AD/AP Range Champs...please stop going Glass Cannon

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phourc

06-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauldrath View Post
If you're relying on matchmaking... well, you might as well not play a champ that needs to be mostly glass cannon, because you won't be able to count on your team. This is part of why tanky dps rules solo queue, especially at lower elos - pure tanks rely on teammate dps and pure dps rely on teammates tanking.
Generally true (I soloqueue a hell of a lot of jax), but once a carry gets going hard enough it's great fun to be able to kill anything - their scaling is absolutely ridiculous once you get to your third or so item. Maybe after that I'd build a tank item, but the odds of me actually finishing it are pretty low as Dominion games don't really last that long.

I love playing Corki for that reason, he and Ez are both fairly safe carries with blink escapes and long range harass, if you and your team are decent you shouldn't need defense (and CDR boots are almost better than defense to keep your blinks up xP).

Levgre

06-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panwar View Post
Maybe, maybe not. It's not as easy as saying "Hey if you would have had a chain vest you could have cast 1 more time and lived." There are millions of different situations, and sometimes more damage is better and sometimes more defense is better.
I never said it was that simple, and that it was unconditional. But how many AP champs build spellvamp? How many AD carries build lifesteal? Obviously if you are building these stats you EXPECT to take damage, otherwise you would never have to heal yourself. Fact of the matter is, full out kiting is often not possible on dominion, nor Summoner's Rift. Having at least one good defensive item is a common, standard build.

As long as your attacker does not have void staff or last whisper, building a good defensive item greatly improves the effectiveness of each point of HP, making your lifesteal more effective.

In the case that the enemies you worry about have void staff or last whisper, you might prefer an HP option like Rylai's Scepter.

Another misconception is that adding a defensive item is ONLY for defensive purposes. If you are less squishy, you can be more aggressive. You can push in for a kill and not worry about melting in seconds. Corki has a shorter range armor melter, if you have some sturdiness you can go in close against bruiser champ at 40% and beat them, even if you are exposing yourself to damage.

Heck some AD carries can easily beat enemy tanks 1v1 with the right combination of lifesteal, armor/mr, and damage.

Purely1

06-11-2012

Spellvamp? I am a bit new and noobish but how is that going to help it if me as a LeBlanc burst in and out harder to get the target dead then either kite away with a mix of chains and infini flash, her kiting tools? I hit tab regularly to see if the enemy team is building any mres so I know if I have to pop out a void staff, so I do not see how their team benefits from mres either other than making me waste some gold on that instead of more AP vs their growing hp/offense. Genuinely curious here as am new and this question puzzles.

Redeemed In Fire

06-11-2012

On assassins like LeBlanc, you don't want spellvamp because if you can't one-shot someone then A: you picked the wrong target or B: you did it wrong. Spellvamp is better on sustained casters (like Mordekaiser, some Fizz builds, Swain, etc.), optionally that have good single target spells.