treads and banshees) are very strong counters.

Hmmm I call that balance when every champion has an easily accessible method as a counter yeah it can be hard at times but it's likely you're just getting outplayed.

Dimensionist

08-24-2010

Reserving this space for further tactics and strategies.'

Also here are some other tactics that have been extremely effective in fighting morgana.

Two words: Assassins and Gankers!

I can't even begin to tell you the number of games I've been in where I cast ult and only hit two or three champions... Why you ask? because the opposing team didn't all group up at once omg that was so hard.

Assassins and gankers mainly Akali, Warwick, Kassadin, Nidalee there are a lot of others of course.. basically these champions would stay back UNTIL i've blown my ult, warwick, akali, or nid would then step in to clean things up. If I don't blow my ult I'm limited by my long cooldowns on two damaging spells.

This strategy is probably the single best couner ive seen. Have your gankers/assassins do their JOB cleanup teamfights after spells are on cooldowns. You woudn't believe how many times I've seen a warwick, akali, or kassadin totally turn the tide of a team fight because morgana is *useless* while she's on cooldowns.

Either I blow my spells and they mop the floor or I don't this is a win win situation. Also team comps heavily geared towards mobility counter morgana hardcore.

I've been in games against a team like xin/garen/shen/ezreal/vlad and felt entirely useless. Either I did too low of damage or they had too many escapes for me to be able to do anything.

Edit: AP sion is an amazing counter to morgana, his shield can negate a lot of morgana's burst and if he's equipped with lich bane morgana doesn't stand a chance. I've seen far more game changing AP sions than I've seen of morgana.

Bucky Robinson

08-24-2010

morgana is comparable to the soldier in TF2. they're both easy to learn..you can do decent as them if you just pick up this game for the first time. but if you get really really into them, your skill truly shines and you can be one of the, if not the most threatening characters in the game.

its just..morgana is never a bad choice. ever. she's one of the best magic damage heroes in the game, she has plenty of CC and can shield a teammate to protect them from CC and damage. it's too easy to just pick morgana and then have the rest of your team be physical damage because then the other team either doesnt build merc treads/banshee's veil and gets raped by you, or they do and they get raped by the 4 physical damage champions.

and she's a no-win situation for the other team if they're pushing or defending. either you dont attack her and she shields her team from most damage/cc with her shield and can harass you with her Q and W, or you attack and you get ulted by her and destroyed. her and amumu are the cornerstones of the 'AoE metagame' that we have going on right now.

i suggest she gets a slight cd increase on her black shield..because right now her only bad point in the game is pre-level 7 or so. her mid and end game are just ridiculous and it's too easy to just stack AP on her because zhonya's gives you enough survivability and your cooldowns are JUUUUST short enough that you don't /need/ to get more CD reduction. her damage output will stay the same, but if the change is implemented correctly, then she should have to choose between a very powerful shield that has a longer CD, or a moderate shield that has a shorter CD. so she can still be built as an effective support or an effective DPS, she shouldn't be able to be one of the best DPS in the game and one of the best support characters in the game at the same time.

just my two cents.

Dimensionist

08-24-2010

Quote:
waffle007:
morgana is comparable to the soldier in TF2. they're both easy to learn..you can do decent as them if you just pick up this game for the first time. but if you get really really into them, your skill truly shines and you can be one of the, if not the most threatening characters in the game.

its just..morgana is never a bad choice. ever. she's one of the best magic damage heroes in the game, she has plenty of CC and can shield a teammate to protect them from CC and damage. it's too easy to just pick morgana and then have the rest of your team be physical damage because then the other team either doesnt build merc treads/banshee's veil and gets raped by you, or they do and they get raped by the 4 physical damage champions.

and she's a no-win situation for the other team if they're pushing or defending. either you dont attack her and she shields her team from most damage/cc with her shield and can harass you with her Q and W, or you attack and you get ulted by her and destroyed. her and amumu are the cornerstones of the 'AoE metagame' that we have going on right now.

i suggest she gets a slight cd increase on her black shield..because right now her only bad point in the game is pre-level 7 or so. her mid and end game are just ridiculous and it's too easy to just stack AP on her because zhonya's gives you enough survivability and your cooldowns are JUUUUST short enough that you don't /need/ to get more CD reduction. her damage output will stay the same, but if the change is implemented correctly, then she should have to choose between a very powerful shield that has a longer CD, or a moderate shield that has a shorter CD. so she can still be built as an effective support or an effective DPS, she shouldn't be able to be one of the best DPS in the game and one of the best support characters in the game at the same time.

just my two cents.

This invalidates everything you've just said. She can be a bad choice, although I admit she fits in most comps well.

However, the same can be said for Zilean, Soraka, Kayle, Ezreal, amumu, shen There's very few times any of those champions are bad choices. If you say your team already has too many tanks then shen is a bad choice. I can say that if your team already has 4 ap casters then morgana is a horrible choice.

TLDR: There are a lot of champions that are never really a bad choice either, when is warwick a bad choice?

Dimensionist

08-24-2010

Quote:
waffle007:

just my two cents.

This is where I disagree as well. Her mid game is where she shines the most. Her early game is lacking in comparison to Annie and her end game is overrated.

End game teams start getting banshees and there are a lot more powerful champions that begin to truly shine.

Gangplank has a much more ridiculous end game. I've been in games where my team had the lead we were winning, only to have gang plank, tryndamere, tristana, etc finish off their infinity edges and last whispers etc. and proceed to completely dominate.

Gangplank, trynd, tristana, ezreal, veigar, kassadin, twitch, sion etc have a much more frightening end game than morgana.

Decendt

08-24-2010

pfft... get Merc Treads and some other MR items....you're done with countering Morg... also grab ignite. See...I compressed all that in just one sentence that is easy to read and understand -_-#

Dimensionist

08-24-2010

Quote:
Decendt:
pfft... get Merc Treads and some other MR items....you're done with countering Morg... also grab ignite. See...I compressed all that in just one sentence that is easy to read and understand -_-#

Basically this, apparently that's too hard of concept to grasp even for so called high elo council members.

Ever since that one council member claimed pre nerf pantheon was impossible to lane against and was gamebreakingly overpowered, not everything they say is the automatic truth.

Fortunately not all council members are brain dead, IE: Elementz gives the council a good image.

ˆMakotoˆ

09-20-2011

Bump, a little out dated but it might stop some of the QQing.

Azellos

09-20-2011

more of a necro than a bump

Carados

09-20-2011

Quote:
Azellos:
more of a necro than a bump

Great post here.