A reference for what we want to see in the Lore

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gentleman Gaston

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-30-2014

The goal here is to collect all of the desires and wants of the Lore community in one thread. Including (but not limited to): particular style of storytelling, expansion of the aspects of already established characters, individual events or characters that have been referenced in other places you want written about, and inconsistencies or glaring plot holes. I'll update this main post with either a full quote or summary of each idea and that way, hopefully, it'll be a quick and easy reference for both potential ideas or things needing of updating/editing.

Suggestions for things we want:

1. Champions
  • More relationships and items referenced in VOs
  • More in-game quests (e.g., Rengar/Kha'zix)
  • Story progression/Continue dropped story threads
  • Champions having a closer tie to the world
  • Give Evelynn a real backstory
  • Needed Retcons
  1. World
  • An established official timeline
  • Expansion of the world and non-Champion characters
  • Updated world map
  • Item based lore
  1. Out of Game
  • Lore-centric AMAs, preferably in this forum
  • Increased number of non-release/event character pieces/fictions
  • Officially display cataloged Lore on the website/game client
  • Rioters to interact with us as fans and as writers

OuttaControl56

04-30-2014

I want global lore to be updated and I want romantic VO lines.

Fuel my ships.

Also more interactive quests and VO towards specific champions and items for champs that already have been released.

Melancholy Exile

04-30-2014

Nice idea for a thread.

I realise it's nigh impossible to hope for at this point, but I would really like to see some sort of effort from Riot to put together a reasonably coherent timeline and delve a little deeper into establishing the history of the setting. Even if they don't want to say too much about the Rune Wars, I'd still like to see an effort to actually build the mythology of the setting beyond the surface details needed for mysterious ancient beings.

Similar to the above, I would like to see more pieces that actually fill in the perspective of ground-level characters - the ordinary citizens of this fantastic world. Jinx's rampage through Piltover suffered a great deal, in my mind, from the fact that we weren't given any sort of civilian context to actually show how heavily it impacted the lives of common Piltovians. While Jinxs promo video showed a mad thrill-ride, her wanted poster's and Vi's "City of Crime" presented the image of mass murder and destruction in a place where "peace and order reign[s]". I feel the use of something a little like the JoJ or Twitch's new bio in format could have served very well to show how severely her arrival had impacted the City of Progress.

I would like to see more incidental pieces which aren't purely tied to new champion releases or part of a big event. The lore would benefit massively from an effort to develop the characters of the Champions as actual people and show them going about their lives and interacting with each other. Similarly you could also use this as a route to expand on the institutions of Runeterra. Use a Lux-centric piece to tell us more about Demacia's college of magic and the nature of magic itself within the setting, show us something of Viktor, Singed or even Doctor Mundo to actually build up the presence they have in Zaun or build up the hype for the war in the North by showing something of both Ashe and Sejuani as leaders.

I've already expressed this in another thread, but I would like to see the return of lore-centric AMAs to this forum. The lore comes across as an extremely downplayed and unimportant aspect of more recent post-release AMAs on Reddit and I have a great deal of nostalgia for those halcyon days when they were hosted here and we got a very real sense of the lore team wanting to help us fill in the blanks.

I would like to see more in-game quests as I can't help but feel like they're a massive missed opportunity at this point in time. Give Varus a quest to hunt down X Noxian Champions when he's pitted against them in a match, charge Draven with earning over X gold through adoration stacks ove the course of a game, pit Kassadin against Void creatures, Syndra against Ionians - all sorts of little things that reinforce the lore by adding elements of it into the game itself.

A big one: Actually establish a dedicated lore section of the site and archive your material, AMAs and other useful information there rather than forcing players to rely on Google and the unofficial wiki if they want to try and gain an understanding of it. Put your lore on display rather than burying it deep in a musty corner of the forums.

Playing off that last one: Commission a new and improved world map along with new artwork for major cities and locations within the world. Give us iconic images of the grandeur of Demacia or the dank underbelly and upper echelons of Noxus and let us get a real sense of your setting as it stands today. Show us the culture clash between Vi's Piltover and Caitlyn's Piltover; let us see the rural Demacia from whence Quinn hails; give us an insight into the crumbling, cyclopean city where the Void found Kassadin. So much of your world could be wonderful but for now it's little more than a few scattered sentences hidden away on the League of Legends wiki. Help us get a better feel for this place you've created.

I'm sure there are far more that I could come up with at length but that's a decent start.

IceHound

04-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Gaston View Post
Things we Don't Want:
Retcons, although they can be good the majority of the time it's simply taking stories we like and completely changing them.(see Trundle's lore)

A complete timeline would be awesome, it would finally clear out the champion ages issue.

Otherwise that I simply want progression, give us the rest of the book Riot, we don't want just the prologue.

LordHippoman

04-30-2014

Let's clear out this dumb shipping ****. Either ignore it or canonically pair some characters so we don't have to listen to the unending barrage of who Ahri should be banging or how Lux/Ezreal makes Riot Nazi sympathizers or whatever that dumb argument was. (Preparing for Fanfiction forum mass downvotes)

Please followup on the stories we started and then dropped. Katarina's dad? Jarvan/LeBlanc switch? Hello?

Explain, please. It's fine to have mysterious origins for characters, but say SOMETHING, please. Having Shaco/Morde be "lol, i dunno" for 3 years is overkill.

More interesting characters with lore involvement. Swain is cool, he's a mastermind who plays people in the background. Yasuo is not. "I killed my master/wait no i didn't/lol"

Please, no more retcons.

RasCaelestis

05-01-2014

Slightly related to this... A few days ago, someone on Surrender@20 asked about the Jarvan = LeBlanc conspiracy and what its origins were. I remembered that it was from one of the JoJ stories, and went to go look for it. Half an hour of searching on the main League of Legends site, and I still had found nothing linking me to the JoJ. Eventually I just Googled the thing, but that showed me just how hidden the old lore is. Imagine a new player trying to find out more about their favourite champion or the world of Runeterra.

The lore was part of what got me interested in this game. I'm not going to deny that the "Trials of the Poro" video was awesome and adorable (I love Poros) but I do feel slight regret knowing that Braum will most likely never get a League Judgement, or interview in the now-dead JoJ. He got a cool little video, but there's no doubt that the Poro was the star of the show. Some champions also got short one-page comic strip-style introductions. They had these, and a few paragraphs of text outside the main Champion Biography. One of my personal favourites was Viktor's. It might just be because he's my favourite champion in the game, but it stuck with me. In just a few lines of text and very sketchy art it shows way more of his character and personality than the entire "Get Jinxed" music video did for Jinx's character. Sure, she's a crazy nutbag that likes explosions. That's about it. The comic probably took much less time to do, but it seems as though far more quality went into it. As I said, this is probably just my own bias flavouring this, but I do wish things like it were still considered by Riot. Like the JoJ, I'd probably not be able to find it on this site, but for those interested I'll post the version I have saved.

Braum's and Jinx's videos were neat, I will admit, but I do miss the small additions Riot used to make to broaden champions' personalities and show what happened outside the Fields of Justice. Now it just feels like those videos are all we're ever going to get and it is slightly disappointing.

Here's the Viktor comic I mentioned. I know Nautilus had one, and either Pantheon or Leona (one of the Mt. Targon people) had one as well. There are most likely more, but I do not know for sure.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  97.3 KB

Gentleman Gaston

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHippoman View Post
Let's clear out this dumb shipping ****. Either ignore it or canonically pair some characters so we don't have to listen to the unending barrage of who Ahri should be banging or how Lux/Ezreal makes Riot Nazi sympathizers or whatever that dumb argument was. (Preparing for Fanfiction forum mass downvotes)

Please followup on the stories we started and then dropped. Katarina's dad? Jarvan/LeBlanc switch? Hello?

Explain, please. It's fine to have mysterious origins for characters, but say SOMETHING, please. Having Shaco/Morde be "lol, i dunno" for 3 years is overkill.

More interesting characters with lore involvement. Swain is cool, he's a mastermind who plays people in the background. Yasuo is not. "I killed my master/wait no i didn't/lol"

Please, no more retcons.
I pretty much agree with everything you've said here, but I disagree on the 'shipping' comment. There's nothing inherently wrong with shipping. I'm gonna paraphrase this tumblr post about shipping, as I think it equates what I'm trying to say (note: the post is specifically about television, so I'll edit where necessary).

Quote:
Shipping, in and of itself, is a natural occurrence. It means that you like a [game], like the characters, like their interactions. It means that those talented people who make the [game], the writers, the directors, the actors, everyone who contributes to a scene, are doing their job right.
By saying "X character is with Y character or else they're with no one!" is pretty silly, and actually limits your ability to tell stories. Characters interact with each other; that's what builds the world and gives it life. By that nature, some people will take certain character interactions and build a relationship out of it, and that's okay. That's not the problem. The problem is when people start turning that purely headcanon 'ship' into a "it's canon or bust" mentality. It's not a war. Again, from that post:

Quote:
Shipping culture has taken over to the point where nowadays I often see valid criticisms and discussions of the [ship] dismissed out of hand, simply because someone believes that someone else could only possibly be proposing said argument or critique because they are on an opposing team. And, Iím sorry, can we PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD remove ďTeam [CHARACTER]!Ē from our cultural lexicon, at least in the realm of shipping? Just that word, Team, shows how wrong everything is about shipping culture nowadays...Itís not me vs. you, where only one our opinions can win...And your enjoyment should have no bearing on my enjoyment and vice versa.
Additionally, Riot rarely acknowledges ships. They should not at fault because of the community's immaturity. THAT said, there's no reason to push romance onto the game as well. People who want champions to make romantic remarks to each other based on ships are being equally as ridiculous.

EpicSmurfAccount

05-01-2014

I just wish the Riot Lore team got non-lore team Rioters to read the lore and see if they can make any connections from a player/fan point of view.

Lore geeks like us come up with all of these conspiracy theories where we find all these links between a new character's lore, and the World that LoL Lore has already established AND IT ALL MAKES SENSE. I don't think the Riot Lore team even look at these kinds of things for inspiration, even though all the work has been done for them.

Nami needs a moonstone? Better not create a link between her and the one Lunari left in existence.

SecretLore

05-01-2014

While I don't want unneeded retcons,I think there are still some needed retcons(*prepares for downvotes*)

For example what I find kinda jarring are characters who come from a different world(not counting the void,as that world is actually fleshed out a bit more).
i am actually fine with morgana and kayle being form another "world" as they are angels so it is fitting for them to come from a different plane of existence(although I would like it if their world gets a bit more connected to Valoran).
Even nasus/renekton are ok to some extent,as they are based on gods,although i don't see the reason why they weren't made to be from shurima and are instead from an almost identical place from anther world.

But overall it is simply overused,I mean come on,where is the point in taric being from a different world?It just screams "well we didn't know where he could be from"
Same goes for malphite.
And then there are shaco,nocturne and fiddle where it also looks like they just couldn't come up with a cool place of origin for those and simply went with "otherworldly terror"

Imprisoned characters are also difficult.
I mean we all want more stories,but what story could they tell us about a guy who is in prison every day and basically can't do anything outside of it?
Not to mention that it makes the champ a bit unimpressive if he was captured and is now more or less a slave to the summoners.

Stofen

05-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretLore View Post
While I don't want unneeded retcons,I think there are still some needed retcons(*prepares for downvotes*)

For example what I find kinda jarring are characters who come from a different world(not counting the void,as that world is actually fleshed out a bit more).
i am actually fine with morgana and kayle being form another "world" as they are angels so it is fitting for them to come from a different plane of existence(although I would like it if their world gets a bit more connected to Valoran).
Even nasus/renekton are ok to some extent,as they are based on gods,although i don't see the reason why they weren't made to be from shurima and are instead from an almost identical place from anther world.

But overall it is simply overused,I mean come on,where is the point in taric being from a different world?It just screams "well we didn't know where he could be from"
Same goes for malphite.
And then there are shaco,nocturne and fiddle where it also looks like they just couldn't come up with a cool place of origin for those and simply went with "otherworldly terror"

Imprisoned characters are also difficult.
I mean we all want more stories,but what story could they tell us about a guy who is in prison every day and basically can't do anything outside of it?
Not to mention that it makes the champ a bit unimpressive if he was captured and is now more or less a slave to the summoners.
Taric and Mal I'll give you but that's it.
-Shaco is basically a huge Joker tribute, and one the Joker's biggest shtick's is that nobody knows what he was before. You can't get rid of the mysterious origin without losing the Joker mystique. That, and I'm not sure I want to see what Shaco could be Retconned into (he was Lissandra's jester hue).
-I'm pretty sure Nocturne had a similar case like (old)Maokai where he was born from the overuse of magic in TT. Besides, there's plenty of stories you could have with Nocturne: escaped horror, foolish interview ala Ram Steed but with more mind stabbing, a monologue where we go into the mind of the terror, etc
Quote:
Physicians were baffled until a Field Architect happened to pass out next to a nexus on Twisted Treeline. Witnesses said he cried out once and then stopped breathing. Immediately after, magical energy arced out from the nexus, and Nocturne appeared.
-Old Fiddle had actually come from the Shadow Isles mysteriously to start killing things. Mysteriously. At least with the current lore he's got some nice menace and creepiness to him. And come on, he's a creepy scarecrow, he doesn't need characterization.