Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Katarina questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cenerae

08-24-2010

1. Is AD or AP generally considered the superior choice? Would the inferior choice be considered better under certain circumstances, and if so what?

2. If you're solo queueing, and as most solo queue games end up going, you have no initiator or good CCer to set up your ult, how do you go about getting a well placed ult off in team battles without being instagibbed, despite going in with a killer instincts enhanced shunpo? If I wait, then either my team dies or their team dies and I still have not used it.

3. How aggressive should I be during the lane? I feel that I can get some good damage in with an E+Q combo, but minion hits + possible counterattacks can often make me come off the worse. Yet just spamming Q does minimal damage (or it feels that way, at least).

4. Is it worth making defensive items to try and counteract the enemy lineup? Banshee's is a nice item but the mana is obviously worthless, for example.

Thanks for any assistance.

AIM7Sparrow

08-24-2010

Quote:
Cenerae:
1. Is AD or AP generally considered the superior choice? Would the inferior choice be considered better under certain circumstances, and if so what?

2. If you're solo queueing, and as most solo queue games end up going, you have no initiator or good CCer to set up your ult, how do you go about getting a well placed ult off in team battles without being instagibbed, despite going in with a killer instincts enhanced shunpo? If I wait, then either my team dies or their team dies and I still have not used it.

3. How aggressive should I be during the lane? I feel that I can get some good damage in with an E+Q combo, but minion hits + possible counterattacks can often make me come off the worse. Yet just spamming Q does minimal damage (or it feels that way, at least).

4. Is it worth making defensive items to try and counteract the enemy lineup? Banshee's is a nice item but the mana is obviously worthless, for example.

Thanks for any assistance.

1. AD. Bouncing blade hits multiple targets. Shunpo only hits 1. Also you'll be able to auto-attack after your ult is done/interrupted. AP is for people who don't know how to buy survivability and damage separately so they have to get a Rylai's.

2. That just sounds like you're screwed.

3. You are one of the best laners in the game. Be aggressive.

4. Every character needs some sort of defense. Banshee's is a great item on Katarina if they CC is heavy. Buy the red crystal and cloak first, then upgrade it all at once to the Banshee's so you don't waste slots on a blue crystal/catalyst.

Grimnecrosis

08-24-2010

Sniperness pretty much hit the nail on the head.

My thoughts on AD vs. AP...

AD is stronger late game and in team fights. The only time I will use AP is when I get mid and have a pretty good late game carry so I can focus on being strong mid game.

Others may disagree, but I have an easier time ganking and controlling the game in the middle stages (level 9-14ish) when I am AP. I find that having a slow and survivability from Rylai's really helps you ensure the kills when you gank side lanes.

Just keep in mind you will be weaker late game compared to an AD build.

Cenerae

08-24-2010

Thank you for the responses.

I guess I shall have to give AD another try, as I was fairly underwhelmed with it when I tried it out. AP seems to ramp up in power a lot quicker. :/

I'm supposing armor vs magic resistance is to blame.

Grimnecrosis

08-24-2010

Quote:
Cenerae:
Thank you for the responses.

I guess I shall have to give AD another try, as I was fairly underwhelmed with it when I tried it out. AP seems to ramp up in power a lot quicker. :/

I'm supposing armor vs magic resistance is to blame.

All of Katarina's spells are mitigated by magic resistance. It doesn't matter if you build her AD or AP.

TL Frolo

08-24-2010

AP kat
rylais = slows on everything
be very aggressive, get at least one point in W early to reduce the damage you take from minions/champions when you shunpo

Kamirga

08-24-2010

You will never get a definitive answer in AP vs AD, both are viable

I prefer the AD build because though the ult scaling between the two is about the same and AP offers alot more goodies(spell vamp, magic pen, rylai's) AP's damage is limited to ult and shunpo with BB doing minimal damage

AD's BB deals a lot more in a team fight due to it bouncing(esp with KI for poke wars) and shunpo is still a respectable source of damage but is saved more for escape(which i prefer haivng as an escape) and I find the BB much better in laning and snagging those last second kills

Kamirga

08-24-2010

Also be ridiculously aggressive, its what you do since you aren't limited early game except by cds and defensive items are always worth it(i usually get 1-2 BTs before i build defense unless i really need it)

virus3

08-24-2010

I think AD is better, cause most games I play lasts too long for AP build. AP is better in early & mid game.

I have another qustion about AD build.
1) Is buying Frozen Mallet a good choice?
2) And can I somehow slow enemies with ulti when I build AD cuz Frozen Mallet doesnt slow them because ulti dont deal phisical dmg ?

McKeegan

08-24-2010

Kat is one of the better carries when she goes AP. You just have to remember, she's a finisher, not an initiator. Wait for the team to initiate battle, Shunpo into the center or near their back side (so they have to run THROUGH you and your Death Lotus to escape) and light 'em up. Death Lotus' maximum damage is achieved through an AP build. Most people stack armor instead of MR, so when an AP Death Lotus goes off, it's one of the highest burst damage skills in the game.

Shunpo-ing to a particulary messy area of the battle makes it extremely difficult for the opposing team to stun you out of your ult. I've played AP Kat for probably 40-50 games, and I've been stunned out of Death Lotus no more than 10 times.

Even if you don't kill everyone (you won't) you'll probably kill/assist three enemy champs at a minimum, which eliminates the CD on Shunpo and makes it usable again. Use it to get out if things are going bad or gank the one or two low-lifers that are running away. If your Shunpo kills the 4th guy, its cooldown is immediately erased and you can Ace the last survivor.

Timing is critical, however. Do it too soon and you'll merely take down 2/3 to 3/4 of everyone's health and everyone else on your team gets the kills. Time it right and you could set yourself up for a pentakill. I've only quad'ed with Kat, but a pent is possible in this manner.

The major problem I have with AD Kat is that BB and Shunpo don't do enough damage in a team fight. Together, they won't kill any single champion (though, they will heavily damage a single champion), and several champs can walk right through Death Lotus.