Who are the Yordles? And what do they look like?

123456 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Balderdinger

06-08-2012

It certainly could be possible. I don't have a problem with theorizing it.

However, since they are, by all appearances mammalian, I will assume that they reproduce as such. I'll leave the eggs to Anivia (and Fizz?).

Vulking

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balder1718 View Post
It certainly could be possible. I don't have a problem with theorizing it.

However, since they are, by all appearances mammalian, I will assume that they reproduce as such. I'll leave the eggs to Anivia (and Fizz?).
There are plenty of weird male/female interactions in the animal kingdom to chose from. =P

Just look at:

-Birds of Paradise
-Side-Blotched Lizard
-The Ruff
-Kiwi Bird
-Grouses
-Bonobo
-Tamarins
-Discus Fish
-Seahorse
-Spotted Hyena
-Cuttlefish

Balderdinger

06-08-2012

Surely ... but I was talking more about the egg-laying. Yordles seem to share characteristics with mammals, which don't lay eggs ... period.

The only exception is the duck-billed platypus, which is kind of an exception in and of itself.

Although, since they seem to model the appearance distinction of birds (males being more ornate than females), one could make a connection to them being more bird-like in other ways as well. Even their fur could be said to be feathers (like the Shi'ar alien race of the X-Men comics).

But I'd need a lot more to go on before seriously entertaining something like that. So I'll stick with, they are mammalian in biology and therefore do not lay eggs.

Vulking

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-08-2012

Quote:
Surely ... but I was talking more about the egg-laying. Yordles seem to share characteristics with mammals, which don't lay eggs ... period.

The only exception is the duck-billed platypus, which is kind of an exception in and of itself.

Although, since they seem to model the appearance distinction of birds (males being more ornate than females), one could make a connection to them being more bird-like in other ways as well. Even their fur could be said to be feathers (like the Shi'ar alien race of the X-Men comics).

But I'd need a lot more to go on before seriously entertaining something like that. So I'll stick with, they are mammalian in biology and therefore do not lay eggs.
But... but... think the hilarity of a Kiwi Bird like reproduction cycle.

But hey they may just look humanoid, maybe they are plants. :O

IGotCareless

06-08-2012

Quote:

\
All four species of echidna also lay eggs.

Have people actually guess that Annie is a Yordle? I mean, Nunu is hard to see under the coat, so I understand someone guessing that, and Fizz looks like a sea-Yordle, but ANNIE?

Also, they look mammilian, but Runeterra has magic, who's to say Runeterran babies actually arenl't carried around by a magic clan of storks in the North, or something? Stranger things have happened in lores, after all.

Sifas

06-08-2012

Nice info on this thread, thanks man!

Vulking

06-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotCareless View Post
\
All four species of echidna also lay eggs.

Have people actually guess that Annie is a Yordle? I mean, Nunu is hard to see under the coat, so I understand someone guessing that, and Fizz looks like a sea-Yordle, but ANNIE?

Also, they look mammilian, but Runeterra has magic, who's to say Runeterran babies actually arenl't carried around by a magic clan of storks in the North, or something? Stranger things have happened in lores, after all.
I find it ludicrous silly that anyone with 2 functional brain cells would even think Annie could be a Yordle, I mean, I assume people at least read the lore of the champions before discussing origins, races and such.

Balderdinger

06-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulking View Post
I find it ludicrous silly that anyone with 2 functional brain cells would even think Annie could be a Yordle, I mean, I assume people at least read the lore of the champions before discussing origins, races and such.
The same reason people think that Nunu might be one. She's little and they don't read the lore.

I don't know if anyone has ever actually proposed that Annie is a yordle. I was simply going through the list and identifying anyone whom someone might possibly conceive as one.

The argument for Nunu being one is that he's supposed to have "grown up" with the yetis, however, he's still small enough to ride on something's back ... so he must be a yordle. But the word "human" is used in his lore and so we should probably just regard the lore as stating he's been growing up with yetis, but is not yet fully grown ... or imagine something else.

Fenix12345

06-08-2012

I remember a Red post during the reveal or somewhere around his initial release (by RiotRunaan?) saying that Fizz wasn't a yordle, but that his race may have diverged from them somewhere along the evolutionary chain.

And the ears http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...151136#7151136 there you go. Basically a ton of magical beings get them, they're quite a common theme for females. And it looks like the male theme is turning blue/purpleish (speculation there but is funny)

Balderdinger

06-09-2012

One might say then the yordles are somewhat magical by nature, making pointed ears kind of their norm. So the more human-looking ears adopted by Heimerdinger and Corki are actually a result of their embrace of human technology.

Rumble's a purist, so he gets to keep his.

Doesn't say much for Ziggs though ...

123456 ... 7