Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


why aren't people told the reasons for their punishment?

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carteret

Senior Member

06-07-2012

I'm just curious. I've never been punished or warned myself, and I hope never to be.

But I'm under the impression that, when people are punished, they aren't usually told the reasons. That's why we get a bunch of posts in here from people asking why they were banned.

Why not tell them automatically? Like, why not tell them it was leaverbuster, or give them the report-types that were reported, or whatever. I mean, we want people to be able to reform, that's why we have a progressive system of punishments. I understand that most of the time, people probably know what they were punished for, since it's obvious. But whats the harm in giving them the info anyways? It would help make sure things are clear, and maybe a little bit of clarity might mean that people reform a little bit more. So I see no harm, and a small possible gain.

I figured I'd make a thread about this, since honestly I can't think of a good reason. I can think of reasons, but they're not all that compelling in my head. Maybe you guys know?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AbiqSpidA

Member

06-07-2012

It's because when you message them and ask why they use an automated answering machine basically to reply to you. They don't actually read the message you send them.

Riot is really starting to treat there community terribly, anything that doesn't have something to do with them gaining more money they let robots and trolls in the Tribunal deal with.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SimplyAlive

Senior Member

06-07-2012

I'd also prefer some more information personally.

Pendragon has commented on this in the past and it basically came down to the idea that players won't use the given information to change their behaviour, but to argue about it. (Which is understandable if you see the average thread in which Pendragon or another Rioter gives people the reason)

However, I personally think it should still be done for those who truly had no idea about their behaviour and want to change. They shouldn;t be kept in the dark due to the stupidity of others.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carteret

Senior Member

06-07-2012

Well let me be clear. I don't think Riot is doing anything wrong, I honestly believe they know what they're doing in this case. I'm just wondering what the reasoning is. I'm guessing they know something that I don't know.

Anyways, so far as the "automated answering machine" thing goes, I'm imagining that they could easily add "leaverbuster" or "offensive language" or whatever to their automated punishment emails. Going into details, like quotes from cases, would be difficult. But it would be easy enough to tack report-types into automated emails. (Right?)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carteret

Senior Member

06-07-2012

Quote:
SimplyAlive:
Pendragon has commented on this in the past and it basically came down to the idea that players won't use the given information to change their behaviour, but to argue about it. (Which is understandable if you see the average thread in which Pendragon or another Rioter gives people the reason)


Ah, so there's the answer. Thanks!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Irongrinder

Senior Member

06-07-2012

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1127837

The answer(s) Riot provided is under #23, but don't take this reply as one that supports all of their reasons. Like Simply, I would also like to see more information provided.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

theshim

Senior Member

06-07-2012

Quote:
Carteret:
But it would be easy enough to tack report-types into automated emails. (Right?)

The trick there is when people don't bother to select the real offense, or when people snap and report someone who's not playing well for Intentionally Feeding, to give an example. That 1/7/5 Lux may have just been having a bad game, and there's nothing wrong with that, but when she spends the entire game spamming "omfg worst retrd noob team ever go kill yourself fkin noob" (almost a direct quote, that!) and then gets an e-mail saying "suspended for Intentionally Feeding", they'll flip their lid.

I would like more information as well, but it would have to be correct for it to be useful.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DebosBike

Senior Member

06-07-2012

Quote:
Carteret:
I'm just curious. I've never been punished or warned myself, and I hope never to be.

But I'm under the impression that, when people are punished, they aren't usually told the reasons. That's why we get a bunch of posts in here from people asking why they were banned.

Why not tell them automatically? Like, why not tell them it was leaverbuster, or give them the report-types that were reported, or whatever. I mean, we want people to be able to reform, that's why we have a progressive system of punishments. I understand that most of the time, people probably know what they were punished for, since it's obvious. But whats the harm in giving them the info anyways? It would help make sure things are clear, and maybe a little bit of clarity might mean that people reform a little bit more. So I see no harm, and a small possible gain.

I figured I'd make a thread about this, since honestly I can't think of a good reason. I can think of reasons, but they're not all that compelling in my head. Maybe you guys know?


Don't be mislead by the posts in this forum, the users more often then not know exactly why they are banned, what you are reading is a big ol' "THIS IS UNFAIR" after they check their e-mail and don't agree with the reason they were banned.

They refuse to accept that their behavior is to blame and instead its the tribunals fault. They don't consider what they did verbal harassment so they come on here and grossly exaggerate everything, usually citing their actions in the last game as the reason they were banned. This is why you see so many people saying "I did nothing and got banned" or they cite some trivial extremely minor thing that they did in that game like saying the word noob once or "gg" and try to claim that they were banned from only that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iatre

Senior Member

06-07-2012

Quote:
Carteret:
I'm just curious. I've never been punished or warned myself, and I hope never to be.

But I'm under the impression that, when people are punished, they aren't usually told the reasons. That's why we get a bunch of posts in here from people asking why they were banned.

Why not tell them automatically? Like, why not tell them it was leaverbuster, or give them the report-types that were reported, or whatever. I mean, we want people to be able to reform, that's why we have a progressive system of punishments. I understand that most of the time, people probably know what they were punished for, since it's obvious. But whats the harm in giving them the info anyways? It would help make sure things are clear, and maybe a little bit of clarity might mean that people reform a little bit more. So I see no harm, and a small possible gain.

I figured I'd make a thread about this, since honestly I can't think of a good reason. I can think of reasons, but they're not all that compelling in my head. Maybe you guys know?


As has been mentioned before, Riot actually doesn't KNOW the reason why the players were punished. The reports that were sent in often have NOTHING to do with why they were punished by the Tribunal.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DebosBike

Senior Member

06-07-2012

Quote:
iatre:
As has been mentioned before, Riot actually doesn't KNOW the reason why the players were punished. The reports that were sent in often have NOTHING to do with why they were punished by the Tribunal.


A riot staff member reviews the cases before assigning the punishment so they know.


12