[Guide] Itemization, Strategy and Tips for Corki

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheI3east

05-10-2010

GG is a one point wonder as well. The damage stays the same throughout the game, the only thing that increases is the armor penetration and duration. It truly doesn't shine until later in the game. Valkyrie is truly DEVASTATING as a nuke early game, quickly jumping from 60 to 120 PER SECOND in just 2 levels, maxing out as a devastating 180 damage per second.

If you leave it at level one (60 dps) people will have no fear whatsoever of running through it, but with a maxed out Valkyrie, they're absolutely forced to run around it if they don't want to take 360+ damage.

It's a personal choice, both are one point wonders and both perform they're main role as early as they're first point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicChicken View Post
Ya, I tried going:

mana crystal> boots > sheen > triforce > 2nd tier boots > b.cleaver ... and this seemed to do pretty well. I was going for guinsoo's when game ended, but it didn't matter (0-8-1 TF ftl). I did alright though, 7-4-5, and I know I coulda done better if I was more use to corki's skills (kinda stumbled my way through 2 fights)

Solo definitely seems like its a must, b/c the gold and XP is just too valuable. I also went with flash + exhaust which helped be get FB against an over-aggressive Ez ...

... still, I feel like my killing power is minimal most of the game. It comes in chunks, like right after sheen, and right after tri force, and right after b.cleaver, my killing power goes up markably well.

I still need improvement though ... I'm wondering, are these good summ-spells (exhaust/flash)? Also, I was thinking about this, but b/c of tri-force, it kinda makes sense in fights to cast then attack, then cast again ... in a rhythm of sorts. I gotta get that timing down I guess.

Btw, I dropped the idea of getting a brutalizer early ... sheen is way more worth it.

Any other suggestions out there? L33tz say this corki is bomb (no pun intended), and I'd love to hear more from them (and get a feeling of "why"). He still doesn't feel like a carry yet to me.
I personally go Teleport/Flash. And you're right, solo mid IS invaluable to Corki, but it isn't impossible to go into a solo lane.

The trick with Corki, as you said, as he is EXTREMELY XP and Item dependant, and scales incredibly well with both, and as such Teleport is a great choice so you can make sure you're in your lane at all times.

You've already noticed the main issue with him, he snowballs in chunks, right after Sheen, right after Trinity Force, and right after Black Cleaver. The trick is to use those moments to either push your opponent out of the lane, go ganking, or both, so that once you have those "jump ahead' moments, you STAY in those moments.

I find that Doran's Shield/Teleport/HP Quints is extremely useful, because it allows you to constantly harass the opponent. The goal here is to harass them out of the lane so that you can pull ahead of them in both XP and items, and cripple them (usually they're the other team's carry, which is even BETTER.)

My strategy is to follow the Ashe philosophy. Auto attack harass when they're exposed, use a skill to harass when you know you can get both them and 1 or 2 minion last hits at once (easy to do if they hang around the caster minions), and start saving up mana starting at lvl 5. Once you hit level 6, throw around a missile every now and then until you've thrown out 3, let them push to or past the river. Once this happens, flash to them, valk over them, turn on your GG, Phos Bomb them, and start missile spamming (making sure the first one, The Big One, hits), and they will die almost EVERY time, rarely fails unless they've out harassed you early on.

Somewhat long winded, but hey, Corki needs some good players, FAR underplayed hero!

MagicChicken

05-12-2010

That thinking on Valkyrie makes a lot of sense. Lots of Damage Per Second on a nuke, and AP isn't really needed to make it better ... just levels. Still, with MR-redux, and the fact that valk usually puts you in a bad position, I'm still not sure if its good early game. Maybe I just need to figure out how to use it well still.

BTW, this guide and other ppl's suggestions put Phos Bomb as the #1 build priority. Thoughts?

DevilishBlade

05-12-2010

To Lightenningfst:
Probably, your guide is nice, but i ll never agree with you that Corki is one of the best game champs , because once i went from 15-6 to 21-15 with nearly the same build because they started focusing on me so much because Corki has no chasing disables(not even a slow) at all which makes him like a beef slice that dies in less than a second... So best game champions are not the champs that can do pure damage like Corki without any kind of disables or otherwise, Ezreal would be so much stronger than Corki since his Ult can kill from anywhere on the map if he's using it fine... So , Corki can't be even ranked in the top 10 of LOL champs ... That's all...

MagicChicken

05-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellDragon View Post
To Lightenningfst:]
i' ll never agree with you that Corki is one of the best game champs
I would agree with you normally, but then I see posts like the ones I've linked to below, from what I would assume are higher elo players, and I gotta think there's something to it. Obviously, a good player can make any hero good, but if enough good players think one particular hero is "top tier", you gotta listen. Ask them questions, and find out why!

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=97215
https://www.leagueoflegends.com/boar...ght=l0cust%27s
https://www.leagueoflegends.com/boar...%27s+teamfight

Maybe corki really is that scary?

1337SuperNewb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-12-2010

Berzerker = big no no.

Truffles

05-12-2010

Interesting guide. Just somethings to point out. If people before me have already posted these things up then ignore.

First of all, if you play any dps hero without cleanse, you are asking to be CC, focused or both, and basically taken out of the fight. Cleanse saves lives.

Berserker boots are bad. Use merc boots instead.

You're build works. Personally I go with:
1. Sapphire crystal+ 2 hp pots
2. Upgrade crystal to Catalyst and start buying boots.
3. Upgrade boots to merc boots or ninja tabi, depending on enemy team makeup.
4. Phage.
5. After phage, Black Cleaver. Works very nicely with gatling gun.
6. If game is still going on, then upgrade catalyst to Banshee's Veil.
7. If game is still going on, then finish it with frozen mallet.

This build gives me good damage and survivability. And I find the most effective.

Still good guide. Its always nice to bring some Corki awareness.

xzymethx

05-13-2010

best items are imo leviathan and occult, simply because corki is the best champ in the game which gets assists and kills ( due being the only one with 4 aoe spells)
i often get it up to 20stacks

Lightningfst

05-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellDragon View Post
To Lightenningfst:
Probably, your guide is nice, but i ll never agree with you that Corki is one of the best game champs , because once i went from 15-6 to 21-15 with nearly the same build because they started focusing on me so much because Corki has no chasing disables(not even a slow) at all which makes him like a beef slice that dies in less than a second... .
So I have to apologize, its been a while since I checked the comments here, and a lot has changed since my last posting!

Couple things I want to address, my item build makes high use of sheen for burst, which is why I rush it as fast as I can. It leads to early game kills and can help snowball quickly. Catalyst isn't bad to stay in lane longer and somewhat addresses the mana dependency, however Golem buff can really help out with this too. Early game a Sapphire Crystal and a few MP/5 runes are usually enough to stay in lane until lvl 5/6, get a kill and head back to finish your sheen and maybe get boots.

There are games where I change the build order depending on the situation - depending on how well I am farming, the other team composition etc. If the other team is CC/AP heavy, a Banshee's and Merc Treads is definitely on the menu instead of Berserker's Greaves.

To the quoted: The main point is to be on the outskirts of the battle as opposed to inside of it. Let the tanks and melee engage while you peck away at max range using phosphorus bomb to give a miss chance, rockets for AoE, and yes you do want to use a rhythm if possible where you alternate a skill and attack to maximize sheen/AD damage. Valkyrie is your way to open the gap to those who want to focus fire you, and believe me if you are doing your job, they will do just that. Make them run through your whole team to get to you while bursting them down. If its 1v1, this item build allows you to burst down a champion at incredible speed using sheen procs. Also, building Phage/Trinity Force gives Corki a good chance to slow on hit. While not guaranteed, it works in nicely with the added 130% bonus damage from Trinity Force proc, and the additional move speed and crit bonus doesn't hurt either. =)

TL;DR
The guide is exactly that - and not the Bible of Corki. You should always build your items as needed to counter the other team. And as a general rule, don't stand at melee range in a team fight, you will die very fast that way. Use Corki's range and mobility to stay alive.

Lightningfst

05-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicChicken View Post
That thinking on Valkyrie makes a lot of sense. Lots of Damage Per Second on a nuke, and AP isn't really needed to make it better ... just levels. Still, with MR-redux, and the fact that valk usually puts you in a bad position, I'm still not sure if its good early game. Maybe I just need to figure out how to use it well still.

BTW, this guide and other ppl's suggestions put Phos Bomb as the #1 build priority. Thoughts?
Phosphorus Bomb is your best early game nuke before you get rockets. If you want to have a chance to get kills early game you gotta level it. Some people suggest a higher priority on GG, but without good damage items I find it to be a waste of time/mana unless your goal is to scare off the other person. Half the time I pop GG the other person runs out of range which either forces me to valk into them (can be risky) or turn back.

Also for consideration - if you use your early game levels to spread out over skills, you will end up using far more mana for roughly the same damage. If you want to maximize your mana efficiency, it is better to level up your other skills first, then branch out to GG when your items make it a more viable damage source, or when the other team stacks armor forcing you to counter.

As for using Valk and getting into a bad position, this usually happens when you are trying to kill an enemy and then all his buddies show up and clean your clock. Save it for midway through a teamfight if you can, to either retreat or chase if you have the advantage and they are running. The only other battle scenario would be if you know none of the other enemies' buddies are going to show up. Using Valk as a nuke during a team fight is a good way to get killed in short order.

The advantage to leveling up Valkyrie over GG is that you reduce the CD significantly making it available possibly more than once during an encounter.

Theorycrafter

05-29-2010

Handy. Consider adding an AP build for all those deeming AD to be inferior.