Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Is sitting out to balance teams report worthy?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Boostz or Boots

06-08-2012

Howdy,

So a little while ago, during a solo unranked game, the other team had a member disconnect before the game officially started. As it was unranked, I offered to sit out (make the game 4v4).

Let's just say my team wasn't too happy with the idea to say the least, with a particular member getting very aggressive, threatening to report and get my account banned. He reasoned being afk and griefing, even though I was just watching the game from the starting zone.

I mean, I can understand if it was a high ranked game, even if it's a tad dirty to 5v4 when the other team has a disconnect for no reason, but this was just one of thousands of normal games, which you don't have to invest too much into.

Does sitting out in this situation mean something negative? Will I potentially get into trouble, or is it okay to 'not participate' in this particular instance.

Cheers
- Boostz

WhiteMriswith

06-08-2012

This would be a very dark-grey area. AFKing is reportable, and bannable, but I would probably pardon that one instance of it if you clearly stated the reason for your AFK in chat at the start of the match. That is not to say it is ok, but in my opinion I would give you a pass just because you were trying to be a fair player and let the teams have an even footing.

In short, yes you could be suspended for this, no I would not vote to suspend you

BangsFatties4Elo

06-08-2012

I probably wouldn't punish this, but it depends on exact circumstances.

It's probably best to save this courtesy when you're in a premade 5 man.

iatre

06-08-2012

Easy punish for me, particularly because your team wanted you to play. If the entire team was okay with it, it would be a grey area, but this is a clear punish. It's your job to win at all costs. You were quite literally assisting the enemy team by sitting out. And that's against the rules.

SimplyAlive

06-08-2012

Also, what role were you and what role DCed? Were you sure the other player wouldn't connect soon, or was it random DC at the start?

CorruptDictator

06-08-2012

While I appreciate what you were trying to do, if the rest of your team does not approve it does become a punishable offense.

Heaviest Flow

06-08-2012

That's a tough one.....
On one hand your making the other team very happy,
On the other your angering your teammates.
However if you simply play you don't anger anyone because no one expects you to sit out.
I dunno, personally I'd pardon as long as you explained why, even if a few teammates wanted that advantage I can see how it's not proper sportsmanship.

Carteret

06-08-2012

Technically afk is against the rules, and you certainly didn't cooperate with your teammates, so I understand why people would punish. But I wouldn't punish it, not in a normal, so long as it was your only offense. You were being nice to your opponents, and your teammates needed to chill, imo. I would punish in a ranked, though.

In the past, I've just suggested surrender votes in this position. You can't get punished for that. Plus you can't displease your teammates this way. If your teammates aren't cool with being nice to your opponents, they just click 'no.' In the future, I'd recommend using this.

Anyways, I wonder if you'd actually get banned for this, or if there enough people like me who would pardon. Hmm.

Shiister

06-08-2012

I would say yes, since you afking and not helping your team. Even though your enemy has one person missing don't give you the right to afk to even things up.

Boostz or Boots

06-08-2012

Quote:
SimplyAlive:
Also, what role were you and what role DCed? Were you sure the other player wouldn't connect soon, or was it random DC at the start?

I was jungle Udyr. Can't 100% recall but I believe the dc was Fiora top. He/she ended up being offline the entire game.

Thanks for the replies all.