What counters Garen top

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Etherimp

06-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by solcroft View Post
I play both Garen and GP in a regular basis, and GP does not counter Garen top. Sure, Q spam on Garen sounds great in theory, but in practice what usually happens is that your mana regen and Q damage won't be able to keep up with Garen's tankiness and sustain.

Teemo on the other hand is a very solid Garen counter. You kite him all day long, harass with blind and toxic shot, and shroom the bushes to prevent him from camping there.
This.

Teemo, a good Yorick, a good Riven, a good Cho'gath.

Although admittedly, Cho'gath vs Garen is more of a skill matchup.

Both have great sustain. Garen can't spin on Cho without being ruptured. Both can silence one another. Both are tanky. Both have an execute ultimate... though Garens has more range and is better vs Cho than Cho's is against Garen.

Olaf is also quite good if played properly. If he starts to Q towards you, you axe him and run away.. Once his Q is down, you can freely harass him and win exchanges.

OriginalJack

06-08-2012

Gankplank works really well for me. That tiny dot from his passive keeps garen's passive from kicking in and like other people mentioned champs who can harass him from range do well. Make sure you bring exhaust and if garen does try to come at you then you can usually just kill him.

Deasula

06-08-2012

I would agree that most ranged tops give him a hard time because they out poke him. its had to farm minions for stacks of his w if he is being damaged every time he goes for a last hit.

Eulogistics

06-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalJack View Post
Gankplank works really well for me. That tiny dot from his passive keeps garen's passive from kicking in and like other people mentioned champs who can harass him from range do well. Make sure you bring exhaust and if garen does try to come at you then you can usually just kill him.
As a player of both GP and Garen, early game this is a really bad deal (to me) because GP's mana cost for Q is so high. If you're trying to proc passives on him with Qs, that means that you're not using it to last-hit minions and get the bonus gold, and GP is only good for like 4 Qs before he's OOM and then you need to go in to last hit. Mid-game and late-game? Now we're talking about item builds and farm, but early game is not good unless the Garen is bad or your jungle is camping the lane.

NamidaTekika

06-08-2012

Swain can annoy the ever living hell out of most tops, and I personally like running Top Swain since Nevermove I think makes every melee top hate me forever.

Throw a torment now and then in and with Swain's passive you can keep mana flowing and constantly harass.

Not to mention if you wanna check a bush throw Nevermove in it from a good distance. If Garen is hiding he'll be getting out quickly!

INSANENESSFTW

04-15-2013

best way to counter garen is by warding every bush. cause, guess who is in the bush?

totalwar235

04-15-2013

garen is a very melee oriented char. don't expect anyone going head to head with him will win and don't try to kite a good garen(his q gets rid of movement decreases). go with anything with range. yorick, jayce, teemo, some tanky adc's(Quinn, or graves)

a good garen build crit chance and movement speed in lane. counter by building armor or **** tons of pots(itll help in the early laning phase). and also get a good gank from your jungler. a good garen does not(normally) ward and after lvl 6 pushes lane hard

Jalkan

04-16-2013

lulu top counters him good, it's easy to avoid being silenced if you are ranged, if he runs at you with his q it just makes it easier for you to land your q slow on him, in lane keep poking him

Lethadind

04-16-2013

You need one of two things:

1) Someone who can 100-0 him, because he will outsustain you if you don't.
2) Someone who can constantly keep harassing him. Once Jayce gets tear he can do this more or less. Teemo is a horrible pick against Garen though, unless the Garen is retarded. Championselect says Teemo counters Garen but it isn't true, it's entirely a skill matchup. Garen outtrades Teemo, but if Teemo can kite Garen then he shuts him down.

I play Garen and the one who gives me the most problems (I **** on Irelia, at least in my division, until like level 9, when laning is over anyway) is Darius. When Darius is intelligent he outtrades Garen. Just don't let Garen bait your cooldowns. Again Darius vs Garen is a skill matchup, and they have similar ults (executes at approximately the same amount of health), but if you either hook him every time he gets too close, or you trade blows if he tries to come at you, you will come out on top. The only thing you can't do is allow him to bait your hook and miss, because then he will basically destroy you.

I'd imagine someone like Fizz, who can burst engage and disengage quickly, would do quite well against him. The silence wouldn't really matter, and Fizz's empowered W would do more than Garen's spin to win, then Fizz can disengage once silence wears off with W. Only issue you'd have is mana.

Best of luck dude.

EDIT: AAAAAAAaaaand just noticed this thread was necro'd. Lol.

Proto99

11-03-2013

Nunu. Nunu counters Garen hard when played correctly.

Let's break this down, shall we?

- Garen's Abilities:
Passive: High life regen when out of combat for so long.
Q: Cleanse, speed boost, silence.
W: Very strong armor/MR shield. (2-6 seconds)
E: Whirlwind of damage, which can target you without causing minions to attack him.
R: Huge single-target nuke below 40% life. (IMPORTANT) - this is Magic Damage.

- Nunu's Abilities:
Passive: Every 5 attacks gets a free cast.
Q: Devour a minion for a free CS and large heal.
W: Move and attack speed boost.
E: Ice ball for slow and damage output.
R: Large AoE slow and nuke.

-

A Garen player will immediately argue that Nunu is not a counter because his slow will not affect Garen, due to his Q Cleansing it, followed by arguing that Garen does not have to target Nunu to burn him while he runs in for CS.
- All valid points. However, Nunu can work around Garen's abilities.

I won't go into a full build guide, just a general counter-play strategy.

Here's how this usually goes against any Garen:

Garen sits next to minions waiting on you to run in for CS so he can run in and whirlwind for a quick burn on you and his minions in lane, keeping you from feeding as well as boosting his own feed while his regen keeps him in-lane.

Garen finally gets you close to half-life, runs in with his Q, whirlwinds again, then ults. GG.

- This doesn't work on a good Nunu.

Here's why: (There's a lot to this, sorry if it seems a little jumbled-up.)

Garen relies heavily on his E and passive for lane sustain and overpowering his opponent through starvation.

Nunu's work-around for Garen.

When Nunu runs in for CS, he can get some auto attacks off while Garen runs in with whirlwind, when Garen has finished pitching his fit, Nunu can devour a minion, speed himself up, and slow Garen to get away.

- Here's why the Garen players are wrong:

A good/stubborn/angsty/TPS Garen will always argue the same point: "I can just wait and use my Q to remove slow. Oh, nunu's gonna ult? Q! NOPE."

Nunu can easily troll even a pro Garen because of this. Nunu can keep his distance and just ice ball a Garen that wants to save his Q for Nunu's ult, or once Garen has used his Q, pop his ult right next to Garen. The main reason Nunu counters a Garen is all he has to do is match Garen's move speed and Garen will never be able to catch a good Nunu due to his Q having such a short speed burst.

Meh, I'm tired of typing. But yeah, there it is, for the most part. .