Religion in Runeterra

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LimitlessChaos

06-07-2012

This is something that really isn't discussed in any of the backgrounds of existing champions and aside from a few champions who are either representations of traditional religious figures (Kayle and Morgana) or something close to zealots or fanatics and prophets (Malzahar of course) there's not much to clue us in.

It seems like Runeterra (the parts we know about, anyway) is a world largely disconnected from spiritual things and metaphysical concerns. There's no stated creator myth of the world involving some god or gods like "TERA" (I use this because it puts a nice healthy twist on the all-powerful-beings-make-a-new-world-somehow angle...and it's similar to Final Fantasy X's little "it's a dream" plot-twist)

So I ask...what do you guys think about the religions that we don't see? Surely, since the average Runeterran is similar to the humans controlling the champions they eagerly watch, they must have concerns and as such, faith in something greater/larger/more powerful than they are that influences life. I don't see a singular belief-system being dominant but there's got to be something, given the existence of godlike champions like Nasus, Renekton and Anivia (I realize that technically, Nasus and Renekton aren't gods but are very mighty and some of their kind looked on themselves as gods) there's got to be something out there.

I'd like to see a creation myth established some day, at the very least. Runeterra (Rune Earth?) is a pretty cool idea for a world - innately magical and who doesn't love power coming from glyphs/signs/etc like runes? I'd just like to see if we'll ever see this idea expanded. I would guess it's also some case where you want to both avoid any overly-striking similarities to real-world religions to avoid parallels and whatnot and to avoid replicating the enormous pantheon of a game like Dungeons and Dragons or some other world with a ton of gods of supreme, major, minor and who-knows-what-else status.

Thoughts? Creative team welcome (and encouraged through persuasion ala Talon) to offer their insight as such can be said at this time.

Fenix12345

06-08-2012

Riot doesn't like to get into touchy topics like religion, it's why all references to it are deliberately vague, so as to show they have a neutral standpoint and aren't favouring any view on life. There are Gods, Tear of the Godess is said to be a single tear from the creator of the universe (I like to think of it as Shurelia myself), and there are void cults, the Shojin monks (Buddhism), the Solari (sun worshipers), and necromancy. So all of these portals are open, but LoL simply leaves the choice to the player on which they want to go with, or if they want to go with one at all.

Balderdinger

06-08-2012

Yeah, when I was working with a team to create a fan set for a popular CCG, we ran into issues and questions of creation and religious history.

The decision was made to keep everything as vague as possible so as to not turn the game into a point of contention on those kinds of bases. We could allude to certain possibilities, however, we rarely said anything definitive.

The focus was on the game and the story contained within it. Questions and discussions of creation and mythology always seemed to spill over into real-world discussions and detracted from the focus ... the game. I'd imagine that Riot would take a similar stance.

LimitlessChaos

06-08-2012

See you're absolutely wrong there.

No one has knife-at-throat debates or fights over Dungeons and Dragons or any other of the many, many games out there with full-blown religions thrown in.

Hell, there was an entire arch of the old DnD campaigns (back in the very old days) that involved the "Overgod" banishing the not-so-over gods to the moral plane - the culmination of all of these events result in gods dying, mortals becoming gods and the Overgod imposing the need for worship of the gods for them to be sustained as a way of making them do their jobs.

So I think you're absolutely wrong if you think including some sort of defined beliefs would cause a meltdown or remove some kind of focus - the game's backstory really doesn't influence anyone's focus on the game and I don't see how anyone would get into a remotely worthwhile or serious fight over religion in League of Legends unless Riot deliberately made two that are analogous to two that are believed in outside of the game and having one triumphing over the other or some such.

Having the myth and the beliefs gives a lot of life and motivation to the characters...you can only push "FOR MY NATION" so far and the "cults" and "monks" and such really don't have much representation in the story so far. The game needs a bit of plot that goes back - Runeterra is again, a very cool idea for a world and there's literally nothing so far that explains why it is there, yet there are things like Tear of the Goddess?

I also don't think the game gives the player an option to "go with" anything - this isn't an MMO so there really aren't choices of that kind of impact. I want to see religious bodies of some kind just because it'd expand the plot stems a lot and give way for newer champions with different motivations and powers.

Thematically, belief-systems and religious organizations offer a lot and realistically don't bring about doom and destruction because the playerbase sees parallels and such. Even Warcraft has "the Holy Light" and while they sort of ruined it by revealing that it's space aliens, it was cool before TBC came out and did that.

Fenix12345

06-08-2012

Sigh, did I say I was the one taking that viewpoint? No I did not did I? Riot is their own company, they make the descisions. LoL is only 3 years old, and Lore by other gaming companies takes a long time to develop. It's kinda unfair to compare Riot to Blizzard or D&D who have had a lot (and I mean A LOT) longer to work out the kinks and how receptive their player base will be to certain ideas and concepts, along with what their player base actually wants. They're being cautious, and it's understandable because no matter how much you sugar coat it there are people who will dislike something and willingly turn almost anything into an argument. Just be patient, you'll see more eventually.

MadLock

11-05-2012

This thread is quite entertaining.